Question reguarding Pinless Wii's?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CDRacingZX6R, Aug 21, 2007.

Aug 21, 2007
  1. CDRacingZX6R
    OP

Newcomer CDRacingZX6R Member

United States
    I have a pinless wii v2 mobo according to Wiitracker. I should be ok on the D2C issue, as it seems others with similar serials to mine dont have the DC2 chip. But I was wondering if someone could tell me a good tutorial, with pictures (if possible) to follow for modding a legless wii? It will be my first hardware mod, and I dont want to ruin my Wii.

Also, I was looking at Wiikey but considering the wireless option of Wiinja. Anyone have any opinions in this reguard?

I haven't been able to locate a tutorial for the pinless mod, only the v1 bored. So any advice or help would be great.

Thanks to anyone who has sympathy and helps. [​IMG]

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/

Several threads on the issue there.

Also, I think you got WiiKey and Wiinja switched around. WiiKey is the one with a quicksolder (not wireless, lol) option. Honestly it doesn't matter which modchip you go for. Wiinja v2 is great for general purpose playing of local games, you can patch other region games with RegionFrii and everything else works as necessary. Nothing to configure or anything, just plug and go and v2 is usually pretty cheap (since the code was leaked).

I personally support the open source mod YAOSM, which you can find more information about on that site I just linked to.

3. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I highly recommend you to let your wii modded by someone with experience.

myself i solder awg30 wires to the exposed nubs, its possible if you have a good eye.

tin the exposed nubs and then strip a long awg30 wire and fix the 3 pins.

now solder wiikey using quicksolder and done.

if you have more questions feel free to ask.
    i cant take pictures at the moment, but i've done about 10 of these legless wii's so i know how to do them.

4. pbskidz

Newcomer pbskidz Member

United States
    What exactly do you mean by nubs? My pins are cut and you can see the three traces but they are cut flush with the black part, can you actually solder wires to that even if they don't stick out a hair?

5. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yeah, it's possible, but very hard and requires flux and the proper technique. When you do this it's actually to rebuild the legs of the chip, so the wire your soldering is actually about 2mm long, then you solder your modchip normally. I can't do it myself. I need to dremel away the top part of the chip to expose the pins further. It's risky business.

6. chronjohnson

Newcomer chronjohnson Advanced Member

What's everyone using as their soldering tool for this nonsense. This isn't some Radio Shack shopping trip, they have nothing. I have a brand new 15w radio shack deal and won't even bother opening it for this operation. Radio Shack of course doesn't sell replacement tips...well they do, but they're screw-in. All their irons are push-in style. Also they sell no 30 gauge wire. Nor flux pens. Nor any THIN rosin core solder, only pure silver. I don't trust anyone to rebuild my legs, how can I trust myself without tools. Not to mention the fact that modifying a Wii is highly illegal and every electronics store in the country is obviously run by undercover agents. So how thin is your soldering tip. Legs on an IC are damn small. Am I supposed to press my wire down onto my stripped IC leg and apply heat then solder it or something, as if it's a soldering point. Shit's so small. Using the 15w Radio Shack iron, the tool this forum has STICKYed as the iron you need, you would heat up about 6 legs at once with that huge tip. Are you using telekinesis to heat up just the leg you want? Heat doesn't fry the IC during this dubious process? Clip on heatsink necessary? I can't believe anyone does this, the only person I've had explain this satisfactorily is the psx-scene dude who rebuilds the legs themselves...which is needlessly complex. Unless the transfer of heat is easiest this way? Seems it could be, flows to the flux. I have a deep understanding of this matter, I have a D2B cut leg missing pad Wii, and I own a genuine Wiikey in its original packaging. I also have tiny screwdrivers, some of them tri-wing. You'd better believe I'm not getting anywhere near a PCB on my Wii though, and neither is anyone else. Feds will either steal my shit or some TV repairman will drip solder all over my drive. When approaching computer repair shops with this job, how should I come in order to be correct. Will they try to arrest me or what. What level of armament should I carry. This is so insanely difficult to modify, these are the questions that plague me. People like the owner of OTBmods just mock me for their own edification when I inquire about getting my system modded, so I assume everyone in the business will as well and as such take a hostile attitude a priori when dealing with them. Also they are overpriced and bound to steal my Wii and/or soul.

7. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I used a radioshack 15w iron. Beats the hell out of the walmart 30w that broke after 30 minutes of use

8. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    yes, actually you can use the soldering iron to put some solder onto the things. you will melt a little bit of the black chip in the process but you will see the nubs have some solder on them after you're done.

I grinded one chip, but it was way too risky and also alot harder to solder!

rebuilding the legs is much easier (and faster)

9. obv

Newcomer obv Newbie

Australia
    you said it yourself right there... do yourself a huge favour.. save that money that you will spend on equipment and parts to solder the modchip yourself.

source out a good installer to do it for you! you may hear people claiming "i installed my own modchip in my wii and i am a soldering nubcake" - do not think the same "skills" (i call it dumb luck) will apply to you. you will avoid huge headaches finding an installer and you might even save your wii from going straight to the junkyard

the solder points are tiny and are definitely not noobie friendly

thats just my advice on things

10. helba

Newcomer helba Advanced Member

Canada
  11. pbskidz

Newcomer pbskidz Member

United States
    Alright thanks allot lenselijer, I wasn't sure if melting the plastic was such a good idea to make it a "nub" instead of just nothing. What size wire do you use? I have 30awg and the smallest tip that my local radio shack can offer which is just the standard pencil tip for a 15w iron. The is really nothing too risky with rebuilding the legs being that I used to do smd installs on RF boards, the only thing that bugs me is messing the D2B chip up. I mean if I eff up the rebuild, thats why they make desolder braid.