Hardware [Question] Switch Pro controller alternative?

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
The switch pro controller is absolutely worth the money it's super high quality and the battery lasts forever charges fast when it dies too. Not like the Xbox controller where you have to use your own batteries or
Xbox AA battery swaps are preferable to me. Easy quick swaps. No charging downtime. Low self-discharge Eneloops are cheap enough and have been available for over a decade.

Use them in multiple devices. Never worry about replacing an aging proprietary lithium ion battery that's lost its charge capacity through the years, or through heat stresses, non-use or faulty manufacture. No tools or 'service' to quickly swap or replace an AA. Far cheaper overall. Not tied to one device.

But personally I still use wired controllers and removed the RF board from my 360. Wireless gets no use.

No airplane mode. No 100% wired console gaming choices.
If Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft had any clue, they'd treat (and market) wired controllers as equivalents to wireless (at the very least), instead of treating them as featureless afterthoughts (if that). They should allow users the choice to game 100% wired with no background bluetooth being emitted, instead of taking that choice away and having millions of customers exposed to damaging microwaves....as if there wasn't enough of that already.

Today's consoles are among the only wireless-capable devices with no Airplane Mode and a seemingly complete lack of interest in first-party 100% wired gaming for those that want it. Despite the evidence showing 2.4Ghz is far from harmless.

Last edited by foob,
Reactions: ipkryss

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No airplane mode. No 100% wired console gaming choices.
If Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft had any clue, they'd treat (and market) wired controllers as equivalents to wireless (at the very least), instead of treating them as featureless afterthoughts (if that). They should allow users the choice to game 100% wired with no background bluetooth being emitted, instead of taking that choice away and having millions of customers exposed to damaging microwaves....as if there wasn't enough of that already.

Today's consoles are among the only wireless-capable devices with no Airplane Mode and a seemingly complete lack of interest in first-party 100% wired gaming for those that want it. Despite the evidence showing 2.4Ghz is far from harmless.

I could have sworn I saw an Airplane mode on the Switch.
switch-airplane-mode.jpg

I think I must have been mistaken or something. It also really sucks that there is no option to use the Pro Controller with wired communication, only wireless.
Pro-Controller-Wired-Communication-in-Nintendo-Switch-600x338.jpg

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could have sworn I saw an Airplane mode on the Switch.
switch-airplane-mode.jpg

I think I must have been mistaken or something. It also really sucks that there is no option to use the Pro Controller with wired communication, only wireless.
Pro-Controller-Wired-Communication-in-Nintendo-Switch-600x338.jpg
To his credit, airplane mode doesn't work when docked. The wired pro controller mode does, though

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Switch Pro Controller is worth every penny.

Most cheaper alternatives don't have the tech like HD rumble, NFC, and gyroscope. On top of that, the Pro Controller is the most solidly built Nintendo controller in decades. In no way does it feel flimsy, it has a really nice weight, and it's ridiculously comfortable to hold.

And it's not glossy, so it won't look like a filthy fingerprint magnet after a week.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have the money, I recommend titan one. It lets you use almost any usb or bluetooth controller on most consoles and pc (including switch). You can map buttons and make macros. I love it, and I would use it on my switch, but the switch pro controller is already my favorite. (I've used it to play PS3 with the switch pro though)

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TotalInsanity4, SG854: For all that is good in gaming, take your argument elsewhere. It's completely off topic and really damn annoying IMO.

On topic: I like the 8bitdo controllers. I bought the SN30 for the tablet and have enjoyed using it. Feels good in hand and the buttons feel "right". If I didn't play exclusively in handheld mode (and had the extra money to throw around), I'd get one.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
I very highly recommend a magic-NS plus a PS4 controller
i love my ps4pro controller , can it be used wirelessly with that 20$ dongle?
and also do i need to press any button every time i boot up the switch or can i boot up the switch with a ps4 controller by pressing home(ps) button and then it will turn on the switch wirelessly?

if so i will get one, because i believe that, this magic ns works with the wii u console as well isnt that right?
it seems good, i will watch some video reviews about it !

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only does the Pro controller not have feature parity with the tech in the joycons, its operation does not allow for a 100% wired experience.
... literally everything that's in the Joycon is in the Pro Controller, minus the IR camera. And the Pro controller can be used in virtually every game the Joycon can (minus "tech demo" stuff like 1-2 Switch and Labo). And yes, as I said in the other thread, the SPC is set up to be capable of 100% wired usage. If you're really THIS bothered about something like this, at least look into the thing you're complaining about before complaining about it.

I'm not even convinced you're arguing with a purpose anymore, it seems like you're just arguing to be a contrarian

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
... literally everything that's in the Joycon is in the Pro Controller, minus the IR camera.

In other words, it doesn't reach feature-parity.

And the Pro controller can be used in virtually every game the Joycon can (minus "tech demo" stuff like 1-2 Switch and Labo). And yes, as I said in the other thread, the SPC is set up to be capable of 100% wired usage.

You may want to tell Nintendo their info is wrong.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...a_id/22456/~/how-to-turn-airplane-mode-on/off

If you're really THIS bothered about something like this, at least look into the thing you're complaining about before complaining about it.

I'm not even convinced you're arguing with a purpose anymore, it seems like you're just arguing to be a contrarian

My concern is not whether you are convinced or not. I know I have taken measures to reduce exposure and also tell my nephews and nieces to reduce exposure too. Measures I have taken include taking out the RF and Wifi modules of the Xbox 360 E and using wired controllers because the choice to game 100% wired has been taken away from us in console land.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i love my ps4pro controller , can it be used wirelessly with that 20$ dongle?
and also do i need to press any button every time i boot up the switch or can i boot up the switch with a ps4 controller by pressing home(ps) button and then it will turn on the switch wirelessly?

if so i will get one, because i believe that, this magic ns works with the wii u console as well isnt that right?
it seems good, i will watch some video reviews about it !
The PS4 controller can be used wirelessly, but it won't turn on the Switch wirelessly.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question - when you want to check the battery PERCENTAGE on the indicator on the home menu....what do you guys do? Do you touch it with your finger? I discovered yesterday you can show it by pressing both shoulder buttons at the same time. Nothing major but new to me.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's sadly the same for any controller, which makes me kinda sad
I may be missing some context here, but the Joy Cons can turn on the Switch wirelessly provided the Switch is in sleep mode.

Also, I picked up a FC30 Pro off Amazon for like, 45 bucks. The thing lags to fuckin' hell when using it with other controllers attached to the Switch. I even updated to the latest firmware and I'm still experiencing issues. Anyone have a fix for this?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may be missing some context here, but the Joy Cons can turn on the Switch wirelessly provided the Switch is in sleep mode.

Also, I picked up a FC30 Pro off Amazon for like, 45 bucks. The thing lags to fuckin' hell when using it with other controllers attached to the Switch. I even updated to the latest firmware and I'm still experiencing issues. Anyone have a fix for this?
The Switch Pro can't (or at least not by just pressing the face buttons). I might just be doing something wrong though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: