Hacking [QUESTION] SX OS Emunand is safe to prevent recent pokemon/tinfoil/etc bricks?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, there is no lazy way to prevent stuff like that. Also the tinfoil brick is CONJECTURE at best. There is no magical lazy way to prevent something from bricking your system, the only way is for the user to not be stupid and don't run anything on their system that isn't verified

Reactions: FortalezaG

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No, there is no lazy way to prevent stuff like that. Also the tinfoil brick is CONJECTURE at best. There is no magical lazy way to prevent something from bricking your system, the only way is for the user to not be stupid and don't run anything on their system that isn't verified
You're saying that installing "brick" in """EmuNAND""" would still brick your NAND?

Reactions: andeers

FortalezaG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for your comments.
But emunand and sysnand work separately, is not it? So in theory if I use the emunand and brick it, I would have the sysnand preserved. If not, what real use would the SX OS emunand have?

tks

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're saying that installing "brick" in """EmuNAND""" would still brick your NAND?
exactly!! ;)

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your comments.
But emunand and sysnand work separately, is not it? So in theory if I use the emunand and brick it, I would have the sysnand preserved. If not, what real use would the SX OS emunand have?

tks

exactly!! ;)
Yes that's exactly what it's for. If you brick your emunand then boot into your nand and make a new "emunand".

Also make sure you have a current Nand backup.

Reactions: FortalezaG

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, this emunand is like a condom - an added shield of protection. I may have to start using it now.

After this Pokemon fiasco, the good thing that came out of it - is people backing up their Nand. This brick code is Switch's 1st virus, just like computer the best defence is backing up.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

solitaire4eva

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of this makes any sense. Its a corrupted NSP version of the games that are causing the bricks. Common sense would be just to avoid the damn NSP version of the game. XCI in one hand and NSP in the other, why install a NSP, especially one that is unverified.

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why it's insane not to use emunand and ergo sxos.

SX emunand will NOT protect you from everything.
(Next atmosphere version will)

Anything running in the EmuNAND has no access to the actual NAND, silly. Stop huffing the Atmosphere koolaid.

Could we stop with the tribalism? Especially as it's probably false information.
It's very questionable that the emunand of SX OS would have protected you from a brick through the fake pokémon release.

According to to this research here the emunand is created by copying your USER partition.

The fake release damages your PRODINFO partition among other possible partitions. So how is going to safe you, that you are running a copy of your USER partition?

Stop plugging your favorite OS on every possible occasion. It's such nonsense. You're spreading false information that new users will believe, if they see it repeated often enough.
Matter of fact: Neither SX OS or Atmosphere will miraculously safe you. Even if Scires apparently tries to help out.

None of this makes any sense. Its a corrupted NSP version of the games that are causing the bricks. Common sense would be just to avoid the damn NSP version of the game. XCI in one hand and NSP in the other, why install a NSP, especially one that is unverified.

This is a common missunderstanding here. The problem doesn't start when you install the fake game through the nsp. The problem starts when you run it.
Malcious code needs to be executed. This can happen through nsp, xci or a payload. Don't let yourself be fooled by the format it's delivered.

Just look at viruses or malware on a regular pc. Most of the time your problem begins when you open FREE_SONG.mp3.exe. Not when you download it.
The malware would need to be executed through any means on the right level of process elevation, before it can damage your system. The Switch is no different in that regard.

Last edited by Taorn,

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could we stop with the tribalism? Especially as it's probably false information.
It's very questionable that the emunand of SX OS would have protected you from a brick through the fake pokémon release.

According to to this research here the emunand is created by copying your USER partition.

The fake release damages your PRODINFO partition among other possible partitions. So how is going to safe you, that you are running a copy of your USER partition?

Stop plugging your favorite OS on every possible occasion. It's such nonsense. You're spreading false information that new users will believe, if they see it repeated often enough.
Matter of fact: Neither SX OS or Atmosphere will miraculously safe you. Even if Scires apparently tries to help out.

This is a common missunderstanding here. The problem doesn't start when you install the fake game through the nsp. The problem starts when you run it.
Malcious codes needs to be executed. This can happen through nsp, xci or a payload. Don't let yourself be fooled by just format.
It makes a copy inside the emunand. Nothing is touched in your normal sysnand. If it didn't protect you then it would be completely pointless. However this needs to be verified. Nobody can claim 100 percent weather it works or not without actually testing it. First you'd have to make a current Nand backup of course. Who's up to the challenge?

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes a copy inside the emunand. Nothing is touched in your normal sysnand. If it didn't protect you then it would be completely pointless. However this needs to be verified. Nobody can claim 100 percent weather it works or not without actually testing it. First you'd have to make a current Nand backup of course. Who's up to the challenge?

According to the linked research, emunand resides inside of one or more files. Those files saved on your regular USER partition.
This is important, as it states that only one partition is duplicated and then used as your USER partition.

So now let's have a look at a raw dump of a Switch nand:
rd8EkJX.png

So to keep it simple, the emunand is apparently a copy of your original USER partition. Although it is shrunken down to save space.
Now you run the malware and it's writing garbage data to your PRODINFO and SYSTEM partitions.
Those two partitions were not duplicated beforehand. There are now gone. How can anything, expected a backup, save your from this situation?

So no, I have to disagree with your claim. It doesn't need to be tested to be proven. You can also deduct an outcome by looking at the facts you happen to know.

Last edited by Taorn,

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the linked research, emunand resides inside of one or more files. Those files saved on your regular USER partition.
This is important, as it states that only one partition is duplicated and then used as your USER partition.

So now let's have a look at a raw dump of a Switch nand:
rd8EkJX.png

So to keep it simple, the emunand is apparently a copy of your original USER partition. Although it is shrunken down to save space.
Now you run the malware and it's writing garbage data to your PRODINFOand SYSTEM partitions.
Those two partitions were not duplicated beforehand. There are now gone. How can anything, expected a backup, save your from this situation?

So no, I have to disagree with your claim. It doesn't need to be tested to be proven. You can also deduct an outcome by looking at the facts you happen to know.
I don't use sx-os emunand because I dislike the idea of messing with my nand to begin with. But if what you're saying is correct then sx-os emuand solution really is pretty useless at protecting your Nand. Hopefully this pikabrick fiasco leads TX to create a real sd emunand solution.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't use sx-os emunand because I dislike the idea of messing with my nand to begin with. But if what you're saying is correct then sx-os emuand solution really is pretty useless at protecting your Nand. Hopefully this pikabrick fiasco leads TX to create a real sd emunand solution.

Bit of a PSA here, seems there's a new brickware out in the wild disguised as super smash bros ultimate

Reactions: comput3rus3r

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's fine really. My post wasn't intended as an attack.
I also wouldn't go as far as stating that the emunand is completely useless.
It just won't save your from this malware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: