Homebrew [Question] The story of 3ds hacking.

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if I may make a little suggestion, there used to be quite a vibrant fire emblem hacking scene built around the gba games. Honestly there's enough between those games and Pokemon alone to flesh out a gba chapter. If needed I can provide what I know about FE hacking and get you(or whoever wants to get in on FE gba hacking as it's really quite accessible) with one of the more well known modders. Most of the scene is dead now unfortunately, and the only big name still around doesn't do it anymore. But I'm almost certain he'd be happy to share what he knows, relate stories about others' projects, etc.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Some time ago I did scrap good chunks of the net and found valuable info, mixed everything up with own knowledge and sumarized about everything.

It's in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/questions-technical-details-of-scene-status.415375/
There's a bunch missing though. Did you know there was a mini homebrew scene based around launching arm9 homebrew from launcher.dat's? From firm 4.5? Yep. Started here.

Mostly the 3ds scene was dominated from then until Nov 2014 by Gateway, then came the "palantine" cfw, then ninjhax 1.x, then GW 9.x and the reversing of that, pasta, rxtools lite, rxtools hacked, rxtools open source, ninhax 2.x etc.
Getting carried away there :P

Last edited by zoogie,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a bunch missing though. Did you know there was a mini homebrew scene based around launching arm9 homebrew from launcher.dat's? From firm 4.5? Yep. Started here.

Mostly the 3ds scene was dominated from then until Nov 2014 by Gateway, then came the "palantine" cfw, then ninjhax 1.x, then GW 9.x and the reversing of that, pasta, rxtools lite, rxtools hacked, rxtools open source, ninhax 2.x etc.
Getting carried away there :P

Of course it's incomplete! I'm not dedicated enough to documentate everything. I did try my best, and for what I needed the info, was more than enough. Still thanks for the point :D

Reactions: zoogie

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So. I am almost done typing up the Homebros segment. I decided I am going to use google drive and keep it free. I'll just add a paypal link :D My goal is to be done chapter one this week. I just want to see if I can grab one or two more interviews.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Once upon a time there was a console and it was three dimensional and fit your pocket.
Some people really wanted to hack it, so they did. Some chinese people also sold a cartridge to pirate games with, because that is what Chinese people do. If they can make money with something they will heed no mind to your puny western/Japanese laws about that. Chinese are bros like that.
So after a while there was heckload of patches to remedy these and hackers updating their exploits when they eventually could until 2014-2015 hits and some twat named Smea who stole my name makes hax. And he makes it good. Too bad it first was for a game nobody had, and after releasing the exploit it was a game everybody continued to not have because now he made it cost more than anyone has money for a bad game. So he got along with some other guys and they made a bunch of other exploits along with the old one and homebrew would be GREAT. Then chunk hax happened, some guy devised a plan to make a CFW with stuff on firmwares and that happened, and CFW's happened. So Nintendo patches that too (obviously). So they decided to just do as the chinese and use the inferior Chinese standard for emunands because unity is strong yo. But there was one guy who wanted to make things in his own way and nobody even remembers that anymore. So Nintendo patches that too (obviously). So emunands became GREAT and everyone kept updating them until Knock Knock; It's Nintendo, and they have a N3DS out. "Close up, the new console" they said. "Stop having it cracked wide open" - so 9.6 had new crypto on N3DS nobody really could do anything about it for a while へ‿(ツ)‿ㄏ.
Then someone found A9 hacks, dug up some keys and they promptly went onward ignoring any crypto nintendo had introduced thus far and to the next near future.
Also someone made a arm9loader hack that would be great if it weren't scary as heck to install.

THE END(?)

the purpose of this post is purely educational. All accuracy in this post is accurate as heck and this should be at least be written down in a book or something, seriously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs