Question to British people

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by Luigi F Mario, May 2, 2009.

May 2, 2009
  1. Luigi F Mario
    OP

Banned Luigi F Mario Banned

United States
    In the movie Kidulthood the character "Sam" has a baseball bat. To me this seems like a major plot hole, because we all know you don't play baseball. At least thats what i thought, is baseball a popular sport over there? I thought you guys played Cricket? Can you buy baseball bats in England?

-Luigi F Mario

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I think its more to do with how Us culture has influenced urban London culture as seen with kidulthood. In London, you can get a proportion of people who have basketball and baseball shirts/merchandise due to this rather then being baseball fanatics. SO in conclusion it isn't a plot hole but a good job on cultural influences.

So to answer you other questions

1) Baseball isn't a mainstream sport in the UK. I'd say it has a niche following.
    2) we do play cricket- it's second to football or how our friends across the pond call it "soccer."
    3) Yes you can buy baseball bats in the UK.

Hoped this helped

3. Luigi F Mario
    OP

Banned Luigi F Mario Banned

United States
    yes that did help! thank you very much [​IMG]

-Luigi F Mario

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Actually we've been using Baseball bats for a few of hundred years only instead of playing Baseball we played Rounders, which is a variation of Softball but the difference is that we use baseball bats instead. Used to play Rounders a lot in school in the late 80's/early 90's. Of course because of American influence over the last 20 odd years its not played as much nowadays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Plus by wearing a peaked hat you can hide more of your facial features whilst you "do crime".