Questions about Unicorn Overlord.

RetroNerdGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got this on sale for like $30... much better than I expected. English voices are top notch too!

Anyway, I got 2 questions here.

1. I heard that patches got rid of most of the mistranslation stuff related to gameplay or the game in general. Is this true or not?
https://www.blade2187.com/2024/03/31/signs-of-localization-playing-across-ones-face/
Here's something I read about it, and it seems like it's some pretty big stuff considering it'll confuse someone gameplay wise. If it's fixed though, that's great but I'm not sure when or where I can even check any of this and seems like it'd be a hassle. I could try to do this anyway going by the examples shown in that guys post.

2. Why on earth do some people say ", ser" to refer to Alain rather than ", sir"? I Googled it and got back that it's a Spanish thing to refer to someone but beyond that it's kinda hard to glean and "sir" would have been the better option considering this is English and not a Spanish translation. I figured I'd ask because clearly I've missed somethin' and even knowing a decent amount of Spanish I have never heard "ser" unless we're talking about "thirst" and even then that's spelled "sed". lol

Great game though, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It seems a bit daunting considering all the customization but it's not too bad I guess. Makes me think of a real time Fire Emblem.

Lumpofcoal

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not sure about the translation stuff.

As for "ser", I have seen talk that it is a gender neutral term for nobles/knighted people, but it's not actually something historical. The term seems to have originated from fantasy stories and popularized by Game Of Thrones.

Yeah, this game is great. It's one of the rare times I wish for a game to have an expansion.

keegokahgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No mods for that first bit, but the game is so easy that it almost doesn't even matter (even on the higher difficulty).

Ser is just another honorific you can give to anyone of status. Not a big deal in the slightest, so don't worry about it too much.

RetroNerdGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No mods for that first bit, but the game is so easy that it almost doesn't even matter (even on the higher difficulty).

Ser is just another honorific you can give to anyone of status. Not a big deal in the slightest, so don't worry about it too much.
No mods for what bit?

Also oh gotcha. Ser is an honorific. That's what it seemed like I was just confused cuz I never heard it before. Thanks, though!

SawyerHeath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, about those patches and mistranslation fixes: yeah, the devs have been on it. They've fixed a lot of the localization issues that were confusing the gameplay. You can usually find detailed patch notes on the game's official site or forums. Based on that article you shared, it seems like the initial mistranslations were pretty significant, but recent patches have really improved things. If you’re unsure, you could always double-check with the examples from the article just to make sure your game is up-to-date and clear of those old issues.As for ", ser" vs. ", sir": it's a stylistic choice. It's not a mistranslation but a deliberate way to give the game a unique or fantasy vibe. "Ser" is like an old-school or fantasy version of "sir," often used in medieval or fantasy settings to add a different feel. It’s not related to the Spanish "ser" or "sed," so your confusion makes sense. It's just one of those quirks to make the game's world feel distinct.

RetroNerdGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, about those patches and mistranslation fixes: yeah, the devs have been on it. They've fixed a lot of the localization issues that were confusing the gameplay. You can usually find detailed patch notes on the game's official site or forums. Based on that article you shared, it seems like the initial mistranslations were pretty significant, but recent patches have really improved things. If you’re unsure, you could always double-check with the examples from the article just to make sure your game is up-to-date and clear of those old issues.As for ", ser" vs. ", sir": it's a stylistic choice. It's not a mistranslation but a deliberate way to give the game a unique or fantasy vibe. "Ser" is like an old-school or fantasy version of "sir," often used in medieval or fantasy settings to add a different feel. It’s not related to the Spanish "ser" or "sed," so your confusion makes sense. It's just one of those quirks to make the game's world feel distinct.
That's great to hear they are fixing mistranslations!

Also, lol, yeah that is confusing for someone who knows another language. Nice to know what it means though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rax8NvkXfyI