[Question] Sega said they wanted to become a brand again.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Selim873, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Selim873
    OP

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Seriously, what was the "big announcement" they had planned for TGS? I wasn't expecting a new console, but the only thing out of anything Sega related that gave me any kind of emotion was a little depression and a little happiness, simply because they're showcasing PSO2 and it's still not coming to the West, but Persona 5 will make up for that. :)

Please for the love of everything, tell me that it's not the clothing line... I dig the orange Dreamcast shirt and the Dreamcast lace-less shoes, but that feels a little underwhelming since they said they had a huge surprise. Could they still be holding on to that announcement?

EDIT: I found a pending WIPO patent on a HUGE Sega Branding. Here's the highlighted part focused on a home console. Though, what are in patents aren't always guaranteed, it's something to look at.

[​IMG]

I used to have a direct link, but it was a temporary one, so if you want to read their patent in person, go to http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/ and search SEGA LIVE CREATION. It should be the first result.

Last edited by Selim873, Sep 24, 2015
  2. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Sega need to have a serious rethink of their strategy. They're one of the companies that 'innovate' for the sake of innovation. Best guess is that they think there's some big secret to make Sonic games sell like Call of Duty. The simple fact is that they're blinded by greed. If they'd just calm down and refine the better ideas from the Sonic series instead of ditching them all the time for some new shot in the dark, they'd be making respectable profits because they'd be giving the fans what they want.

Most fans can agree that Sonic Generations was a step in the right direction and for the most part a damn fine game (that mission where you bonce notes back at Vector with dodgy controls notwithstanding). But instead of working on that and making it even better, they ditched the whole thing and made a pale imitation of Mario Galaxy. Then ditched that and tried a reboot when it wasn't necessary which as we all know led to Sonic Boom's tidal wave of failure. There is some talent at Sega, they can make great games. But they need to stop chasing the next big thing and settle into just giving the customer what they want.

Selim873 likes this.
  3. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    Sega needs to stop making so many sonic games and expand on their other IPs. They have so much more to offer and they don't even bother with things like the PSO2 localization. If they released fewer, higher quality sonic games and used their other IPs they could be one of the best devs around, but they really seem to hate that idea. They may own Atlus but they seem to be rather independent from Sega's typical practices. Hopefully they will see how successful Atlus' approach is and branch out into more games.

Selim873 likes this.
  4. Selim873
    OP

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I totally agree! They think doing this stuff will make it sell, but Sonic was completely different from Mario in a sense. Sonic can't be expanded in a way that Mario can, but the original formula works phenomenally!

Pretty much goes on point with what Blaze163 was saying. Fewer but high quality Sonic games, maybe two or three per generation is all we need, but they think rehashing it like CoD will make it sell because they think Americans will just buy them. That's not the case, seeing how Sonic Boom turned out.

5. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    First off PSO2 is not as great as so many claim, have it, played it, it may just be me but it feels off. Agreed with all points in this thread so far, honestly a new Space Channel 5, Jet Grind/Set Radio (JSRF . . . . . NO!) Hell I'll even take a new Out Run or Hang On tbh. Being that I grew up on SEGA would be nice if they got their shyt together and started over again.

6. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    The first step for them to improve is not to release shit games like Sonic Boom. The next step is to make good games. They are capable of making good games like the previously mentioned Sonic Generations. Perhaps they could team up with Sumo Digital again, they did an amazing job on Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. I'm sure plently of fans would buy Skies of Arcadia HD or a Sonic Generations 2. They should do what they know works and simultaneously trying out new ideas. When they try out their new ideas they need to take their time and do it properly.

So pretty much SEGA needs to both follow their classic formula and try new things. Most importantly, don't fuck it up.

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Bring out more Valkyria Chronicles or get the fuck out of here Sega.

8. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Current Sega needs to segway from crappy games to quality games for once.

ComeTurismO and Selim873 like this.
  9. Selim873
    OP

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Thought I'd bump this up because I found something. I heard around that Sega is pending a patent through WIPO for something called Sega Live Creation. So I hunted the patent down and found it, read what I've highlighted, I'll also link the patent itself. I think this is the brand they were talking about! It even included the phrase Home Game Consoles, which I'll highlight within the highlight. The temporary accommodation section also mentions rental of wet wipes and towels. Which is great, because I'm gonna have to clean myself up if Sega ACTUALLY announcees a new console at all! Even if not, I would love for Sega to become an overall brand name, which is what they seem to be aiming for! This is very exciting!! I also want the change the subject of the thread's title from Question to Discussion, since I actually found something worth discussing on the subject. I can't find an option to do that. If this thread starts to become active, I'd like a mod to change that if users can't do that.

Untitled.png

Last edited by Selim873, Sep 24, 2015