Hacking Questions about soldering!

maxlifan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a few question about solder since i never solder before. I'm planning on ording a Cyclowiz but i don't know what irons to get an where. I like in toronto Canada and all they have for sale are 30W and others are REALLY hard to find. So anyway can some1 recommand a store which has irons with 15W. Also what type of wire and solder should i buy? Well help me out guys! BTW is it hard to put the Wii DVD drive back on the wii and connect the wires or rebuild the wii again? Well please help me out

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Search around this part of the board. These questions have been asked numerous times.

As far as your Iron purchase, 30W should be fine if you develop the skill and don't spend too much time (less than about 3 seconds at a time) with the iron on any component. Just make sure you have a really tiny tip for that. You can probably file down the tip you already have to a finer point.

Google for soldering tips and videos. Practice on old dead electronics (PCI cards, CD players).

maxlifan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have been praticeing with the 30W solder iron and the tip is REALLY REALLY tiny (looks like a little tiny wire that sticks out) but i haven't tried on anything so small (atleast it looks small on the pictures also i couldn't find any thing as small) BTW what solder do u recommand me to buy?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are not that experienced (or even if you are) then lead-tin near eutectic solder with a resin core (it will probably have Sn-Pb 60-40 on the packaging) would probably be your best bet, various legislation regarding lead and the price of tin make make this harder to find so visit a "mom and pop" hardware store. Less than a mm diameter would also be ideal.

As for electronics to practise on ask some friends or even a shop for some old hardware for the purpose and a nice hit of sugar tends to steady my hands during such a task, you do not have to finish in one sitting either.

maxlifan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have a tri screwdriver but the problem here is i can't get small solder.... i live in canada toronto and not in the us and as it seems it's almost impossible to find a 15W gun and some small 0.5OZ solder... If anyone lives in toronto please recommand me a shop.. BTW if this mom and pop store is in toronto and u give me the address and the website?

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a few question about solder since i never solder before. I'm planning on ording a Cyclowiz but i don't know what irons to get an where. I like in toronto Canada and all they have for sale are 30W and others are REALLY hard to find. So anyway can some1 recommand a store which has irons with 15W. Also what type of wire and solder should i buy? Well help me out guys! BTW is it hard to put the Wii DVD drive back on the wii and connect the wires or rebuild the wii again? Well please help me out

The source has a couple of soldering irons, they have a 15W - 30W iron for 13 CAD. Change the tip though cause its huge!

Edit: they also have solder of varying thickness

maxlifan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i checked them yesterday and they didn't have any 15W..... so maybe just in ur area? Also where can i get a 0.5OZ i can't seem to find it any where... not at the source not at homedepot.... can some1 tell me where a mom and pop hardware is?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1