Hacking Questions about state of the art in hacking.

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i understand, the stickies are out of date.

1) from what i understand, you can get cfw even if you are on OFW 6.61, because pro and fastrecovery are signed, and it does exist for that.
2) if you have a 1000 or hackable 2000, you can use cipl flasher, and that's preferred to infinity if you do. i DO in fact have a hackable 2000, and am currently using pro and cipl flasher.
3) from my understanding, there is no perm for a street, becasuse infinity wont install, and infinity and cipl are the only way to get 6.61 perm, and neither work on a street.

now for my questions.

1) i hear that it's possible to sign commercial isos into eboots, with effort. is this true, and if so is it possible to convert my own backups to signed eboots that work on OFW? i've seen a lot of references to size limits. I'd want, say birth by sleep as a signed eboot, for example, which is bigger than everything from the psn store. I also know that all psn pkg files can be downloaded and decrypted, but that's piracy. :) i also know that you can get an eboot out of them instead of an iso. This would use sony's own iso driver, instead of whats in the cfw, and presumably be more compatible. is this a worthwhile task?
2) is there a signed iso loader that works on 6.61 OFW? i'e seen references to prometheus iso loader. if no, why not? You woudl load it and it would either bring you bakc to XMB with the isos showing, or open it's own ISO browser, adn let you select your game form the ISOs folder. upon exiting the game you would go bakc to the XMB.
3) is there a signed homebrew that lets you run unsigned eboots on OFW? If not, why not? The idea of being able to load isos and unsigned ebotos on OFW is quite appealing. Again, this would provide a browser to select unsigned homebrew. then if you ever needed to repair you could just remove the memstick and the hack is gone.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
if you have a 1000 or hackable 2000, you can use cipl flasher, and that's preferred to infinity if you do. i DO in fact have a hackable 2000, and am currently using pro and cipl flasher.
CIPL is indeed superior to Infinity, on technical cleanliness and freedom of system modding
"CIPL Flasher" is just an homebrew to install PRO's CIPL to nand, if you used ME you wouldn't need to ever use that homebrew :)

there is no perm for a street, becasuse infinity wont install, and infinity and cipl are the only way to get 6.61 perm, and neither work on a street.
Correct, because Infinity is a hybrid of 6.31 (which contains a secondary exploit) and a 6.61 CFW, but all Streets have a minimum supported version of 6.50

i hear that it's possible to sign commercial isos into eboots, with effort. is this true
Yes, The Leecherman's website has a program to do so (in both directions), and I haven't heard of any size limitations with that program (though I don't have personal experience with large/combined multidisc games)

This would use sony's own iso driver, instead of whats in the cfw, and presumably be more compatible.
Almost every CFW since the 3.x days gives you a choice of optical drive emulators, including but not limited to Sony NP9660!

is there a signed homebrew that lets you run unsigned eboots on OFW?
The 6.60 (or was it 6.61?) HEN does... after all that's the whole purpose of a HEN! :)

But there is no practical advantage compared to running a "real" temporary CFW

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIPL is indeed superior to Infinity, on technical cleanliness and freedom of system modding
"CIPL Flasher" is just an homebrew to install PRO's CIPL to nand, if you used ME you wouldn't need to ever use that homebrew :)
The instructions say to use cipl, flasher to do the flash to be perm. that's what i did.
Correct, because Infinity is a hybrid of 6.31 (which contains a secondary exploit) and a 6.61 CFW, but all Streets have a minimum supported version of 6.50
My questions about signed programs to do usuefull cfw functions on ofw are for the benefit of the street users as well, who can't get perm cfw by any means anyway.
Yes, The Leecherman's website has a program to do so (in both directions), and I haven't heard of any size limitations with that program (though I don't have personal experience with large/combined multidisc games)
I'm not talking about psx games. i'm talking about PSP games as eboots running on OFW.

If you unpack a psn PKG, you get an unsigned eboot. you can extract the iso from said eboot. But if you can have the psp game as a signed eboot, no hacks are needed to run it, and it would use sony's system for running psp games from eboot.
Almost every CFW since the 3.x days gives you a choice of optical drive emulators, including but not limited to Sony NP9660!
Well ideally i'd like every game to work without changing options. a 100% compatible iso driver.
The 6.60 (or was it 6.61?) HEN does... after all that's the whole purpose of a HEN! :)
as far as I knew HEN's stopped being made when signed cfw installers and fastrecoveries showed up. My concept is a signed chainloader. It loads with signed game permission, and then hands off to the unsigned eboot of your choice.
But there is no practical advantage compared to running a "real" temporary CFW
The practical advantage is that the psp could be repaired by sony, if they still do that, and it can go to full legit with a simple memory stick swap.

Since a street cannot go perm cfw by any means, i think a signed iso loader and a signed homebrew enabler would be a convenient option to allow them to take best advantage of the console.

for that matter... which really is better? pro or ME?

compatibility is most important thing in my opinion.

Last edited by Zaphod77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hope you've had a good morning.