Hacking [Question] Sigpatched sysNAND vs redNAND; Which is Safer?

fortedsx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been browsing around the forums and some parts of the net trying to get a general idea on what kind of setup I should go for my Wii U.

According to this post (link), I should go with redNAND because it's safer since if something goes bad, I can just restore my redNAND from a backup.

But according to these two sources (link 1, link 2), there's a small chance of bricking my console if I use redNAND and implied that I should just patch sysNAND using Mocha CFW or HachiFW. And if I understand the first link correctly, I won't be allowed to format my redNAND-enabled console without bricking it?

And after reading a bit more, is it true that there currently isn't method available to restore a bricked Wii U using a NAND backup without performing a hard mod?

Reactions: FlappyFalco

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there is no way currently to restore a bricked Wii U. Even a hardmod would require you to first backup the sysnand so you wouldn't be able to flash your rednand backup onto the sysnand.

As far as whats safer, we don't really know yet. The only way we can find out is IF they release a new update. Since they just officially ended support for the Wii U yesterday I doubt we'll see an update but only then would we know which one was safest.

I'm just using a sigpatched sysNAND. I haven't had a single problem with it but as far as the future, I dunno, my crystal ball is broken.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Logically, redNAND would be safer, just due to the fact if you brick it with an invalid install, you're just out a redNAND, and can re-create it or restore it from a backup.

Sigpatched sysNAND, without a pre-menu entry point, is toast if you do the same thing to it.

In regards to your link, I'm assuming the can't format is if you're running CBHC, as you'd lose the title it's trying to start on boot.
I haven't been paying much attention to the WiiU scene, but it seems odd you'd be able to brick your sysNAND from redNAND unless you're either using CBHC, or the redNAND implementation on WiiU isn't redirecting everything properly.

Reactions: iAqua

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol