Questions about the blue Gateway cart

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mainframe004, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mainframe004
    OP

mainframe004 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2010
    I think I got an R4i Gold as my blue Gateway cart, seeing as how the files in the "Blue Cart (R4i)" allow it to work on my 3DS on firmware v4.4. I tried putting the latest version of Wood R4 for the R4i Gold in it, but for some reason, it keeps throwing the "can't open _dsmenu.dat" error whenever I tried to load it with Wood.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

2. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    This is because the hardware isn't made for Wood as is. In fact, the blue Gateway card is running a hacked version of Wood, because (I assume) modifications to the firmware are needed in order for it to run on that hardware. This is why you can only run the version of Wood it ships with, and can't install the latest version of Wood (1.64, I believe?) on there.

3. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Yep, IronClouds is right. The blue card is a clone, meaning you need a hacked version of Wood. Luckily, they provide this on their website (which is what the contents of the "Blue Cart (R4i)" folder are).
    An 'official' version of Wood won't work.

4. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Because it is a clone. It doesn't support actual Wood firmware. From what I've read, the Gateway DS cart uses an older, hacked firmware. Ninja'd from reading another thread with this tab open~

IronClouds likes this.
  5. mainframe004
    OP

mainframe004 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2010

Ah, hmm. Didn't think of it that way. Alright, thanks. Thought I could let my friend with a 6.1 3DS borrow this... unless I was right all along and that the blue Gateway cart actually works on 6.1?

6. petspeed

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
  7. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I believe the blue card works up to 6.1 -- But don't quote me on that.

EDIT: I shouldn't open this in a tab and then run off to do other things... Got ninja'd horribly.