Questions about EZ Flash 3 in 1 Expansion pack?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Tokyo Jihen, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Tokyo Jihen
    OP

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I currently own an Acekard 2.1 and I would like to buy a EZ Flash 3 in 1 to go with it. However I need to clear up some things so I know what I'm doing before I spend a good $20.

1. From what I've read, NOR is something that allows you to put a rom on the slot 2 so it acts like a commercial GBA game, but how do you put a game on there?

2. Otherwise, do you store the rest of the games on the micro sd of the slot 1?

3. How is the compatibility? I'm really interested in playing Mother 3 specifically [​IMG]

4. I've also read about battery issues. How often do you need to change batteries and how big of an issue is it?

Thanks in advance for any answers [​IMG]

2. coolkingdeng

Newcomer coolkingdeng Member

Austria
    it equipped with 256Mbit Norflash, 2Mbit SRAM, Battery. so it can compatible with almost GBA game(except which needs special hardware). and it has three advantages to compare with SDRAM/PSRAM GBA solution.

3. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    1) You have the ability in AKAIO to flash a ROM to the NOR so it acts like a real GBA ROM by going to the GBA ROM's properties and taping "Flash to NOR". You can also go to your 3in1 setting to always flash to the NOR or have AKAIO set the flashing to Automatic which makes use of the NOR and PSRAM when needed. However, flashing to the NOR is only required for games 16MB+ or those that use linkage. Writing to the NOR may take a minute or two depending on the game size. Games beneath 16MB are loaded into the PSRAM which loads quickly. Finally, the last hardware section is the 4MB SRAM which contains the save for the last game played until you boot up again and AKAIO backs up the save to the MicroSD. If you're game cannot retain a save and this is common will all games, then you're battery is failing.

2) All games are stored onto the MicroSD. Only when played are they flashed to the NOR or PSRAM. Note that upon bootup the PSRAM is cleared but the NOR, if flashed, retains its game status. You can flash a game to the NOR and then play a different game under 16MB on the PSRAM, just make sure you boot up into AKAIO between so you backup the save.

3) Compatibility is dependent on AKAIO. It can play most games I don't believe Mother 3 has any issues. In the event that a game has save issues or gameplay issues you may use the homebrew, GBAExploader to execute the game. If you wish to use the homebrew, it causes freezes when in use with AKAIO. To fix this, copy the ak2sd.dldi from the official firmware into SD:\__aio, overwriting the existing file.

4) I haven't played through my entire 3in1 battery yet and I'm unsure how long it really lasts. There guides here on GBATemp on how to change the battery, in the event that it dies.

4. Tokyo Jihen
    OP

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks again for your thorough and highly detailed answer Hakoda [​IMG]