wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the deal. I'm getting ready to move and the place I'm moving to has a WPA internet connection. I've been looking at the original Xbox wireless adapter here

images

but noticed it only works for WEP sadly. I understand using an Ethernet cable is certainly possible but due to circumstances I don't think it will really be a viable option. Is there any other plausible method of connecting to the internet that anyone knows of? I'd like to be able to use XBMC but I may not be able to if I cannot get this resolved. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited by wiired24,

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Here's the deal. I'm getting ready to move and the place I'm moving to has a WPA internet connection. I've been looking at the original Xbox wireless adapter here

images

but noticed it only works for WEP sadly. I understand using an Ethernet cable is certainly possible but due to circumstances I don't think it will really be a viable option. Is there any other plausible method of connecting to the internet that anyone knows of? I'd like to be able to use XBMC but I may not be able to if I cannot get this resolved. Any help would be great. Thanks
Get one of those wifi repeaters and set it to access point then you can use then you can the lan port of it to connect your xbox with a lan cable to the wifi repeater .

Reactions: wiired24

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Back in the day there was a thing called a wireless bridge. They usually replaced a wire with a custom wireless setup. Don't go looking for one but if you look at older things then you might see it.
2) Ethernet over powerline. They work, many even come with wireless rebroadcaster options these days which is nice.
3) Some other repeater type device, including connecting it to a PC and then the PC/laptop onto wifi after sharing or bridging the connection.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Back in the day there was a thing called a wireless bridge. They usually replaced a wire with a custom wireless setup. Don't go looking for one but if you look at older things then you might see it.
2) Ethernet over powerline. They work, many even come with wireless rebroadcaster options these days which is nice.
3) Some other repeater type device, including connecting it to a PC and then the PC/laptop onto wifi after sharing or bridging the connection.

Thanks for the info, I've been looking into it and I've found that it's actually possible to bridge the wi-fi from a raspberry pi and share it with an ethernet device. I have a raspberry pi 3 with the built in wi-fi so this would be pretty easy for me. Would just have to edit some config files and such.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I had an older pi acting as a wifi access point once. Was a great little thing and as it was also a full computer at the same time it could do some pretty sweet things at the same time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol