Questions about DStwo, GBA emulator and 3DS.

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Tsukurimashou, Dec 16, 2011.

Dec 16, 2011
  1. Tsukurimashou
    OP

Member Tsukurimashou GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Hi I just bought a 3DS and I want to buy a SuperCard DSTwo, I had a DSone previously on my Nintendo DS lite and I was really happy with it, I just have some questions about the GBA emulator.
    Are the games running fine? Are the FPS at max or you must frame skip to get descent FPS? And about the screen on the 3DS, does the image fit with the screen or is it small like when you run DS games at native resolution (or is there an option to switch full screen / native?).
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The emulation isn't perfect, many games run full speed, most run around the 90-95% range, frame skipping helps almost all of them. It's a hell of a lot better than nothing though and almost every game is playable to completion.

Since it runs in DS mode you can either run the stuff at native or stretch it a bit, it's an option of the 3DS when booting DS stuff.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tsukurimashou
    OP

Member Tsukurimashou GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Thanks for you reply :)

4. LoggerMan

Member LoggerMan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hi gents. I know this is an old topic, but this thread is a top Google result for this discussion. It is indeed true that you can choose the resolution of the emulated games with the DSTWO. It looks really great on a DSi or DS/L in native resolution, it's just like playing them on the original consoles almost. I heartily recommend playing the GB emulator on the DSi XL, as the pixels are around the same size as the original gameboys.

But, because these are emulated within the DSTWO itself, it means that the image will be upscaled for the 3DSs higher resolution screens. So you will never see a native resolution in any emulated game from the DS TWO and no DS games will be in native resolution either, they all are upscaled. The upscaling is pretty bad for the emulated games especially. If you have an old DS/L/i, I would keep it as well as the 3DS,

5. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    As has been dicussed to death on these forums, if you want native DS resolution, you hold start when selecting the DS game from the 3D menu and it doesn't upscale it, even though a lot of people don't mind the upscaling.

1 person likes this.
  6. LoggerMan

Member LoggerMan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Holy cow, I had no idea. I was actually going to order a DSi XL just so iI could see native resolution.

7. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    But it's also incredibly small on the 3DS if you play it at native resolution.

Metoroid0 likes this.
  8. Metoroid0

Member Metoroid0 Any objections Adam?

Japan
    yeah, just tried it. it's like 1/4 of screen is missing :P ...but can you upscale native resolution of DS games somehow from DS native 256x192 to 320x240 so that DS games can cook crisp on 3DS in Full-Screen mode?

[​IMG]