Questions about a Japanese N3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nasedase, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Nasedase
    OP

Nasedase Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    1. Is the Plailect LUMACFW guide the same with a Japanese N3DS
    2. Do US carts work through the region unlocker?
    3. I would like to use this as my main DS. Is it possibly to transfer all the data from my U.S. 3DS to the Japanese N3DS?
    4. Are there any downsides to having a Japanese N3DS with U.S. Firmware? (Assuming I can install U.S. firmware on it)
    The only reason I'm importing is to have a non XL black N3DS, not to play Japanese games, so if there's a way to install U.S. firmware to essentially turn the handheld into a U.S. region DS I'm willing to do that.
    • If the above is true, could a friendly GBAtemp user guide me in the right direction?

2. Jair

Jair Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2016
    Peru
    1. As far as I know, it is, Just make sure to use the correct files for the Japanese version when downgrading, failing to do so will brick your device. EDIT: As Andrew said thereĀ“s a file you need to remove, also always double check you check the correct files, correct model (O3DS and N3DS firmware files are different) and region.
    2. They should, Japanese carts work on my US 3DS
    3. That I don't know sorry.
    4. As far as I know (I could be wrong) when region changing your 3DS you will have english language menus (regular japanese 3DS don't have this I think) but you won't be able to access the US eShop to download games or updates. Although with the planned roadmap for FreeShop this may not be necessary in the future.

I can't really guide you that much since I've personally haven't completed Plailect's guide. I have Menuhax + Luma still but I've researched most of your questions before. On a side note there are some third party plates for N3DS, maybe someone sells a black one, or if the Japanese plates are compatible with US 3DS maybe someone is selling theirs on eBay.

Last edited by Jair, Jun 24, 2016
  3. TechAndrew

TechAndrew Untitled

Aug 6, 2015
    Canada
    Wherever I Am
    Answers:
    1. Yes, except there's one file you have to remove from the 9.2.0 downgrade pack when downgrading. Failure to remove this file WILL brick your 3DS. File to Remove: 000400102002CA00.cia
    2. Yes, any regions will work, if the Region Unlocker works.
    3. You'd first have to convert your 3DS's region from J to U. Here's a helpful guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Region-Changing
    4. You have no warranty and no support from Nintendo of America.

EDIT: Before transferring, make sure to do a NAND backup and SD card content backup of your old 3DS, no matter what it takes or how long it would take.

EDIT: I have heard that some places in Asia and Middle East (including Singapore, Malaysia, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and maybe Philippines?) sell NTSC-U (Firmware xx.x.x-xxU) New 3DS's and New 3DS XL's that aren't available in the United States (kind of ironic, but true).
    For example, you can get a Blue USA Region New 3DS XL in those places, while you can't do so in North America (unless imported).

Last edited by TechAndrew, Jun 24, 2016
  4. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    I dont believe the 'removing the file or it will brick' is true anymore.

vb_encryption_vb likes this.
  5. TechAndrew

TechAndrew Untitled

Aug 6, 2015
    Canada
    Wherever I Am
    Better safe than sorry.

Tomato Hentai and CrispyYoshi like this.
  6. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I think it is, but sysupdater might (might, I don't know if it actually does) checks and ignores that file. If not, I know that Plailect's guide at least gets rid of it for you.

7. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    then if he is following Plailects guide, he doesnt need to worry about it then. He doesnt have to manually remove it. I was just helping someone with this on reddit earlier and Plaisysupdater worked just fine without removing any files.

8. Nasedase
    OP

Nasedase Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    thank you all for the help.

9. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Eshop will not work if you region swap n3ds.