Hacking Questions about slot-2 flashcarts

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
A few questions about GBA flashcarts for NDS.

Are they able to play both GBA and NDS games? I thought that software launched from slot-2 is launched by the GBA part of the DS, the NDS part stays shut down and cannot be activated.

If they're so versatile, why didn't anyone make an all-in-one ultimate NDS solution, which could do rumble, GBA games, DS Browser expansion, and NDS homebrew and games all on slot-2? As far as I can see slot-2 NDS-capable flashcarts are sorta dying and that doesn't make sense.

The Supercard MiniSD seemed like an excellent idea to me. A slot-2 cart which eliminates the need of a 2nd slot2 device to play GBA games, a cart that does it all, and uses miniSD memories instead of microSD, prolly cause the cart itself was bigger and allowed for more space. miniSD memories are cheaper.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The main problem with slot2 carts is that in order to play an NDS game from slot2, you have to have a PassMe in slot1 which "tricks" the NDS into thinking that slot2 is slot1.

Since you need two carts to play both NDS and GBA games anyway, most recent carts are slot1 carts (which can play NDS games without two carts). The addition of a slot2 GBA expansion pack allows you to also play GBA from the slot1 microSD card and works as memory for the browser.

Because you don't need 2 carts to play NDS games, most people consider slot1 carts to be the better design and there aren't many (any?) slot2 carts developed nowadays.

-Bri

Upperleft

Namcoholic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SOME of them don't play GBA games (like the supercard rumble and the ezflash compact)
but most of them do

uh.. why not get a slot-1 card (CycloDS is the best out there) + a GBA Expansion (EZ 3in1 is cheap, has rumble, gba support and works as ram for the browser)
they work fine according to GBAtemp's members

Upperleft

Namcoholic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Searinox said:
Thanks that explains a lot. So tell me, without a PassMe to trick it, there is NO WAY slot2 can do it on its own?

i think if you flash your DS it will do (that's what i read in another forum
tongue.gif
)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you have to use a NoPass/PassMe at least once to install FlashMe in the first place, as you must be able to launch the *.nds file for it to work.

The slot-2 Supercard would work fine except that its GBA compatibility is not the greatest, and you won't be able to run the Opera browser (which is the same with all standalone slot-2 devices).

JusDaMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
currently there is NO flashcart that plays 100% nds and 100% GBA. the closest one that i remember would have to be the M3 but they were much more expensive than Supercard. Supercard's GBA capability is HORRIBLE. The Big 3 was M3, Supercard, and EZflash.
EZflash had the best GBA capability with the worst NDS capability,
Supercard had like 98% NDS play with HORRIBLE GBA play.
M3 had 99% NDS play with decent GBA play but was the most expensive of the 3.

Back in the day when slot 1 cards wasn't around, slot 2 required either a Nopass (passme 3) a passme 2 or have the DS flashed using Flashme. which was a hassle for people which was one of the reasons it was unpopular to some of the current flashcart users. the price also was WAYYY higher than what it is currently. the cheapest one was Ezflash that cost around 30-40ish, Supercard costs like 50-60 depending on where you get it. and M3 carts was usually 60-80 dollars. Most people did not have that money or that technological knowledge to spend on slot-2 even though they knew about it.

No company ever made a "X in 1" cause it required too much hardware with too little room. it was impossible at the time and probably still is impossible. during the later part of the slot-2 era supercard and m3 and i think ezflash released slot-2 versions that did not have SDRAM so it could not play GBA games over 8mbit or something (i forget the exact number) but since that was removed it cost less to make and sell and was marketed towards the NDS players and not GBA.

Even during the GBA era, the most popular Flashcart had only 512Mbyte of space which was enough at the time to play 11ish gba games but even that cart didn't have perfect capability.

I currently have the Supercard DS1 V1 with supercard Micro. I prefer it because though the two hardware does the same job, I use them for different things. Supercard DS1 allows me to play DS games without a passme 2 or no Pass. and SCmicro allows me to use the home brews and the low gba capability that SC possess but it allowed me to do nds-gba link a feature i never used. do i recommend anyone else buying this combo? no. it is simply too expensive to have both slot 1 and slot 2 carts. I did it because I already had slot-2 since early 2006. I think for the budget conscious MOST slot-1 cards will work fine along with the 3 in 1. for those that have money to blow. get a M3 combo or SC combo. I would recommend the EZ combo but since triforce never made a opera hack for EZ then im not going to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...