Questions about GCMM and NAND Backup Without the Homebrew Channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SecondZephyr, Jun 28, 2013.

1. SecondZephyr
    OP

SecondZephyr Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2013
    United States
    Okay, two separate but related questions.

Been looking into Wii homebrew, but the only thing I really want to do with it right now is use Gamecube memory card to SD card save backup applications like GCMM.

My questions:
    1. Does GCMM (or any other GCN-to-SD save backup app) write to the NAND at all?
    2. If it does, then I'm going to want to create a NAND backup first to be extra precautious. Can you make a NAND backup through BootMii as Boot2 without the Homebrew Channel installed?

I'd just like to make the backup as close to a clean Wii as possible, and I'd like to make it before I install the Homebrew Channel (which I know does make changes to the NAND) if I can. I may not even install the HBC for now if I just need to run GCMM, which I'm pretty sure you can just do through Letterbomb.

I would assume you can make the backup without the HBC, but I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, and just want to make sure it's possible and safe to do first.

Thanks!

2. Apostrophe

Apostrophe VIDEO GAMES

Apr 30, 2013
    United States
    GCMM only deals with your gamecube memory card and your SD card, so no your Wii NAND is not touched.
    It should also be possible to install bootmii as boot2 and back up your Wii nand without installing the homebrew channel, I've just never heard of anyone doing such a thing. And finally, yes you can run GCMM through letterbomb, the only problem is any time you want to use GCMM, you'll need to go back to whatever date it is on your Wii message board to use GCMM, or redo the Letterbomb hack. It's extremely more convenient to install the homebrew channel and have easy access to GCMM and have the capability of using the other amazing homebrew apps. The homebrew channel itself isn't as malicious or dangerous for your Wii as you might think, the only risk of damage comes from risky apps you use.

3. SecondZephyr
    OP

SecondZephyr Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2013
    United States
    Awesome reply - answered all my questions.
    So then GCMM should be pretty safe, right? (Wii-wise, at least - I do know there's been some issues with official Nintendo memory cards, but yeah.)
    Yeah, I've read that the Homebrew Channel is generally pretty safe, but I just wanted to have a backup that was as clean as possible.
    Thank you!

4. petspeed

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
    If you are not on SM 4.3 then you can use Bannerbomb to launch GCMM which is much easier than using Letterbomb.