Questions about playing videos on the R4 DS

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by xtreme_power, Mar 13, 2007.

Mar 13, 2007
  1. xtreme_power
    OP

Member xtreme_power GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    1. Is it hard to set up?

2. How long does it take to convert a video (let's say of size 700MB) into dpg format?

3. How is the quality of the video?

Thanks

2. malerik

Newcomer malerik Member

Argentina
    not hard to set up, just pick the vid, edit the settings if you are fussy, press go.

it does take a while. for a 700mb movie you might be waiting several hours.

quality is great! i hook mine up with a tape adaptor to the radio in my car and watch anime during my lunch break. subs are crystal clear, so that should give you an idea of the quality.

3. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    1. Using BatchDPG, it's really easy to convert.

2. It's all depend on the quality of the video that you choose. Higher Quality == Slower time. But most important of all is your CPU. Dual core processors can encode faster than single core.

3. Quality is very nice. Even subs can be clearly read.

4. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    If using batchdpg, the time to convert it really does depend on the settings.

A 700mb, assuming it's about 1hour and 30min would take around:

Ultra setting+Normalize= 5+ hours (depending on computer speed as well)
    High setting+Normalize= 2+ hours
    Medium setting+Normalize= 40-70min

If you don't have normalize on, remove 10-20min from the conversion time.
    What the difference is between those settings, well... between Ultra and Medium it's a bit noticeable. But if you ask me, alot more hours of conversion time doesn't compensate that little boost of quality ultra has in comparsion to medium.

I normally use Medium for anime and high setting for movies.

5. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've yet to encode an anime with readable subtitles. I have to constantly pause to read them. f that.
    Any recommended settings? Using BatchDPG 4.5 beta I've tried 256x144 for widescreen, Med/Ultra, 512k bitrate, and bicubic resizer. Spliner caused too much pixelation whereas bicubic smoothed out the video.

The source is Deathnote fansubbed by Animanda. xvid. Subs are white letters with black outlines ugh..

6. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    The fansubs of the latest death note episodes have very small letters, making it extremely hard to read the on the ds. Hopefully that won't scare you away, cause i've watched over 9 anime series (over 300 episodes) on the ds and the fansubs normally use 99.9% of the times a perfectly readable font size that suits the ds.

As for settings, I normally make them fullsize, 20 framerate, 384-512bitrate and spline16. Even though it won't do as much for the latest deathnote fansubs, turning them to fullsize makes it more readable than going with default (widescreen).

7. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thanks. yea fullscreen looks better to read but its stretched. o well

8. drakna

Newcomer drakna Newbie

Singapore
    yea,... well when i used batchDPG ,and convered my vid it was not at the output point.... could any1 help me

oh yea they said (error please ensure that u hab the proper codex)somthin like that

9. the_massakre

Newcomer the_massakre Member

United States
    when i try to convert a video,it says please open the file in a direstshow based media player such as windows media player, take note of the error mesage and contact the author,what does that mean?

10. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    leo told me to advertise the site when someone asked about DPG, so here you go

www.gbatmw.net