Hardware Questions about Wii Key 2

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I've decided to get my Nintendo Wii modded. Although, I just bought it on Boxing Day (December 26th, 2008). I have Wii Sports legit and Super Smash Brothers Brawl legit (it was on sale
tongue.gif
).

Anyways, I already know the guy I'm to get my Wii modded from as he did my friend's too. He's going to use Wii Key 2 (solderless). He also offers the D2Sun (cheapest) and the D2Pro9 (expensive). The Wii Key 2 cost is in the middle, and it seems that it is the most popular. Anyways:

1) Should I stick to Wii Key 2 or should I get the other mod chips? Are there differences ?

2) To confirm, paying $10 extra for the solderless option is better than soldered because if ever there is a problem, I'm still covered by Nintendo's warranty.

3a) Kinda big question ... I want to know how to burn discs (I'm on a Mac primarily but I can easily use Windows XP on the same computer). I'm going to buy Verbatim DVD-R discs because they're high quality ones, or so I've heard/read. Most downloads (torrents) for Wii games are PAL format (which really sucks) and as far as I know, I live in Canada, I have the NTSC-U region Wii. I've read that use different region games can cause it to update your Wii and therefore bricking it (FYI, I don't want this
tongue.gif
). But I read there are some programs which change regions, or rather, remove the updates/patches which makes it perfectly safe. Any recommendations on which program I should use? I found this mini-guide (on Demonoid):

QUOTE said:
Burning Your Games
This short tutorial will cover ONLY how to burn games that you have downloaded. Note that I do not condone or endorse piracy. If you like a game: BUY IT.

What you need:
imgburn - http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Blank DVD’s. Spin-X and Vertabim work the best. Both available at future shop

What you need for PAL, or non-NTSC region games:

regionfrii - http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...onFrii#Download

brick blocker - http://wbb.rockman18.com/?page=home&ln=en

Step 1) Download or copy your game to your PC.
If this game is PAL, continue with step 2, otherwise continue with step 4
Step 2) Run regionfrii on the ISO (disk image) and set the region to USA
Step 3) Run Wii Brick Blocker on the ISO to remove any updates from the PAL disk
Step 4) Insert blank DVD into dvd burner.
Step 5) using IMGBURN, burn the new ISO to the blank disk only at 4X speed.or less
**BURNING ANY FASTER OFTEN CAUSES ERRORS IN THE DISKS
It looks pretty proper and stuff, should I use it (unfortunately, on Windows XP, for me)? Or any better/other programs which can change regions and block patches. I think that you don't have to change regions, but just remove the patches because with modded Wiis, there is an option for Region Free (something like that), so I guess just a patch blocker would work as well. But then, I read somewhere, the filesize of the .iso HAS to be exact size byte-by-byte? Don't understand this, some clarification would help.

3b) If I change the regions, does the language and everything stay the same or does it change to English? Clarification would be helpful.

4) Should I still update using the original Wii updater-thingy (lol)? Also, I read that you have to update your Wii Key 2, using a disk or something? Can I do this with DVD-RW (to save discs)? How would I update the mod chip anyway, just put the update on the disc and put the disc in the Wii and done?

5) Can save files be corrupted? Just wondering ... And should I back-up the entire SD card ?

6) Is Mario Kart Wii also a dual-layer game? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...14114306AAVxqJl

Thanks, IOwnAndPwnU

mcjones92

Kingpin
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
Okay, so I've decided to get my Nintendo Wii modded. Although, I just bought it on Boxing Day (December 26th, 2008). I have Wii Sports legit and Super Smash Brothers Brawl legit (it was on sale
tongue.gif
).

Anyways, I already know the guy I'm to get my Wii modded from as he did my friend's too. He's going to use Wii Key 2 (solderless). He also offers the D2Sun (cheapest) and the D2Pro9 (expensive). The Wii Key 2 cost is in the middle, and it seems that it is the most popular. Anyways:

1) Should I stick to Wii Key 2 or should I get the other mod chips? Are there differences ?

2) To confirm, paying $10 extra for the solderless option is better than soldered because if ever there is a problem, I'm still covered by Nintendo's warranty.

3a) Kinda big question ... I want to know how to burn discs (I'm on a Mac primarily but I can easily use Windows XP on the same computer). I'm going to buy Verbatim DVD-R discs because they're high quality ones, or so I've heard/read. Most downloads (torrents) for Wii games are PAL format (which really sucks) and as far as I know, I live in Canada, I have the NTSC-U region Wii. I've read that use different region games can cause it to update your Wii and therefore bricking it (FYI, I don't want this
tongue.gif
). But I read there are some programs which change regions, or rather, remove the updates/patches which makes it perfectly safe. Any recommendations on which program I should use? I found this mini-guide (on Demonoid):

QUOTE said:
Burning Your Games
This short tutorial will cover ONLY how to burn games that you have downloaded. Note that I do not condone or endorse piracy. If you like a game: BUY IT.

What you need:
imgburn - http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Blank DVD’s. Spin-X and Vertabim work the best. Both available at future shop

What you need for PAL, or non-NTSC region games:

regionfrii - http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...onFrii#Download

brick blocker - http://wbb.rockman18.com/?page=home&ln=en

Step 1) Download or copy your game to your PC.
If this game is PAL, continue with step 2, otherwise continue with step 4
Step 2) Run regionfrii on the ISO (disk image) and set the region to USA
Step 3) Run Wii Brick Blocker on the ISO to remove any updates from the PAL disk
Step 4) Insert blank DVD into dvd burner.
Step 5) using IMGBURN, burn the new ISO to the blank disk only at 4X speed.or less
**BURNING ANY FASTER OFTEN CAUSES ERRORS IN THE DISKS
It looks pretty proper and stuff, should I use it (unfortunately, on Windows XP, for me)? Or any better/other programs which can change regions and block patches. I think that you don't have to change regions, but just remove the patches because with modded Wiis, there is an option for Region Free (something like that), so I guess just a patch blocker would work as well. But then, I read somewhere, the filesize of the .iso HAS to be exact size byte-by-byte? Don't understand this, some clarification would help.

3b) If I change the regions, does the language and everything stay the same or does it change to English? Clarification would be helpful.

4) Should I still update using the original Wii updater-thingy (lol)? Also, I read that you have to update your Wii Key 2, using a disk or something? Can I do this with DVD-RW (to save discs)? How would I update the mod chip anyway, just put the update on the disc and put the disc in the Wii and done?

5) Can save files be corrupted? Just wondering ... And should I back-up the entire SD card ?

6) Is Mario Kart Wii also a dual-layer game? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...14114306AAVxqJl

Thanks, IOwnAndPwnU

1) I like the WiiKey 2. The update disc is a big plus. The support team is awesome. Works with all games I have tried so far. I also have it with a WiiClip.

2) Yes, you can take it off. I have never taken mine off but it it doesn't look TOO difficult. And depending how well you put the Wii back together will cover up that you ever opened it. But even if there is evidence, I have heard Nintendo usually won't deny you unless you tell them before you send it in that you opened it up.

3a) Verbatims are great. Make sure they are DVD-R because they are the best. The updating thing isn't too much of a problem because with the Wiikey 2, you can use the config disc to block all updates that are not your region, or all the updates in general. I have a NTSC-U Wii also, and what I do with PAL games is take a program called RegionFrii, and convert the region to mine, just to be safe I don't accidentally update. The only game that forces you to update unless you use homebrew to get around it is Animal Crossing: City Folk. It won't run without it. The update doesn't harm you Wii, but it may remove homebrew.

BrickBlocker is a good program too, but it isn't really necessary because the WiiKey 2 blocks it. But sometimes I use it just in case.

* Before you plan on burning games, make sure you have you have a DVD burner. I made the mistake of not checking and it turned out I didn't have one. I just bought one though, so not a big problem.

3b) Yes everything goes to your region. Language, controls, everything. I don't know how, it just does.

4) Before updating your modded Wii, always check here to see if the update will harm your modchip. As of now, no updates have damaged a modchip (only homebrew or soft mods). Updating the WiiKey 2 is simple, download the .iso from the official website and burn it. When you put it in the Wii, it recognizes it as a Gamecube game and it will as you to update to the current firmware, from there you can edit the settings. I believe you can use DVD-RW, I haven't tried though.

5) Save files will only corrupt like they would with a regular game. Like when it says "Saving, do not power off" and you power off, the file corrupts. You don't need to back the saves up unless you think you really need to.

6) I don't think so. I bought the games so I wouldn't know. But as far as I know, SSBB is the only one that is DL.

Phew, that was a lot of time.

Hopefully I helped, if you are unsure about anything else, PM me I can help!
rolleyes.gif

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks alot!

It seems the Wii Key 2 tries to prevent bricking as much as possible which is good. Shouldn't have to worry about that, much. I asked about the corruption of save files because I had a Gamecube and the memory card, and 2x, my Super Smash Brothers Melee save file was corrupted so I had to start all over again (I didn't do anything wrong like turning off the power so yeah).

I also found Wii Update Manager (WUM) which I might check into. It seems pretty good since it can confirm the regions and stuff.
http://wum.talevas.com/?page=whatwum

Edit: And I do have a DVD burner, lol. A Dual Layer burner in fact (on the latest iMac).

mcjones92

Kingpin
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
It seems the Wii Key 2 tries to prevent bricking as much as possible which is good.
Yes, hasn't failed me yet. But if for some reason it does ask you to update, you probably shouldn't.
blink.gif

QUOTE said:
I asked about the corruption of save files because I had a Gamecube and the memory card, and 2x, my Super Smash Brothers Melee save file was corrupted so I had to start all over again (I didn't do anything wrong like turning off the power so yeah).
Yea, the modchip won't corrupt it (as far as I know). But I've had save files corrupt from the shutting off the power situation.

QUOTE said:
I also found Wii Update Manager (WUM) which I might check into. It seems pretty good since it can confirm the regions and stuff.
http://wum.talevas.com/?page=whatwum
That will work. If not, regionfrii also checks the region, and if it isn't your region, it can switch it. So essentially they both do the same thing.

Edit: And I do have a DVD burner, lol. A Dual Layer burner in fact (on the latest iMac).
Thats good because it was a pain in the ass when I was hyped up about burning a game and playing it, only to find out my computer didn't write DVDs.
hate2.gif

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a pain to download a 4.38 GB file to play one game. It takes too much time, better download a couple at a time, and a couple of versions of each game (as back-up).

mcjones92

Kingpin
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Question: Some games I download say Multi5, what does that mean? Is it only with PAL or is it with all regions.

It means it has multiple languages. It still is native to its own region, though. Don't get that mixed up with the regions, they are too separate things. It's a PAL game, but has different languages. It's best just to convert it to your region.

mcjones92

Kingpin
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
It's a pain to download a 4.38 GB file to play one game. It takes too much time, better download a couple at a time, and a couple of versions of each game (as back-up).

Tell me about it, it takes me at least 7 hours to download (unless it is scrubbed). The games take up a lot of space on your hard drive so as soon as your finished with them, you probably should delete them.

The scrubbed thing I said if you don't know what it is: The .iso was trimmed down a little bit with a program called WiiScrubber. All it does is get rid of useless information in the .iso for a quicker download.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mcjones92 said:
QUOTE said:
Question: Some games I download say Multi5, what does that mean? Is it only with PAL or is it with all regions.

It means it has multiple languages. It still is native to its own region, though. Don't get that mixed up with the regions, they are too separate things. It's a PAL game, but has different languages. It's best just to convert it to your region.

Does the Multi5 games work as English games as well? And I can just convert the region to USA and the language is the same still (English)?

Edit: In other words, what should I do with the Multi5 PAL version of the game? I need to have English for sure though. And should I even download it?

mcjones92

Kingpin
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded Multi5 Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009 PAL and all I did was convert it to NTSC-U with regionfrii. Works great. It plays in English, and functions like it should. Thats all you have to do, I think GBATemp has a regionfrii download if you need it, or just google it.

Some word of advice: If it is available, get your region copy of the game. But I know sometimes people haven't dumped the game yet in your region, so that is why you get regionfrii!

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mcjones92 said:
I downloaded Multi5 Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009 PAL and all I did was convert it to NTSC-U with regionfrii. Works great. It plays in English, and functions like it should. Thats all you have to do, I think GBATemp has a regionfrii download if you need it, or just google it.

Some word of advice: If it is available, get your region copy of the game. But I know sometimes people haven't dumped the game yet in your region, so that is why you get regionfrii!

I try to download USA versions but its sometimes not possible, or it will take a very long time (like 30 days+) so I cancel those. Where do you download your .iso's ? I'm trying to look for Rapidshare links as opposed to .torrent's because it's more reliable for this kind of thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning