Hacking Question Questions about 3.0 ( nand+nogc)

Lioon2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

i just bought a 3.0 switch. I'm waiting for sdcard/jig, so i'm preparing the ground and getting ready once i received those items.

2 questions after reading the whole internet about it, without finding answers.

1: 3.0.0 doesn't support exfat, and nand is around 30go right ? How i'm supposed to backup it on fat32 only firmware? I read about patches, but i wouldn't be "proper" anymore ?

2: i will update with choidujourNX to 5.1, and use reinx. I must install nogc patch for being able to downgrade back to 3.0 in the future if needed. I must install nogc patch or, if i don't use gamecard at all it's ok?

Thanks!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

i just bought a 3.0 switch. I'm waiting for sdcard/jig, so i'm preparing the ground and getting ready once i received those items.

2 questions after reading the whole internet about it, without finding answers.

1: 3.0.0 doesn't support exfat, and nand is around 30go right ? How i'm supposed to backup it on fat32 only firmware? I read about patches, but i wouldn't be "proper" anymore ?

2: i will update with choidujourNX to 5.1, and use reinx. I must install nogc patch for being able to downgrade back to 3.0 in the future if needed. I must install nogc patch or, if i don't use gamecard at all it's ok?

Thanks!
  1. 3.0 does support exFAT (only 1.0 doesn't support it) but that doesn't have any bearing on backing up your NAND. Quoted directly from the Hekate thread which you use to backup the NAND:
    Before you continue:
    Hekate - ipl, is a custom bootloader with extra features.
    It must not be confused with CFW, hbmenu and anything else that is on the Horizon OS (Switch's OS) side.
    E.g., hekate supports exFAT formatted sd cards, but if you never downloaded the exFAT update, it will not work on horizon os or any homebrew.
    So, please don't report problems that happen after leaving hekate - ipl (hbmenu can't see apps, etc).
    So you can insert an exFAT formatted SD card to backup the NAND in exFAT because you're backing up the NAND in Hekate not Horizon
  2. The nogc patch is only if you want to use retail carts on firmwares below 4.0. If you don't keep the nogc patch, then you will not be able to use retail carts on firmwares below 4.0. The reasons this may be favorable to you can include playing your retail carts on your original firmware or another exploit that takes advantage of a retail cart. Quoted from another thread that details the updating process:
    IF YOUR CARTRIDGE SLOT WORKS ON <4.0.0 FIRMWARE AND YOU WISH TO KEEP IT THAT WAY, YOU MUST ALWAYS LOAD 4.0.0 OR HIGHER FIRMWARE USING THE [FS_XXX] OPTION WHICH USES REPLACEMENT FS_XXX_nogc.kip1 SYSMODULE VIA HEKATE ! EVEN A SINGLE BOOT WITHOUT THAT SYSMODULE REPLACEMENT USED WILL PERMANENTLY UPGRADE THE GAME CARTRIDGE CONTROLLER FIRMWARE TO THE 4.0.0 VERSION, MAKING IT UNUSABLE IN EARLIER FIRMWARES (so any "CFW" ini files you use YOU MUST ADD THE PROPER FS_XXX_nogc.kip1 LINE TO ALL ENTRIES).

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: Lioon2

Lioon2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
  1. 3.0 does support exFAT (only 1.0 doesn't support it) but that doesn't have any bearing on backing up your NAND. Quoted directly from the Hekate thread which you use to backup the NAND: So you can insert an exFAT formatted SD card to backup the NAND in exFAT because you're backing up the NAND in Hekate not Horizon
  2. The nogc patch is only if you want to use retail carts on firmwares below 4.0. If you don't keep the nogc patch, then you will not be able to use retail carts on firmwares below 4.0. The reasons this may be favorable to you can include playing your retail carts on your original firmware or another exploit that takes advantage of a retail cart. Quoted from another thread that details the updating process:
Thanks for your help! Easier in my mind now :blush:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: