Hardware Question related to RAM and Graphics Card

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The type of ram your motherboard takes can indeed be any of the ones stated in the wikipedia article. What type you need (which will work in what combination) should be stated in your manual someplace. As for your video card quistion, are you sure you only have PCI slots? Not PCI-Express? What slot you have is pretty important deciding your video card. Mainly due to the fact that PCI-Express has a few different versions.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The type of ram your motherboard takes can indeed be any of the ones stated in the wikipedia article. What type you need (which will work in what combination) should be stated in your manual someplace. As for your video card quistion, are you sure you only have PCI slots? Not PCI-Express? What slot you have is pretty important deciding your video card. Mainly due to the fact that PCI-Express has a few different versions.

i didn't get a Manual to tell me what type of DDR2 RAM it is. and I'm certain its PCI.

pcikq9.jpg

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

i didn't get a Manual to tell me what type of DDR2 RAM it is. and I'm certain its PCI.

pcikq9.jpg

Dude that GPU is integrated... You can't go by that. Is your PC a prebuilt? If so what Brand, and Model? Then we can find out if your PC has a PCI-E/AGP Slot.

XT Mercenary

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
download this program http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

it'll give you information about your motherboard, ram etc.

since you have ddr2 it's very unlikely you have a motherboard with anything other than pci-X, in anycase once you find out which motherboard you have (this information will be on the mainboard tab in cpu z) google it and check the specs out, you should be able to find out what kind of expansion ports you have quite easily.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I found out the RAM i have right now is "DDR2-667 (PC2-5300)"

EDIT: i went into the BIOS and in the second tab there was "Primary Video Adapter" beside it was "PCI" then when i click ENTER on it it came up with 3 options:

PCI
PCI-E
Onboard

Does this mean i can get a PCI-E graphics card then change the mode to PCI-E in the BIOS?!

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

EDIT: i went into the BIOS and in the second tab there was "Primary Video Adapter" beside it was "PCI" then when i click ENTER on it it came up with 3 options:

PCI
PCI-E
Onboard

Does this mean i can get a PCI-E graphics card then change the mode to PCI-E in the BIOS?!

Yep, means you can have a PCI, PCI-E or use the onboard video. How much money can you spend on a GPU? For around 40 though there aren't that many cards :S I'll let someone else recommend you something.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

PCI
PCI-E
Onboard

Yep, means you can have a PCI, PCI-E or use the onboard video. How much money can you spend on a GPU? For around 40 though there aren't that many cards :S I'll let someone else recommend you something.

Up to £50 i can spend.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well anyone?.....can anyone recommend a good, under £50 PCI-E GPU?

I found my RAM on Play.com, £13 for 1GB. I'm going to get two.

and for a graphics card i was thinking: GeForce 7300GT

In regard of installing the card, i opened up my computer and found two slots for GPU's so i'm guessing thats PCI and PCI-E but which ones which?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PCI tend to be near the bottom and are usually white and align together in 3 or 2. The PCI-e are usually blue or black and longer sometimes there is a spacing between them for the smaller PCI-e ports i.e. PCI-e 1x.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?