ROM Hack [Question] When to use 8-,16-, and 32-bit search when looking values?

Jan Tan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the differences between the three searches when looking for cheats? I always use the 32-bit successfully when playing MHX, Yokai watch, etc.

(PS. Please move thread if posted in wrong board)

artur3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm asking this question myself, too.
I want to find the value for the timer in SSB 3DS (EUR) for the Smash run - would be nice to run through the map with some extra time! But I don't even know how to look after a value that is formated as time - pls helpme too

c4388354

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8 bit if the maximum/minimum value is between 0 and 255 (unsigned) or -127 and +128 (signed) (usually used for lives and item amounts etc)
16 bit if maximum/minimum value is between 0 and 65536 (or -32767 and 32768) (usually used for health/hit points/character stats? etc)
32 bit if maximum/minimum value is between 0 and 4 billion (or -2 billion and +2 billion) (usually used for money and other big values etc)

edit: for time values, best to use a 'less then / greater then' search with a 32bit value.
first, you'd do an initial search, go back to game, let timer run down a few seconds
go back to menu and do a less then search, go back to game, run down timer a bit more
and repeat the less then search until you find a hit, sometimes it might not work.
If you run out of time, have the game reset the timer back to a higher number, then you'll
need to do a 'greater then' search the FIRST time only, (as you will have MORE time then
when you did the previous search), then go back to doing a 'less then' search.

Tried messing around with SSB 3D Europe in smash run,
I did a unsigned 32bit value search as initial search, and did what i said above.
Found that offset 330F10AC stores the timer in seconds, edit that offset and the timer set to 9:59.99,
(at time of search, game time left was 4:42.xx seconds, (4*60+42 = 282, in hex thats 11A)
(edit: Seems the offset changes each time you load a stage..)

Code:
http://i.imgur.com/zvXsTRX.jpg

Last edited by c4388354,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.