Hacking Questions aboot save files and 3 in 1.

turtleman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, I know that the 3 in 1 expansion can only have 1 GBA game loaded on it at a time, but my question is, can I switch games and keep my save files, like on my slot-1 device or something? I'm using an R4 as my slot-1 device, btw.

tjt486

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know gbaldr does this by default, I assume the others do as well.

With gbaldr, when you flash a new .gba onto the NOR, it makes a copy of the save data from SRAM as a .sav file in your GBA directory on the TF card in your r4. Then, next time you load that .gba it will automatically load that .sav back into the SRAM.

Essentially what I am saying is that no extra steps are necessary, its all seamless.

Arsic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm using an R4 with the newer hardware 3-in-1 (got it in the mail a few days ago) so I'm using GBALDR instead of Rudolph's tools.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but since it's sort of similar, I have this question...

How can you import Visual Boy Advance saves to GBALDR?

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the 3-in-1, do you have to go through any extra steps to play your gba games? I heard you have to patch the rom for saves first or something. Where could I get the patcher and how do i use it? By the way, I have an R4 with GBALdr.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you're ordering a new 3in1, you'll be getting the new hardware revision which will require you to use either Cory 1492's updated gbaldr.nds app OR Rudolph's new GBA EXPloader application.

With Rudolph's new app you no long have to patch GBA ROMs before loading onto your uSD as it auto-patches the ROMs now. ROMs can also be put into any directory now, and you'll need to create a GBA_SAVE directory at the root level of your uSD(the save files get backed up into this directory). According to reports it still has a few problems ATM, but I expect by the time that you actually get your 3in1 from DX that they'll be fixed.

Rhuarc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just purchased the 3in1 to go along with my DSTT. I think I'm kind of lost as to how this actually works.

1) Put all my *.gba files into a folder on my SD
2) Run one of the GBA Loader Tools from my Slot-1
3) Select a GBA game I want to play
4) Assuming the new hardware, the game get's auto-patched and loaded into the 3in1.
5) When I save the GBA game that save is created on the 3in1, and then is automatically backed up into a saves folder on the SD of my DSTT.
6) The next time I run that same game the GBA Loader looks in that save folder for any saves for that game, and automatically loads it into the flash memory of the 3in1.

Does this all sound correct? Thanks for the help!

Oh, and has anyone else had problems getting the 3in1 from DX? I ordered it about a week ago and just received an email telling me that it has been delayed while they try to get the item from their supplier. It still doesn't say out of stock or anything on their site.

mesaone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just got my 3-in-1 setup today, with GBALDR.... everything is running fine, EXCEPT:

when flashing a GBA rom to NOR, it backs up the current save file... but when loading the first GBA rom back to NOR, it doesnt replace the save.

so basically evey time i flash a new game, i have to start over.

here's an example.....

1) load Golden Sun to NOR
2) play golden sun for a while, and save.
3) Load Super Mario Advance 2 to NOR
4) play for awhile, change my mind.
5) load Golden Sun to NOR a second time. the SAV file should work right? nope.

anyone know what i'm doing wrong? I already used GBATA to SRAM patch golden sun, because i heard to do so for any game that saves EEPROM. thing is, it seems like it works fun UNTIL i swap out the contents of NOR.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
GBALDR has been abandoned I believe. The creator didn't want to compete with Rudolph. I suggest getting the GBA Exploder (The newest addition of Rudolph's 3in1 Tools) which work on both the new and old 3in1 devices and contain more features and bug fixes. It also has support for more slot2 devices than just the 3in1 as well.

mesaone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
I suggest getting the GBA Exploder (The newest addition of Rudolph's 3in1 Tools) which work on both the new and old 3in1 devices and contain more features and bug fixes. It also has support for more slot2 devices than just the 3in1 as well.

yeah. thanks for the tip! I actually figured that one out. Since rudolph's blog is in japanese, i didnt realize that his new version (labeled 0.056, but the readme says 0.051) addresses the new chipset in the EZFLASH V 3-in-1 (which i got yesterday)

but i got it figured out. tested it with Final Fantasy VI Advance, golden sun, super mario advance 2, and golden sun 2. they all worked!

i figured i could just abandon the whole slot-2 thing and use my cartridges, but i really REALLY dislike the ergonomics of GBA carts in the NDS lite.

again, thanks for the info. if i had only waited a day, then your post would have saved me loads of time! i'm just monomaniacal about getting tech to work. my problem solving "skills" will either give me high blood pressure or a career in tech support
laugh.gif

the good thing is, it appears i came at the right time. Rudolphs new exploader can use clean roms! although using 2-in-1 tools is useful for finding out save type and size

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: