Questions before getting wiikey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by m0nk3y, Aug 11, 2007.

Aug 11, 2007

Questions before getting wiikey by m0nk3y at 5:03 PM (1,242 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. m0nk3y
    OP

Newcomer m0nk3y Member

United States
    I'm thinking about getting a wiikey but have questions, i have been modding my psp and ds for a long time so im used to the whole hacking thing, but the thing is i have no experience soldering and don't want to mess up my wii my stepdad does but i dont think he'll want to do it, my wii was bought a week after launch so the legs aren't cut and thats good, my firmware is 2.2 the that comes with super paper mario, also what modchip do you guys recomend

thnx in advance

2. m0nk3y
    OP

Newcomer m0nk3y Member

United States
    can someone help me at all

3. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I can't help much, as I haven't modded my Wii, but I do know that the pads you have to solder onto are extremely small and close together. If you wanna do it yourself, definitely read up on soldering and practice on an old computer chip a whole ton before you try it. You might wanna think about looking on Craigslist or something for someone you can pay to install it for you.

4. gamez2003

Newcomer gamez2003 Advanced Member

Australia

I would recomend you get the wiikey thou they are a little slow with updates the chip in my opinion is the most advanced and best priced ATM.

If I were you i would look for a professional then you can blame them if it breaks [​IMG].

I would recomend you to some installers but I dont know any in the US.

5. xhaborymx

Newcomer xhaborymx Advanced Member

United States
    It was one of my first times soldering anything. If you go to RadioShack or whatever and buy a real fine-tipped 10w iron with the smallest gauge wire they sell and you take your time and tape over all of the other contacts and go one at a time, you should be fine.

6. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    at the moment, wiikey is lagging behind on updates.. all chips basically do the same, which is enable backed up GC and WII games and GC homebrew. Where the wiikey update lacks is gamecube audio-streaming and dvd9 support (which 50% of the consoles could possibly support)
    So the main thing would be audio streaming, which is only a handful of cool games.. So it doesn't really matter what chip you take, wiikey, cyclowiz, etc. Just don't get a wiikey clone!

7. m0nk3y
    OP

Newcomer m0nk3y Member

United States
    thnx guys ill probley get a wiikey if i get the guts to install it

xhaborymx wat do you mean by taping over other contacts sorry noob at this

8. manias

Netherlands
    If i recall, cyclowiz is easiest to install and has full updated functionality so might go for that one.. or wait for a wiikey update [​IMG] (if you care about dvd9 and gamecube)

9. m0nk3y
    OP

Newcomer m0nk3y Member

United States
    well i have a dvd player and i burn my own movies so thats not a problem for me and i also dont play gc games any more

i still might go for a wiikey because i saw one for $17 on the official resseler list

10. avexdevil

Newcomer avexdevil Member

Australia
    i got some guy to do it for me. i was watching at the side as he pulled the wii apart and did the solder. it looks you need some skill, it took him only 15mins, but i can tell if you don't know wth you're doing, it's gonna be a hell of a time.

11. gamez2003

Newcomer gamez2003 Advanced Member

Australia
    lol dvd9 is spose to be hard on the laser and is not recomended that you use dvd9 [​IMG]

12. manias

Netherlands
    yeah.. lol..? [​IMG] but indeed, the only main concern for some people is the audiostreaming yadayada