[Question]Where can I get cheap Verbatim DVD-Rs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by games2007, Mar 2, 2009.

1. games2007
    OP

games2007 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2008
    United States
    Hey everyone. I haven't made new threads on the forum recently, so I decided to make one about a question I've been asking.
    Where can I get some Verbatim DVD-Rs?
    I have 2 DVD-Rs in my spindle and I heard there are places to get some Verbatim DVD-Rs at a low price.
    Can anyone recommend a shop for me to go to, or perhaps an online site to order the DVDs from?
    Thank you!

2. DaMummy

DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 22, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland
    newegg.com, if you live near a frys electronics, or a micro center, even luckier if you get it during a sale, ive gotten 100 packs for $18 before

3. cactusjack901

cactusjack901 Advanced Member

Feb 3, 2009
    United States
  4. Wii-Nis

Wii-Nis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2009
    United States
    Dirty Jerzy
    goodwill...100 pk verbatim dvd-r 16x for 2.99 brand new
    my girlfriend is a manager at the goodwill near our home...target sends majority of their returns to goodwill stores...the notebook im using right now msi u100 wind i got from her store for $50...i got devil may cry 4 x360 for $5...seriously scout your local goodwill stores..

5. ZombiePosessor

ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    United States
    West Virginia
    Actually, Ritek are 2nd-class media, while Verbatims are first-class. If you worry about your Wii's (or any other console who uses burnt discs to read games) laser, don't waste your time on anything but first-class media. Other brands under the first-class media include: Pioneer, Mitsubishi-Kagaku Media, Taiyo Yuden, Hitachi Maxell (Japanese only, USA Maxell is shitty), Sony, and TDK (most of the time)

2nd class media include: Ritek (thats Ricoh, Ritek, Ridata, etc), Daxon, Gigastorage, Moser Baer, Prodisc Media.

6. SG

SG GBAtemp Fan

Mar 29, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    They're awful. Data loss within a few months guaranteed.

SVP is a good place, not sure about shipping cost just for discs though.

7. Golfman560

Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Dec 29, 2008
    Living with seals
    Where does Playo fit into the 1st and 2nd class media part? Or should I just start a 3rd class media list?

I find the discs I get to always work and haven't had problems. I still have a Gigastorage disc from 2006 that I can still get everything off of.

8. jlg6184

jlg6184 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2008
    United States
    Staples has Staples-brand DVD-R's for 19.99 per 100 pack. Just picked up a 50 pack of them (don't quite need a hundred), but I have never had any issues with the Staples brand. Other off brands have been tempermental, but Staples-Brand seems reliable enough.

9. shadowmanr6

shadowmanr6 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2009
    United States
    i just ordered from newegg the other day, best deal i found personally, caught it when they were 26$ for 100pk spindle, free shipping and a 8$ mail in rebate. not sure if its still availible

10. zidane_genome

zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

May 21, 2006
    United States

Can you load one of those in IMGBurn and tell us the actual brand name is?

11. jlg6184

jlg6184 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2008
    United States
    Sure, they are coming up as CMC MAG. AM3

From what I can gather it is the same as TDK, Imation, Philips, HP, and Memorex.

12. Fat Cow

Fat Cow GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2009
    United States
    I use this site as reference
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

although the best way is to do cd/dvd quality test yourself on old burned media, but since my burner doesn't support this function, i'll just have to believe other people's tests.

13. cactusjack901

cactusjack901 Advanced Member

Feb 3, 2009
    United States

I have not once had an issue with Ritek discs, and the only console of mine that has a burned out laser is my PS2, and even so, it's the fat PS2 model that had laser alignment problems, so I just have to adjust it

14. Miles

Miles GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    United States
    Staples, Office Max, Best Buy, Wal-Mart (Not all though), Fry's, etc.

Verbatium is a very common brand.
    It's not like they are hard to find, and they are only a few bucks more than cheaper brands.

If you meant online, the thread pretty much covered that.