Hacking [Question] When flashing NTRBoot, is the whole flashcart affected or only the contained microSD?

peachiecookies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased my first flashcart (R4i Gold 3DS RTS) from NDS Card, in order to install CFW on my stock N3DSXL. This is my first time with any of this, and I would like to know how the flashcart itself is affected by flashing NTRBoot onto it. Let's say I have two microSD cards, "A" and "B." I flash NTRBoot to "A," and use it to mod my console; can I then remove "A," and then immediately use "B" to put games on and use as an actual flashcart for games/ROMs? Or is something fundamentally affected by flashing NTRBoot to a flashcart, that requires restoring the flashcart to its original state before using it for anything else? I hope this question makes sense! Thank you in advance!! :)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need first to recover the flashcard to work again with NDS games :D
that is with any flashcard except for the ak2i that flashcard will play ds roms while the exploit is installed

(just want to clarify that)

Last edited by wormdood,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Ntrboot doesn't affect the microSD but it does affect the flashcart still. That's because your cart contains 4MB of extra flash memory known as the bootloader. This is what the flashcard uses to trick the 3ds firmware into allowing it to boot a spoofed ds game (and then substitute pirated ds games and homebrew after the security checks pass). NTRboot overwrites (and thus disables) part of the r4iGold's bootloader and its ability to run ds mode homebrew. The good news is that you can reflash your card to its original state once ntrboot installs b9s and you have control of the system.

Now, as mentioned, the ak2i can still run ds games after its bootloader is flashed with ntrboot. Unfortunatly, the ak2i has an old and outdated bootloader and needs a really old 3ds firmware (4.3) to be able to "self-flash" using a single system. With r4iGold, you can do this on the latest firmware. The ak2i needs a second hacked 3ds or a ds family system.

Last edited by zoogie,

peachiecookies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ntrboot doesn't affect the microSD but it does affect the flashcart still. That's because your cart contains 4MB of extra flash memory known as the bootloader. This is what the flashcard uses to trick the 3ds firmware into allowing it to boot a spoofed ds game (and then substitute pirated ds games and homebrew after the security checks pass). NTRboot overwrites (and thus disables) part of the r4iGold's bootloader and its ability to run ds mode homebrew. The good news is that you can reflash your card to its original state once ntrboot installs b9s and you have control of the system.

Now, as mentioned, the ak2i can still run ds games after its bootloader is flashed with ntrboot. Unfortunatly, the ak2i has an old and outdated bootloader and needs a really old 3ds firmware (4.3) to be able to "self-flash" using a single system. With r4iGold, you can do this on the latest firmware. The ak2i needs a second hacked 3ds or a ds family system.

Thank you so much!! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I really appreciate your help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse