[ Question ] RomFS → .CIA file

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Choromatsu, May 31, 2016.

1. Choromatsu
    OP

Choromatsu Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2016
    United States
    First off I'd like to say I have followed this guide to a T, and it isn't working out for me, so that isn't the problem.

That said, I'm on the latest Luma, everything updated.
    I'm dumping the game from my cart ( though I have also tried a digital game ). I add in the patch files, and pack it up into the romFS file. Using Hans, that loads up perfectly. It plays perfectly cleanly.

But I want to install it instead. My SD card isn't small, but if I want to add anymore games from the eShop and add any patches for them also, I'll definitely have to upgrade my SD card pretty soon. I wouldn't mind, but obviously, it's not preferable. So, using all the files I got from the CXI, I pack it all up using the 3DS Builder in the Toolkit, then use the 3DS to CIA converter mentioned in the guide also.

Then, I install it using FBI, and ... it immediately black screens, telling me to shut off my 3DS.

Am I just doing something wrong, here?

2. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    What game is it? Is it a Pokemon mod? CTGP-7?

3. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    When are the black screens happening? During the install, after the install completes, when you launch the game... Also, what are you using to dump the games?

4. Choromatsu
    OP

Choromatsu Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2016
    United States
    Animal Crossing New Leaf ( Digital ), and Fire Emblem Conquest ( Physical ).

It installs fine, the banner shows fine ( for the former game, nothing for the latter ), and as soon as I launch the game, it black screens me.
    I dump them with Braindump, and convert the CXI using the guide linked.

Last edited by Choromatsu, May 31, 2016
  5. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Braindump lacks the exheader when you dump roms iirc, so you will have to use funkycia2 to get digital games, and uncart/gws cart dumper for physical games

6. Choromatsu
    OP

Choromatsu Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2016
    United States
    Is that so? Because I definitely get a DecryptedExHeader.bin file for both, but I'll give those a shot just to see if that helps my problem at all. Thanks!

7. consecrated

consecrated Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    United States
    I have the exact same problem when trying to build and install a slightly modified star sapphire rom.
    I have only added the 679 modification.
    However, I have tried installing a normal star sapphire CIA as well, and it gives the same problem.
    Might I also ask why you set your text so small xD?

8. Choromatsu
    OP

Choromatsu Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2016
    United States
    I can install most CIAs perfectly fine, though I've only used CIAngel to get them.
    So I wonder if it's a problem with the encryption and decryption.

Small text is just my preference.

9. consecrated

consecrated Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    United States
    A normal alpha sapphire works for me, but star sapphire doesn't