Hacking Questions about 3DS firmwares and potential flashcarts

nordini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What firmware is a 3DS likely to ship with? I currently do not own one, and i've been waiting until there is a flashcart that can play 3DS ROMs. Is it likely to ship with one of the latest firmwares or will it have something close to the original?

I ask because I wonder if it would be a good idea to buy a 3DS now and keep it untouched (thus un-updated) so that if a working flashcart is released (such as that new Gateway) and it gets patched by an update, I won't have to worry because I will have a 3DS with an old firmware.

nordini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I wouldn't ever be able to connect it to the internet? It auto-updates? That wouldn't work for me anyways because if I bought one I intend to play AC:NL online.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I wouldn't ever be able to connect it to the internet? It auto-updates? That wouldn't work for me anyways because if I bought one I intend to play AC:NL online.

It doesn't automatically update. It prompts you to install the update, but it never installs without asking you.

nordini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can play games online without updating the firmware? It will just always ask me, but I can always say no?

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on what you mean by "play games online". Some games will need you to update first, you will need to update before using the eshop, etc.

If you want to play DS ROMs, the 3DS is a bad choice, frankly. Too many restrictions and worries.

It's not that bad once you get used to the whole not updating thing and really just get used to it. Hell, it's all I ever do on my 3DSs. Both. My DSi - haven't touched it in months.

nordini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I already have a DSi with a Supercard DSONEi that works well for playing DS ROMs. I was looking at this for 3DS ROMs exclusively.

fidrocka

teen programer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can play games online without updating the firmware? It will just always ask me, but I can always say no?

honestly i dont think playing ds games online will require a system update.... unless you mean on 3ds games than the majority of the time an update will be required.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I already have a DSi with a Supercard DSONEi that works well for playing DS ROMs. I was looking at this for 3DS ROMs exclusively.

We're close - I'm sure you've seen all the commotion about the Gateway.

Get your 3DS now, and wait for the releases to follow. The 3DS is finally on its way to being officially cracked, now all we need are releases and subsequent improvements. At the very least, your 3DS is clearly, as you may know, backwards compatible with DS which is one of the largest libraries of games to fall back on. Not only that, but with a Supercard DSTWO, most GBA games and some SNES games work wonderfully, and you may add Gameboy/Color and NES to the list (arcade classics work well too, though not too familiar in that neck of the woods) so you're making quite the cheap investment. Emulation can be a wonderful thing sometimes. :) Hence the reason so many of us live here.

I see you're familiar with DSONE, and now DSTwo is in town much more powerful than ever.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because retailers are listing it doesn't mean anything, they just don't want to miss out on sales in the case that it is real. Until they have the first stock come in nobody has verified this thing actually exists/works.

nordini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're close - I'm sure you've seen all the commotion about the Gateway.

Get your 3DS now, and wait for the releases to follow. The 3DS is finally on its way to being officially cracked, now all we need are releases and subsequent improvements. At the very least, your 3DS is clearly, as you may know, backwards compatible with DS which is one of the largest libraries of games to fall back on. Not only that, but with a Supercard DSTWO, most GBA games and some SNES games work wonderfully, and you may add Gameboy/Color and NES to the list (arcade classics work well too, though not too familiar in that neck of the woods) so you're making quite the cheap investment. Emulation can be a wonderful thing sometimes. :) Hence the reason so many of us live here.

I see you're familiar with DSONE, and now DSTwo is in town much more powerful than ever.

My issue is that I want to play the 3DS ROMs online like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. Is that going to be possible or will it require me to update when i play these 3DS ROMs online?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My issue is that I want to play the 3DS ROMs online like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. Is that going to be possible or will it require me to update when i play these 3DS ROMs online?
It's possible, but it depends on what firmware you have. It won't require you to update to the latest firmware, though (at least to my knowledge).

fidrocka

teen programer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible, but it depends on what firmware you have. It won't require you to update to the latest firmware, though (at least to my knowledge).

i doubt that you will have to update to latest firmware for mario kart 7 but for animal crossing since its a newer game i have doubts that can play online without updating to v5.X.X U and above
*** EDIT:
mario kart 7 will require you to update the app needed to actually go online to v1.1 and for that you need the eshop and i think you know where im going with this. so yea update to usa the eshop and then play online on mario kart 7

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
Sort of what Fidrocka said - you will probably need to update if you want to play online.

don't update just yet.

We're still waiting for updates from the teams still supporting DS, and with the homebrew scene, it's always best to withhold updates until the patch or new firmware has been released.

Sometimes being online with hacked systems and flash carts means that if you use online features, you can be found out. I've heard of bricked XBox consoles this way. I know the Acekard2i was fine with internet play, but it's still a risk to take. If you're using a flash cart, try to limit your online time in order to lower the risk of being found.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using a flash cart, try to limit your online time in order to lower the risk of being found.
I doubt that would have anything to do with being caught. They're much more likely to just have a log of things that they check after-the-fact instead of having random searches. So going online for even a second makes it possible for you to be caught. IMO.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
I wasn't denying the possibility, but yes, you're right. If Nintendo is checking legitimacy of their products with online users, however, I was saying that the longer the time spent online, the more likely if they're checking to be caught. They've bricked flash cart users in the past, and it would suck to have a $270 paperweight.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds auto-downloads updates to the SD while wifi is on. It constantly asks you to start the update.

You may still continue using street pass, probably spot pass, and local and wifi multiplayer in games.

Without the update, you cannot use the eShop or system transfer, as well as future games, as 3ds carts come with updates and require you to install them to play.

Since there is no 3DS flashcart out yet, it would be hard for Nintendo to block the new Gateway before its even out without learning it's exploits.

And you need only cower in fear of the word update if you don't own a DSTwo. As for worrying if Nintendo is spying on your game legitimacy is hard to say, as it's indeed possible, but Nintendo has been struggling when it's come to anything involving online. One would think if they had the tools to spy on people, then they also had the tools to implement competent online features in games, apps, and services.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using...