ROM Hack [QUESTION] Transparency in Animal Crossing BCRES & Opening models w/ Textures

KoopaStarRpad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
SOLVED:
Set the alpha value of the image to 0, be it with GIMP or something else.
On GIMP, you can find the option under Layer > Transparency > Treshold Alpha, by the way.
I still wish the textures automatically had an alpha value of 0…

–––

It bugs me that every texture is transparent, any way to make them "solid" without placing multiple layers of the same texture over the original texture?
Exporting as a format that doesn't support transparency–
Doesn't work, at least on my Mac.

Just saw this:
https://twitter.com/Ehm2k/status/794448170306695168

Which looks much better than this:
RVcar01_base10.png

Additionally, how can I open models and apply textures to them the best way?

If I load the new RV model of ACNL Welcome amiibo in Ohana3DS Rebirth it's white, of course, with some lighting textures too.
Importing textures like the one I linked only results in it being featured on the list of textures, but not in the preview.
But as I don't post this in the Ohana3DS topic, I want to say that EFE also doesn't load models (something something index out of array) and the original Ohana3DS has the same results as Rebirth.

Last edited by KoopaStarRpad,

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No quick fix?
Bump, as it got buried.

The layer's transparency is basically pointless. Almost all models load white under the textures, so if you just want the texture file to look good on your computer, put a white layer behind it in your image editor of choice. Exporting a png without removing the white layer won't negatively effect most things. (Flowers, pwps and a certain comedian are the only unusual instances that I can think of)

Edit, just read the second half of your question. On a mac... Good luck. Get vmware or something and install basic win7 to it, that's what I usually use to do texture edits. You can use wine, winery or winebottler but they just dont work as well. The program in question is ohanaXY (to reinsert textures, Ohana rebirth doesn't allow reinsertion of textures) and you can't quite generate custom models yet. If you can, certainly nobody is telling. And as far as seeing your edits in game, I don't know what method you're using. If you're rebuilding the cia, the edits should show fine, same for hans. LayeredFS with NTR seems to be broken, or at least I can't get it to work. And as mentioned above, if all you're doing is removing the transparency and making the textures solid, you won't notice a change in game since the does this natively for most models

Last edited by deishido,
Reactions: KoopaStarRpad

KoopaStarRpad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The layer's transparency is basically pointless. Almost all models load white under the textures, so if you just want the texture file to look good on your computer, put a white layer behind it in your image editor of choice. Exporting a png without removing the white layer won't negatively effect most things. (Flowers, pwps and a certain comedian are the only unusual instances that I can think of)

Edit, just read the second half of your question. On a mac... Good luck. Get vmware or something and install basic win7 to it, that's what I usually use to do texture edits. You can use wine, winery or winebottler but they just dont work as well. The program in question is ohanaXY (to reinsert textures, Ohana rebirth doesn't allow reinsertion of textures) and you can't quite generate custom models yet. If you can, certainly nobody is telling. And as far as seeing your edits in game, I don't know what method you're using. If you're rebuilding the cia, the edits should show fine, same for hans. LayeredFS with NTR seems to be broken, or at least I can't get it to work. And as mentioned above, if all you're doing is removing the transparency and making the textures solid, you won't notice a change in game since the does this natively for most models

So, exporting + putting in a white layer underneath is mandatory, oh well.
Thanks, still.
There should be a way to default EFE's preview to a white background instead of transparency, right?

By the way, I already use with Windows 8 and for now, I just want to explore the data for Welcome amiibo, as my hacking 3DS' top screen blacked out.
Already did some texture edits back then, so that isn't a problem.
I just wanted to have Ohana show the imported textures on the models, as even when I tick "Always use first texture" off, restart the program and remove the first texture, the program never applies the changes instantly.
Guess it doesn't work like that, so I have to export the textures, use the original Ohana and import the textures, but renamed so another texture is used at the first.
Is that understandable enough?
If not, open the Festivale's flying feathers in the Insects folder on Ohana, for example, and the red feather is always displayed in the preview.
Only renaming the textures to rearrange the order and importing the renamed textures shows the applied changes, sadly.
Or open Welcome amiibo's RV model and you can't import one of the RV textures with them being used in the model's preview.

EDIT:
RecoveryDrum.png

On the top, a texture with multiple layers of itself as a background, bottom left with a white, and bottom right with a grey background.
Simply putting a white layer behind the texture doesn't do the job, or I am simply doing things wrong.

Last edited by KoopaStarRpad,
Reactions: deishido

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, exporting + putting in a white layer underneath is mandatory, oh well.
Thanks, still.
There should be a way to default EFE's preview to a white background instead of transparency, right?

By the way, I already use with Windows 8 and for now, I just want to explore the data for Welcome amiibo, as my hacking 3DS' top screen blacked out.
Already did some texture edits back then, so that isn't a problem.
I just wanted to have Ohana show the imported textures on the models, as even when I tick "Always use first texture" off, restart the program and remove the first texture, the program never applies the changes instantly.
Guess it doesn't work like that, so I have to export the textures, use the original Ohana and import the textures, but renamed so another texture is used at the first.
Is that understandable enough?
If not, open the Festivale's flying feathers in the Insects folder on Ohana, for example, and the red feather is always displayed in the preview.
Only renaming the textures to rearrange the order and importing the renamed textures shows the applied changes, sadly.
Or open Welcome amiibo's RV model and you can't import one of the RV textures with them being used in the model's preview.

EDIT:
View attachment 67958

On the top, a texture with multiple layers of itself as a background, bottom left with a white, and bottom right with a grey background.
Simply putting a white layer behind the texture doesn't do the job, or I am simply doing things wrong.

I assumed you were using a mac from the first post. Oops! Also the final results you have are interesting. Although I suppose I've never replaced any textured that used bright colors like that. It seems that I'm the one doing it wrong!

As for previewing in Ohana, I've never actually gotten it to do what you're wanting. Unfortunately the program's creator basically has np intention of supporting Animal Crossing specific files. (I havent seen bcres used in many other places, and they seem to have a unique makeup among bcres files) . I've always just dropped the file in game and looked there. With Hans it was tedious having to remake the romFS file over and over. The LayeredFS NTR plugin was a blessing. (I'm just sad its not working currently) its probably possible to backport new items into the older version of the game (by replacing old items) and test there. I assume using the versions of the items from the update will work fine in replacing other items. (HHD files are incompatable with New Leaf, but these new items seem to be made for new leaf, so it should work)

Reactions: KoopaStarRpad

KoopaStarRpad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I assumed you were using a mac from the first post. Oops! Also the final results you have are interesting. Although I suppose I've never replaced any textured that used bright colors like that. It seems that I'm the one doing it wrong!

As for previewing in Ohana, I've never actually gotten it to do what you're wanting. Unfortunately the program's creator basically has np intention of supporting Animal Crossing specific files. (I havent seen bcres used in many other places, and they seem to have a unique makeup among bcres files) . I've always just dropped the file in game and looked there. With Hans it was tedious having to remake the romFS file over and over. The LayeredFS NTR plugin was a blessing. (I'm just sad its not working currently) its probably possible to backport new items into the older version of the game (by replacing old items) and test there. I assume using the versions of the items from the update will work fine in replacing other items. (HHD files are incompatable with New Leaf, but these new items seem to be made for new leaf, so it should work)

Oh well, no problem, I just wanted to take a look at the new stuff in the update and do that the best and most efficient way, but it seems that there is not much I didn't know already, good.
Not really into changing stuff that's in the game, more into analyzing the changes and such.
For example, I found out that some of the items' textures in the game were changed, like the oil drum's text was mirrored to look like intended in-game, the toaster's toast looks more life-like, the alarm clock has a number changed, but I always had to export the textures and use an image editor.
Some things have really slim differences, and as the result, I felt the urge to ask if there are some easier methods for a clear look at the textures and if there are some better ways to view the AC models, but it doesn't seem like there would be.

But if there's not much I can do about this, I might continue casually looking for stuff.
Currently am comparing scripts, which is quite tedious with the EU copy and its 5 languages–
though the biggest nemesis is the formatting of the script, I use a hex editor instead of MSBT Editor Reloaded because it's a million times quicker, but alas there are also many drawbacks.
At last, I'm satisfied with my finds and I think I uncovered most of the important stuff, but there are still things I am oblivious about, which probably belongs to the "Games & Contents" board.
(Or TCRF, but I'm too lazy to get started with that rn)

Off-topic:
The file I'm most intrigued about is m_etc_charm, which is in the Insects folder (Where the catchable Feathers and Snowflakes are located too) and presumably has to do something with the museum, haven't checked that yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol