questions about custom painting my snes

kaitlin459

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any idea if this is good paint to use on a snes for custom painting? also what gritt of sand paper should i use for sanding to help the pain stick?
got this info from the link below if it helps: It’s never been easier to bring a fresh, glossy look to your all your projects. Rust-Oleum® Universal® Gloss Spray Paint is a paint and primer in one that provides superior coverage and durability on any surface and at any angle—with the unmatched comfort of our patented trigger technology.

this is the link ot the paint i wanna use i never done a custom paint job before https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...al-gloss-spray-paint?ls=245196&lc=Gloss Black

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Look into Vinyl Dye instead. Its far more forgiving for a newbie spraypainter as there is both an art and science to this.

Vinyl Dye also has the benefit of "staining" the actual plastic and not just applying a coating on top so its far more durable and retains the original feel. When applying it make sure you shake the can for a ridiculous amount of time, spray somewhere well ventilated, about 15/20" away from the plastic in broad sweeping motions like you are a crop dusting plane flying overhead and not a hosepipe. The aim is to build up the light coats incrementally. Before doing so make sure you've fully washed the console with a degreaser like dish soap and allow it to air dry thoroughly.

Its been written about all over the net ages ago as it was quite huge in the 00s but people seemed to forget about it but as someone who has modded loads of consoles its generates the best results by far. The guy in this video primered his, you don't have to do that. It goes straight on the plastic but its just to illustrate how it looks:

Never used the gloss stuff as I prefer a matte finish but if you are going to clear coat find one that is compatible with Vinyl and not a regular one as I think that would cause an orange peel effect.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

kaitlin459

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look into Vinyl Dye instead. Its far more forgiving for a newbie spraypainter as there is both an art and science to this.

Vinyl Dye also has the benefit of "staining" the actual plastic and not just applying a coating on top so its far more durable and retains the original feel. When applying it make sure you shake the can for a ridiculous amount of time, spray somewhere well ventilated, about 15/20" away from the plastic in broad sweeping motions like you are a crop dusting plane flying overhead and not a hosepipe. The aim is to build up the light coats incrementally. Before doing so make sure you've fully washed the console with a degreaser like dish soap and allow it to air dry thoroughly.

Its been written about all over the net ages ago as it was quite huge in the 00s but people seemed to forget about it but as someone who has modded loads of consoles its generates the best results by far. The guy in this video primered his, you don't have to do that. It goes straight on the plastic but its just to illustrate how it looks:

Never used the gloss stuff as I prefer a matte finish but if you are going to clear coat find one that is compatible with Vinyl and not a regular one as I think that would cause an orange peel effect.

@ital i dont plan to use VIYNL i just plan to use the spray paint in the link

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've used to build and paint custom pop'n music controllers. I would recommend to sand it with 500 then 800 and after that use 1200. Spray a primer onto the surface and let it dry for a day. Take another 1200 to go over the primer to finish some unevenness on the surface.
I used compressed air to clean the surface from any dus left from the sanding.
After all of that you're ready to paint.

qbdp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@koffieleut what about the paint in the link in my post its a paint and primer all in one
I'm very familiar with that paint. It looks great when applied as it is supposed to be. Will it hold up? Depends on a few things.

First, know the "dry to touch", "dry" and "cure" times and know the difference. I know from experience that the paint you wish to use has a 15 minutes dry to touch time, an hour dry time, and a 7 day cure time.

Second, know how to paint. @ital gave a very good description of how to paint with a spray can. Buy a few cans and get your technique down before you paint the NES, because mistakes will show through many layers. Adding paint to a mistake just makes the mistake layered.

Third, be patient. You're going to want the paint to cure for the solid time before you paint another layer. You're also going to want to scuff the painted layer up so the new layer can adhere properly. You may also want to consider a non-gloss clearcoat to help protect the paint.

Finally, understand that paint is a layer that covers. As such, you can scratch it. Try it on your wall. Hook a fingernail and you can scratch paint off of drywall pretty easily. So after a while, the paint may need to be touched up or completely redone because you bumped it roughly and scratched the paint. No different than a vehicle's paint, really.

FitBoyAwe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I'm very familiar with that paint. It looks great when applied as it is supposed to be. Will it hold up? Depends on a few things.

First, know the "dry to touch", "dry" and "cure" times and know the difference. I know from experience that the paint you wish to use has a 15 minutes dry to touch time, an hour dry time, and a 7 day cure time.

Second, know how to paint. @ital gave a very good description of how to paint with a spray can. Buy a few cans and get your technique down before you paint the NES, because mistakes will show through many layers. Adding paint to a mistake just makes the mistake layered.

Third, be patient. You're going to want the paint to cure for the solid time before you paint another layer. You're also going to want to scuff the painted layer up so the new layer can adhere properly. You may also want to consider a non-gloss clearcoat to help protect the paint.

Finally, understand that paint is a layer that covers. As such, you can scratch it. Try it on your wall. Hook a fingernail and you can scratch paint off of drywall pretty easily. So after a while, the paint may need to be touched up or completely redone because you bumped it roughly and scratched the paint. No different than a vehicle's paint, really.
My ageing SNES was getting a custom paint job, but I want to keep the original labelling. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find stickers or a stencil to replace the Power, Reset, Eject, and SNES logo after doing some searching with no luck.

Try retrobrighting as well. Through a reaction between UV light and Salon Cream or hydrogen peroxide, it stops the original plastic from turning yellow. There are numerous videos available on the subject

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)