Hacking Questions about configuration changes needed for USB Loader GX and WiiFlow

Cocoloco2974

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask if there was a way to load Wii games (inside the wbfs folder and using USB0) and Gamecube games (inside the games folder and using USB1).
I tried running USB Loader GX (v3.0 r1272) and WiiFlow WFL (v5.5.3). On USB Loader, I attempted to go to settings>loader settings to change the Loader IOS to 58 and the Games IOS to 249. Only the Gamecube isos appeared after I exited and restarted. On WiiFlow, I noticed that under settings there was only a choice between USB1 and the SD card to load games. Is there any changes I should make to make both sets of games appear for each loader? I would also like to make sure there are no issues with freezing or black screens after launching each. Thanks for your suggestions.

Cocoloco2974

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually using two microSD adapters attached to two readers I found. I'm keeping the drive around to only store the Wii and Gamecube games. I just wanted to see if there was a proper set of IOSes to use for the loader and game IOS sections in USB Loader GX. Within WiiFlow, I would like to know if there are similar options to load the games from both cards. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cocoloco2974 Does the sd card reader plugged on USB0 is detected in the "usb initiation" process in USBLoaderGX? Or both usbs?
Do you have it set to show Wii games in USBLoaderGX?
Did you use WiiBackupmanager to transfer Wii games? And how many do you have?
Do GC games work fine for you?

Reactions: jeannotte

Cocoloco2974

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reloading USB Loader GX with those options (Loader IOS: 58 and Games IOS: 249), the Wii games did show up on the list. USB1 appears to still be the issue because the Gamecube games still don't show up. I used WiiBackupManager to transfer the Wii games. I have 102 of them. I was able to get WiiFlow to show both Wii and Gamecube games by selecting AUTO under the IOS Selection settings. I'm wondering if I need to choose a similar option in USB Loader GX or maybe it's a combination of both IOS selections that is causing the problem. :unsure: :huh:

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
After reloading USB Loader GX with those options (Loader IOS: 58 and Games IOS: 249), the Wii games did show up on the list. USB1 appears to still be the issue because the Gamecube games still don't show up. I used WiiBackupManager to transfer the Wii games. I have 102 of them. I was able to get WiiFlow to show both Wii and Gamecube games by selecting AUTO under the IOS Selection settings. I'm wondering if I need to choose a similar option in USB Loader GX or maybe it's a combination of both IOS selections that is causing the problem. :unsure: :huh:
Hello,

For usb loader GX, 4th icon at the top of GX

To display wii and Gamecube games ==>

https://i.goopics.net/lk4yJ.jpg

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reloading USB Loader GX with those options (Loader IOS: 58 and Games IOS: 249), the Wii games did show up on the list. USB1 appears to still be the issue because the Gamecube games still don't show up.
I thought you said GC show up in Wiiflow or is it different for USBLoaderGX? if so, why not just use Wiiflow for both?
I used WiiBackupManager to transfer the Wii games. I have 102 of them. I was able to get WiiFlow to show both Wii and Gamecube games by selecting AUTO under the IOS Selection settings. I'm wondering if I need to choose a similar option in USB Loader GX or maybe it's a combination of both IOS selections that is causing the problem. :unsure: :huh:
It's not about the IOS's or USBLoaderGX, it's about Port1, it can't supply enough power to the sd card adapter (the ones with GC games) for it to work properly, and that's why you are having issues with it and they can't show up in USBLoaderGX.
One way to solve it, is to either get a usb hub and plug both adapters on it while it's hooked to the Wii with a Y-cable to both ports. Or a usb hub that has an external power supply.

Or get an external HDD to store both your GC and Wii and avoid all this hassle (recommended), and i wouldn't be surprised if there'll be a speed boost with the hdd in comparison to the sd card adapters..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
what the power supply has to do here ? All USB ports have the same power available. he doesn't need a y-cable on Wii. (and he needs one on WiiU only for HDDs, not flashdrives or SD adapters)

Note that it could be your SD adapter which is not compatible ! Did you try to plug only the Gamecube device on USB Port 0 ?
You said it works on Wiiflow, so I'll suppose both are detected and working. so let's get to the settings.

You can use both USB Ports in USBGX, but you actually need to enable different settings.
but it's a mess to make things work !

To use USB Port1 you need either one of these :
cIOS Hermes
cIOS d2x v9 beta
cIOS d2x v10 r53 (this actually is v9 beta, renamed)
IOS 58

I would recommend using IOS58 in the loader which can see both ports, and cIOS d2x v10 r52 (NOT r53) for launching Wii games from USB Port 0.

On USB Loader, I attempted to go to settings>loader settings to change the Loader IOS to 58 and the Games IOS to 249. Only the Gamecube isos appeared after I exited and restarted.
This is totally normal :)
IOS 58 mess the partition order, you need to change a lot of settings manually to use more than one USB device.
IOS58 mounts USB PORT 1 first, which is therefore the first partition, and wbfs on the second partition.
Or if you are on Wii, you could use one of Hermes cIOS as default cIOS in the loader and partitions will be mounted incrementally, because if you use cIOS in the loader, it mounts USB PORT 0 first.
Based on the IOS you use for each feature (while in the loader, while loading a wii game, while loading emuNAND etc.), be sure to understand the partition mounting order.
You also need to differenciate port and partition. USB port0 and USB Port1 are the physical plugs. USB1, USB2, USB3 up to USB8 are the mounted partitions on the HDD or flashdrives.

So:
settings > loader settings > loader's IOS : 58
Game's IOS : 249 (or wherever you installed v10 r52 with the base you want to use)
reboots the loader.

settings > HDD settings > Enable dual USB port : ON
Settings > HDD settings > Install partition : This is where you choose "USB2" (the second mounted partition) where you have WBFS folder, should be usb2:/wbfs/, and in the loader it should be something like "FAT32" with the partition size. DO NOT pick the first partition, this is where you have the gamecube.
Alternatively, you could enable "Multiple partitions" option, which will check and list ALL /wbfs/ folder on ALL mounted partitions. the "install partition" is still used as default partition to install a new game (insert disc > install > the game goes to the "install partition" HDD)

Go to settings > user path > Gamecube USB folder : set USB1:/games/

NOTE: you shouldn't have to change this if you use IOS58, because USB Port 1 is the first mounted partition and therefore gamecube games are located on USB1 (first partition)
if you use cIOS in the loader, then it's will be ..... just guess ? ... usb2:/games/ from USB port 1 of course !

Go to main screen, trop menu, 4th icon. enable the sources you want to display, wii, gamecube, or both.

WARNING :
USB Ports are NOT loaded at the same time.
You don't have BOTH enabled and mounted at the same time, they are loaded one after the other.
the loader picks an USB Port, mounts the device, gets a list of games, unmounts the device, shuts down the USB port, and do it again with the second USB Port.

NEVER put resources on USB (covers, cheats, music, banner animation, loader settings, etc.) or it will crash the loader when shutting down the ports if there is an active resources being used.
ALWAYS use SD card for homebrew files !! only use USB for iso or roms.

it's still recommended to only use one port (usb port0) and not mess with dual USB, for your own sanity ;)

Let me know if it works for you, and if it was easy to understand. I'll keep that mini guide in my wiki page (where there are already a few guides linked). a few people ask for this setup too. It'll prevent re-writing a guide each time.

Last edited by Cyan,

Cocoloco2974

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what the power supply has to do here ? All USB ports have the same power available. he doesn't need a y-cable on Wii. (and he needs one on WiiU only for HDDs, not flashdrives or SD adapters)

Note that it could be your SD adapter which is not compatible ! Did you try to plug only the Gamecube device on USB Port 0 ?
You said it works on Wiiflow, so I'll suppose both are detected and working. so let's get to the settings.

You can use both USB Ports in USBGX, but you actually need to enable different settings.
but it's a mess to make things work !

To use USB Port1 you need either one of these :
cIOS Hermes
cIOS d2x v9 beta
cIOS d2x v10 r53 (this actually is v9 beta, renamed)
IOS 58

I would recommend using IOS58 in the loader which can see both ports, and cIOS d2x v10 r52 (NOT r53) for launching Wii games from USB Port 0.

This is totally normal :)
IOS 58 mess the partition order, you need to change a lot of settings manually to use more than one USB device.
IOS58 mounts USB PORT 1 first, which is therefore the first partition, and wbfs on the second partition.
Or if you are on Wii, you could use one of Hermes cIOS as default cIOS in the loader and partitions will be mounted incrementally, because if you use cIOS in the loader, it mounts USB PORT 0 first.
Based on the IOS you use for each feature (while in the loader, while loading a wii game, while loading emuNAND etc.), be sure to understand the partition mounting order.
You also need to differenciate port and partition. USB port0 and USB Port1 are the physical plugs. USB1, USB2, USB3 up to USB8 are the mounted partitions on the HDD or flashdrives.

So:
settings > loader settings > loader's IOS : 58
Game's IOS : 249 (or wherever you installed v10 r52 with the base you want to use)
reboots the loader.

settings > HDD settings > Enable dual USB port : ON
Settings > HDD settings > Install partition : This is where you choose "USB2" (the second mounted partition) where you have WBFS folder, should be usb2:/wbfs/, and in the loader it should be something like "FAT32" with the partition size. DO NOT pick the first partition, this is where you have the gamecube.
Alternatively, you could enable "Multiple partitions" option, which will check and list ALL /wbfs/ folder on ALL mounted partitions. the "install partition" is still used as default partition to install a new game (insert disc > install > the game goes to the "install partition" HDD)

Go to settings > user path > Gamecube USB folder : set USB1:/games/

NOTE: you shouldn't have to change this if you use IOS58, because USB Port 1 is the first mounted partition and therefore gamecube games are located on USB1 (first partition)
if you use cIOS in the loader, then it's will be ..... just guess ? ... usb2:/games/ from USB port 1 of course !

Go to main screen, trop menu, 4th icon. enable the sources you want to display, wii, gamecube, or both.

WARNING :
USB Ports are NOT loaded at the same time.
You don't have BOTH enabled and mounted at the same time, they are loaded one after the other.
the loader picks an USB Port, mounts the device, gets a list of games, unmounts the device, shuts down the USB port, and do it again with the second USB Port.

NEVER put resources on USB (covers, cheats, music, banner animation, loader settings, etc.) or it will crash the loader when shutting down the ports if there is an active resources being used.
ALWAYS use SD card for homebrew files !! only use USB for iso or roms.

it's still recommended to only use one port (usb port0) and not mess with dual USB, for your own sanity ;)

Let me know if it works for you, and if it was easy to understand. I'll keep that mini guide in my wiki page (where there are already a few guides linked). a few people ask for this setup too. It'll prevent re-writing a guide each time.
Thanks for all the in-depth information Cyan. I'll give credit to CoolMe and jeannotte too! I first clicked on the 4th icon (from the left) at the top of the screen. Within the loader settings menu, I changed the loaders IOS to 222 and the Games IOS to 249. Under the Hard Drive Settings, I was then able to select Both Ports under USB Port, left Multiple Partitions ON and left Mount USB at launch to the ON position. Now both the Gamecube and Wii games are showing up in the list. I also tested two Wii and two Gamecube games and they each loaded successfully.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad you got it working with Hermes' IOS 222
But based on what I explained, it's strange that the gamecube games worked right away without having to change the main path to usb2:/games/

Unless you plugged the gamecube drive on port 0, but then it also became the default install partition for Wii disc games. It's not an issue if you don't install disc from the loader, or don't care that they go to that SD card because the loader will display all partitions at once :P

Even if using SD adapter works fine, I think they will get very hot. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or it's designed to work like that and not an issue :/

Cocoloco2974

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you got it working with Hermes' IOS 222
But based on what I explained, it's strange that the gamecube games worked right away without having to change the main path to usb2:/games/

Unless you plugged the gamecube drive on port 0, but then it also became the default install partition for Wii disc games. It's not an issue if you don't install disc from the loader, or don't care that they go to that SD card because the loader will display all partitions at once :P

Even if using SD adapter works fine, I think they will get very hot. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or it's designed to work like that and not an issue :/
I did have to change the main path of the Gamecube games to usb2:/games. I forgot to mention that. But when Nintendon't loaded up, I had to make sure to load from usb, as it seemed to have trouble looking for the microSD card. If I notice that the card gets too warm, I'll just use usb0 for both Wii and Gamecube (just one drive or microSD). Thanks for your help and patience guys.

Reactions: Cyan and jeannotte

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
NEVER put resources on USB (covers, cheats, music, banner animation, loader settings, etc.)

In the past I used all these resources in SD, in fact, I was using the same cover folders of cfg usb loader I.e. Usb-loader/cover/2d and it was working

But after a lit of tweaking with various system files, changing SD and the usb hdd for bigger ones, installing and reinstalling a lot of things, gx seems to does not read SD anymore for these files. In the custom path option the ubs1 button does not show sd option when I click it . If I edit the config file and change everything from usb1: to sd: it doesn't show the covers and does not find Nintendont.

So I copied apps/Nintendont, apps/uabloader-gx and usb-loader/covers to usb and left everything loading from usb1:. It's working but I wonder how to put it back in a correct way, everything running from SD... My usbloader gx is version 1272

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It works, as long as you never enable DUAL USB option.
NEVER enable dual USB if you use resources on USB. it'll crash, can even corrupt files or partition.

I don't know why your SD card is not accessible anymore.
are other homebrew accessing it ? HBC, emulators, media players, etc?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It works, as long as you never enable DUAL USB option.
NEVER enable dual USB if you use resources on USB. it'll crash, can even corrupt files or partition.

I don't know why your SD card is not accessible anymore.
are other homebrew accessing it ? HBC, emulators, media players, etc?
@blackb0x , think you can restrict this so that if resource paths are set to USB then dual usb gets automatically disabled? Or vice versa (i.e. if dual usb is enabled, resource paths adjusted to avoid USB).

If there's a risk of crashing or file corruption when dual usb is enabled and resources are on usb, I think it makes sense to restrict the loader to avoid this combination of settings. I imagine this should be easy to implement, but recognize that a million "little things" like this can add up

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Limiting the access is the easiest method to implement.

But the proper way should be to keep tracks of all active resources, and properly close the stream before switching USB.
(config file, background mp3, fonts, etc.)
but if the music file is on USB0, it would stop audio and close access to the file, then once the loader has USB1 mounted there will be no audio anymore (but no crash).
It also has to track what has been suspended temporarily to re-mount the previous USB where the resources are located to, and re-load the resources automatically once it doesn't need access to second USB. If not, listing games would just stop the audio and the user won't understand why.

Usually accessing the 2nd USB is only meant as game listing.
If the user uses Title cache, it might not even need accessing it, unless manually refreshing the game list/adding games/etc.

The issue is that USB are NOT active at the same time, but only one at a time.
accessing USB1 means closing USB0.
If the user has an audio file currently playing from USB0 (theme, or media player, etc.) and the USB is closed without closing the "link to the file", then it can't access it and tries to "stream" from a random memory access point, which can cause issues.
It should first shutdown all streams or warn user to close something manually, but the end user will probably not understand what he has to do, because it thinks the loader works with "DUAL USB" at the same time.

Audio is the most common issue, because it's streamed in continue and never closed until the loader shutdown (exit, or game launch). hopefully they are read only.
But there might be other resources triggering the issue too, and if they are accessed in write mode, it might corrupt the data anywhere on the currently mounted device, and this EVEN if switching back to initial USB port without properly reopening the file.

This bug exists because the loader was never meant to access multiple USB at the same time when devs started the development.
We added that feature in 3.0, and we didn't properly check if all active resources were properly closed (I never used the media player, so never debugged it).

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: