Hacking Questions and concerns with GateWay 3DS

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I made a thread similar to this in the past:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-few-questions-about-gateway-and-emunand-before-i-get-stuff-done.379334/

But I still feel rather confused on what I can or can't do.

I probably sound really stupid, but all I really wanna be able to do is use Gateway and such like normal, but I also want to be able to still use all of my currently owned eShop and retail games too.

Correct me in spots on whether I'm allowed to do this.

-Use Gateway as normal, adding 3DS ROMs and such.
-Install CIAs for updates and DLCs
-Use my current eShop and retail games like normal, without having to convert save files and whatnot. (like just slotting in Smash 3DS or NES REMIX and playing, or continuing Pokemon AS that I downloaded)
-Play online with games that allow it.

Currently, I have the stock 4GB SD card in the 3DS. Would I be able to just insert a bigger one (say, 8GB) and just copy-paste all the data from the 4GB to the 8GB? Since it's still the same 3DS? Cause with Pokemon, I feel like a lot of my space went away, but since I'm stuck on 9.2, I can't delete it and redownload on eShop without updating firmware. (Hell, it won't even let me pick Save Data Backup on settings for that title)

Please respond as soon as possible, and thank you so much.

If things need to be explain in "dumb people terms", please do so.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only issues right now come from downgrading. If your firmware is above 9.2 and you have games which use 6.x decryption (Sm4sh, Link Between Worlds, etc) will loose their save if you downgrade (even if they are cartridge games).

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only issues right now come from downgrading. If your firmware is above 9.2 and you have games which use 6.x decryption (Sm4sh, Link Between Worlds, etc) will loose their save if you downgrade (even if they are cartridge games).

What if I decide to just not downgrade?

I honestly don't mind having to connect to the internet to run the exploit each time. My cellphone is one of my Access Points as personal hotspot, so I can even do it outside of home and stuff.

So if I don't downgrade, can I still do things just as I described it? And can I copy-paste my 4GB SD stuff to an 8GB?

FearItSelf23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I only lost smash bros albw still plays even though I downgraded /shrug.

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bumping this up.

I was able to copy-paste my stuff from one SD to another, but I'm still wondering what can be done about keeping my eShop and Cartridge save files, without downgrading.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Currently, I have the stock 4GB SD card in the 3DS. Would I be able to just insert a bigger one (say, 8GB) and just copy-paste all the data from the 4GB to the 8GB? Since it's still the same 3DS?

Okay just to be clear,

You just want to copy stuff from one SD to a bigger SD, with usage on the same 3DS right?

1. backup the files on the smaller SD card onto your computer.
2. backup emunand partition from smaller SD card onto your computer. (it's the emunand tool 1.0.1 I think) (A)
3. use Gateway to create backup nand, then create emunand partition on the bigger SD sd. (B)
4. Use emnuand tool to place the (A) emunand into (B)
5. now places all the files you backed up onto your bigger SD card.

by doing this, your eshop saves should still be there.

As for cartridge saves, it shouldn't be gone by a simply shifting operation?

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay just to be clear,

You just want to copy stuff from one SD to a bigger SD, with usage on the same 3DS right?

1. backup the files on the smaller SD card onto your computer.
2. backup emunand partition from smaller SD card onto your computer. (it's the emunand tool 1.0.1 I think) (A)
3. use Gateway to create backup nand, then create emunand partition on the bigger SD sd. (B)
4. Use emnuand tool to place the (A) emunand into (B)
5. now places all the files you backed up onto your bigger SD card.

by doing this, your eshop saves should still be there.

As for cartridge saves, it shouldn't be gone by a simply shifting operation?

What if I don't have Gateway yet or any of the stuff?

This is all for first-time setup, since tracking says it arrives tomorrow. XD

I've already moved my 4GB stuff to an 8GB and it's all fine, same 3DS.

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I want to do is be able to do the stuff that Gateway allows (playing backups, homebrew, etc.), as well as using stuff like BigBlueMenu for CIAs. But not downgrading to 4.5.

But I want to know what I can/must do to still be able to play with my retail carts and eShop games that I purchased, without losing them and their saves.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
What if I don't have Gateway yet or any of the stuff?

This is all for first-time setup, since tracking says it arrives tomorrow. XD

I've already moved my 4GB stuff to an 8GB and it's all fine, same 3DS.

oh means you don't even have emunand?

in that case you can already make the transfer.
still, keep the backup of the files on your computer.

from this point, just continue using the 8GB SD card.

In any case,
use gateway to backup the saves after you get it

What I want to do is be able to do the stuff that Gateway allows (playing backups, homebrew, etc.), as well as using stuff like BigBlueMenu for CIAs. But not downgrading to 4.5.

But I want to know what I can/must do to still be able to play with my retail carts and eShop games that I purchased, without losing them and their saves.

you won't lose the retail carts saves (I think) since you won't downgrade.
just play them in classic mode.

For eshop games, as long as your use the same sysnand -> emunand,
you won't lose the saves (provided you transferred SD files back into your SD card after creating emunand)

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh means you don't even have emunand?

in that case you can already make the transfer.
still, keep the backup of the files on your computer.

from this point, just continue using the 8GB SD card.

In any case,
use gateway to backup the saves after you get it

Is there a step-by-step process on how to do this, to allow me to use my actual carts and downloaded stuff, as well as what Gateway/CIAs let me do? (And written in laymen's terms...)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try to find it.

I found this one guide, but it was incredibly complicated, the one that's stickied and "we don't deserve".
I have am doing a setup similar to yours. Nothing fancy as it is for the kids.

SonyUSA has a good guide on maximumconsole.com. For the basic setup. If you want to start using .cia files that 8gb card might start getting cramped. Look for a 32GB on sale for future use.
That save data guide "we don't deserve" is excellent in explaining the technical limitations.
Look for the at the guides on emunand and unlinking emunand and sysnand. Creating emunand makes a exact copy of sysnand so it will contain all your eshop games. After making the appropriate backups format sysnand to unlink them, then if you accidentally download a system update youncan simply format sysnand again and wipe the update before you accidentally update.

Some eshop DLC will delete for titles you don't own so a strategy is to create a separate emunand on another card and access eshop with that. Then inject the content into your working emunand.

Important, backup, backup, backup and read, read, read. Treat this like a hobby not a set and forget product.

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll try to find it.

I found this one guide, but it was incredibly complicated, the one that's stickied and "we don't deserve".

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286487-3DS-N3DS-Gateway-Ultra-Guide Have a look at this guide, it seems very straightforward, but as said above, backing up and reading are crucial. Get every step correct and take your time if you have to, and you can't go wrong. Slowly but surely!

I have am doing a setup similar to yours. Nothing fancy as it is for the kids.

SonyUSA has a good guide on maximumconsole.com. For the basic setup. If you want to start using .cia files that 8gb card might start getting cramped. Look for a 32GB on sale for future use.
That save data guide "we don't deserve" is excellent in explaining the technical limitations.
Look for the at the guides on emunand and unlinking emunand and sysnand. Creating emunand makes a exact copy of sysnand so it will contain all your eshop games. After making the appropriate backups format sysnand to unlink them, then if you accidentally download a system update youncan simply format sysnand again and wipe the update before you accidentally update.

Some eshop DLC will delete for titles you don't own so a strategy is to create a separate emunand on another card and access eshop with that. Then inject the content into your working emunand.

Important, backup, backup, backup and read, read, read. Treat this like a hobby not a set and forget product.

You mean maxconsole? xD

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To utlizie GW properly when playing backup roms its you need to configure emunand and update the emunand. Your sysnand should not be used. Using flash cards on the 3DS, particularly GW, is different from using flash cards on the NDS. Its not that straight forward (dropping the rom in the mSD, insert mSD in GW, insert GW into 3DS, skip through roms. NO NOT THAT SIMPLE)

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm reading through these guides and I honestly still feel lost.

Again, they're assuming that I want to downgrade and/or use emuNAND exclusively, and more or less don't factor in the use of retail carts and officially downloaded eShop titles, AS WELL as 3DS ROMs and CIAs.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm reading through these guides and I honestly still feel lost.

Again, they're assuming that I want to downgrade and/or use emuNAND exclusively, and more or less don't factor in the use of retail carts and officially downloaded eShop titles, AS WELL as 3DS ROMs and CIAs.
Unless you are trying some complex unsupported setups to play around with you should do nothing in sysnand. The main purpose of emunand is to make sysnand dead to you. Bottom line if you don't want to use emunand exclusively (classic and gateway mode) then you are jumping into a into a snake pit. Plan on spending more time reading threads and expirmenting than actually playing games.

I understand how this is all a little confusing. Understand as well that Gateway is not perfect especially when it comes to saves and encryption. It will what you say you want it to do and only gets complex if you try to make it comples by stretching its capabilities.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse