[Question] Would it be possible to send older firmware updates with a custom Server?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by human_kirby, Oct 27, 2015.

1. human_kirby
    OP

human_kirby Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2015
    Gambia, The
    The thing is, we can block Nintendo server access with Tubehax DNS server, which makes me wonder, would we be able to redirect the 3ds via a DNS server to a custom server wich sends out "fake" new firmware, containing the old 9.2 one. Im not into hardware near coding nor networking and do not know if the updates are specialy decrypted. I mean, the concept is straight forward, so I wonder if its possible and if not, what is the thing preventing it.

Ev1l0rd, Tobicake and Tomato Hentai like this.
  2. JustPingo

JustPingo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    France
    No, because when you want to change NATIVE_FIRM, the new version is checked so it has to be bigger than what is installed.

Last edited by JustPingo, Oct 27, 2015
    Mrrraou likes this.
  3. KFC Double Down

KFC Double Down Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    I'm afraid not, to my memory firmware updates and such require a Nintendo-specific authentication key and nobody knows what the hell it is.

4. human_kirby
    OP

human_kirby Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Ok, thanks for the fast answer. And most likely it also is not possible to manipulate NATIVE_FIRM, right?

5. JustPingo

JustPingo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    France
    Some apps can, some doesn't even check, but System Updater does. And by the way, I'm pretty sure System Updater also uses authentified SSL to communicate with Nintendo's server so you can't fake it.

6. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    Is it impossible then to spoof the browser with a fake server? Does it check NATIVE_FIRM when doing this or not?

7. JustPingo

JustPingo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    France
    I don't understand what you mean.

8. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Is it possible to spoof the browser nag that is currently bothering browserhax users? Because that would be interesting.

9. Mrrraou

Mrrraou GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 17, 2015
    France
    No. The thing that downloads and updates the system uses Nintendo's private encryption key which only Nintendo owns, and it checks everything at update.

10. JustPingo

JustPingo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    France
    I don't think so (even tho I didn't studied a lot the thing), because like I said the console uses authentified SSL, so you can't spoof what the server and the console are saying, and if the server says that there's an update, then you can't do much against it without already having code execution.

However I've seen some people managing to use it even with the blocker, no?

11. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    That's the weird part: Some users either had the Tubehax DNS still active, or have a new 3ds and speedy fingers to beat the internet check, hence the reason why I asked. I myself tried activating Tubehax DNS but it doesn't work.

12. JustPingo

JustPingo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    France
    Maybe because Nintendo devs made a security margin. If Nintendo's servers are lagguy, it might leave some time for it to respond, and so you can abuse that time. That's just a theory. If that's right tho, it sure can be patched in future updates.

13. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    I don't think so. It only works on a n3ds. o3ds users are out of luck. If nintendo's servers are lagging it should work on a o3ds as well right? The author that says this (and all the confirmers) give about a 20 second margin.

14. JustPingo

JustPingo GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    France
    No, I mean, maybe the guys making skater made it so in case of Nintendo servers lagging, it would not punish the user instantly (and instead wait for the server to potentially respond). But I don't even have a console on 9.3+, so yeah, I don't really know much.

Last edited by JustPingo, Oct 27, 2015