Questions before I buy - R4i 3DS Gold Card - 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JoblessPunk, Feb 25, 2013.

1. JoblessPunk
    OP

Newcomer JoblessPunk Newbie

United States
    Hey guys,
    I'm a complete n00b when it comes to any Nintendo Handheld. I've never owned one before, but I just bought my girlfriend the Pink 3DS XL. I've done a lot of research before I buy a flash card, although if someone could help me make sure I'm buying the correct items that would be greatly appreciated.

- The current firmware on the 3DS XL is: Ver. 4.5.0-10U
    - The flashcard I'm looking to buy is the R4i 3DS Gold Card
    - The Micro SD card I'm looking to buy is the SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card

Questions:
    1 .) I'm going to buy the R4i 3DS Gold Card from here:
    www.dwtechz.com/r4i-gold-revolution-for-3ds-p-16963.html

[​IMG]

a. In the description it says the R4i 3DS Gold Card is already updated to work with the 3DS XL 4.5.0-10, although is this a trusted source?
    I found this website by going here:
    www.r4ids.cn/buy-r4i-e.htm

b. If I need to update the R4i 3DS Gold Card, I would updated it from here:
    www.r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm

[​IMG]

Is that correct? do I need anything else besides just copying the new files to the R4i 3DS Gold Card (such as a DS with a lower firmware?)​

2.) From what I read, I need a Micro SD card to put in the R4i 3DS Gold Card.
    I plan on buying this:
    www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB-microSDHC-Memory-Package/dp/B003WGJYCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361668141&sr=8-1&keywords=microsd+card+32gb

[​IMG]

a. I read that the R4i 3DS Gold Card can only read up to 32GB micro SD card, is this still correct? or can I buy a 64GB micro SD and it will work?​

I think that is everything I need and need to know. If there's anything I missed please let me know.

Again, thanks for reading and any help is appreciated :)

2. TyBlood13

Member TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

United States
    You can use a SDXC card, if you use a program other than windows formatter to make it FAT32. There are several programs designed to do this for drives to be used for Wii backup loading (amongst other things).

3. JoblessPunk
    OP

United States
    thanks for the reply,
    Is there a SDXC card you recommend / where to buy a good one?

4. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    The card you're buying already has the latest patch applied for 1.4.5, so there's no need to flash it again. Just drop WOODR4 1.56 onto the card with Moonshell 2.10 stable, drop your roms and emulators on there, and away you go. :)

5. JoblessPunk
    OP

United States

w00t w00t :) thanks!

6. tobiasoO
    This message by tobiasoO has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 19, 2013.
    Feb 25, 2013
  7. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    the R4ids.cn R4i Hold can only Support 32gb max anyway
    no cards support more than that

8. blaisedinsd

Member blaisedinsd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Be aware that their is a good chance future 3DS firmware upates may block your card at which point your options will be to not upgrade your firmware (which means no access to the eshop and possible some new games) or to get a new card.

My R4 has been blocked since the latest update and I only had it for about 2 months before it got blocked. Luckily I also have the DStwo which has never been blocked for long.