question very n00bish, dont be mean

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by podunk1269, Jun 13, 2008.

Jun 13, 2008
  1. podunk1269
    OP

Member podunk1269 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    after I flash to CF

do I still have to use the pandora battery of switch back to the regular one

and can I reformat the momory card, or leave the files on the magic memory stick?

I am close to getting a psp (I begged the wife!!) and I want to have everything i need first

2. Dermy

Member Dermy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If the memory stick you use is an extra one it wouldn't hurt to keep it around.

And what do you mean by the regular one? Do you mean to change the pandora battery back to normal?

3. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    You can, but you shouldn't. Keep it safe, or turn it into a time machine card (Google dark alex time machine). If your PSP locks up, you can always use your pandora battery and stick to recover.

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    After installation, you need to use your normal battery, and save the magic files on your hard drive somewhere before format.

5. IBNobody

United States
    Don't do this unless you have a way to write to a MSPS without the PSP. If you brick your PSP, you've also just bricked your MSPS reader.

I found that out the hard way. [​IMG]

6. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Even after saving the contents of a Magic Memory stick on a hard drive and recopying it after formatting, you still need to write the MS BOOT CODE on the mem stick. Which needs a working PSP to be operational.

So i suggest keep the Magic Memory stick and DONT TOUCH! (lulz) until you will need it again.

7. IBNobody

United States
    No, that is not true. You can use the MSPD command line utilities to reformat and repartition your memory stick, provided that you have an msipl.bin previously extracted from the PSP. (If you use a time machine install, you don't even need to repartition the boot sector.)

This method isn't supported as much, though, because it requires you to have a copy of the msipl.bin file. This file is illegal.

8. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm confused, I turned my MMS back into a regular memory stick. If I were to brick my PSP, can't I just make a new MMS and start over? I did save my nand file on my computer, I'm assuming I would use that? Someone please explain, now I am worried [​IMG]

9. Shyn

Member Shyn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you have another method of putting stuff onto your memory stick aside from your PSP (card reader on your PC/laptop)? If so, you're safe. If not, then keep a dedicated MMS. If you brick your PSP, don't count on using it as a means of accessing data on your memory stick.