Hardware [Question] Safety of USB-C Passthrough Cables?

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
So, I've heard about not all USB-C cables being the same and how some third-party type C accessories can potentially cause permanent damage to the Nintendo Switch. However I was wondering if USB-C passthrough/extension cables carry the same risk?

I'm looking at a cable like this:
B832C1B6-5562-4EF5-8EF2-423E7716FC47.jpeg

It's a USB-C male-to-female extension cable that the seller specifically states is "compatible with Nintendo Switch", but presumably they mean that it works with charging cables.

I was wondering if it's safe to use this to connect a Switch to a dock, since docked mode uses a higher voltage/current setting than most USB-C connections.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So, I've heard about not all USB-C cables being the same and how some third-party type C accessories can potentially cause permanent damage to the Nintendo Switch. However I was wondering if USB-C passthrough/extension cables carry the same risk?

I'm looking at a cable like this:
View attachment 107934
It's a USB-C male-to-female extension cable that the seller specifically states is "compatible with Nintendo Switch", but presumably they mean that it works with charging cables.

I was wondering if it's safe to use this to connect a Switch to a dock, since docked mode uses a higher voltage/current setting than most USB-C connections.
I think the worst that can happen with that is it simply won't work.

Reactions: NekoMichi

Ryccardo

watching Thames TV from London
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
However I was wondering if USB-C passthrough/extension cables carry the same risk?
It's very hard to get an extension cord wrong - don't know about the failure mode of that dock or the design quality of the Switch, but the worst a correctly wired but junk cable* can do is not work

* as opposed to those "charging" cables that gave negative press to USB-C, which instead of just connecting some or all wires to the other side, include hardware to spoof the other device as a high performance charger

Reactions: NekoMichi

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    The mechs of mw2 really don't feel that bad
    +2
  • Shape @ Shape:
    Neither do the mechs of mech warrior 2. Much better game.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    People would say different if cod Gundam was a thing
    +1
  • Shape @ Shape:
    Omg do you know how much money I would spend if that was a thing? Especially if you get to assemble the gundams somewhat like those old model toy kits. The answer is zero dollars. I would spend zero dollars. It would still be so good, though.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Liar
    +1
  • Shape @ Shape:
    $118.49
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    I bought 1-2 switch, imagine my pain
    +2
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    for full price at launch
    +2
  • Shape @ Shape:
    Full price at launch for full exploitability without modchips. Or so I hear.
    +1
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    You should like buy a 3rd one and ship it to my address
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    No no lads, the game called 1-2 switch
    +1
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    Where you feel the controller vibrate and guess how many virtual ice cubes are inside of it
    +2
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    You should still buy me a switch so I don't have to pay for it
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    best game on the switch amirite
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i just saw a video yesterday that mentioned how it's a good thing 1-2-switch wasn't a pack in title because it would've made everyone lose faith in the switch immediately and they might have a point
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    It was this one, The "video" Jdbye watched this one. :P
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    What no The Real video Jdbye?
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    @Shape, Quake is great.
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    QUAKER OATS! :P
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Remember to eat your oats