Hacking Question regarding upgrading HD to 1TB

rspkers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I'm pretty much a total noob. So I have the latest rebug, multiman on my 120GB internal and everything is working marvelously. I want to upgrade to a 1TB internal drive. I've of course searched the forums regarding this, but so far there hasn't been any solid answers. Ironically, a thread I found also mentions also that there aren't any solid answers, figured it out, but didn't post what he did.

Is there a guide somewhere to upgrade your HD from your already JB PS3, what files I need, what steps I need to take? Here's a small sum list of questions.

1) If I'm upgrading my CFW, do I have to use the same CFW I had before, or can I use an upgraded version?
2) Is there a guide anywhere that covers in detail the process of installing a new HD on an already JB device?
3) What backups should I make to my original HD, (besides saves and stuff) in regards to firmware, etc?
4) In case there's bricking, is there any backups I can use to restore, and how do I do it?

Thanks guys.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Upgrade HDD will involve reinstalling firmware. Just prepare whatever firmware you are using right on USB flash drive.
2. Installing HDD is self explanatory. Nothing special about it for CFW user.
3. Use PS3 own backup feature to backup files to USB drive (note this can takes several hours). It won't backup any internal JB game so do that separately with multiman.
4. In unlikely hood of bricking, use NAND/NOR dump to restore using hardware flasher such as E3. Again you can make a dump using multiman.

rspkers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Upgrade HDD will involve reinstalling firmware. Just prepare whatever firmware you are using right on USB flash drive.
2. Installing HDD is self explanatory. Nothing special about it for CFW user.
3. Use PS3 own backup feature to backup files to USB drive (note this can takes several hours). It won't backup any internal JB game so do that separately with multiman.
4. In unlikely hood of bricking, use NAND/NOR dump to restore using hardware flasher such as E3. Again you can make a dump using multiman.

Thanks for the reply, when you say to use the PS3's own utility, does it backup everything I had beforehand like multiman, etc? Or do I need to reinstall multiman, and any other pkg files. If so, is there any reason you would use the PS3 backup utility?

So would the steps be as follows or am I missing anything?
0. Use PS3 Backup Utility
1. Swap HDD
2. Stick ANY newer CFW on FAT32 USB stick when it asks for new firmware into right USB slot
3. After firmware installed, install Multiman? or does the PS3 backup utility take care of everything including homebrew apps and it'll be like before just without games?

I have a NOR dump saved from multiman, are you saying I need an E3 flasher to use it? I actually don't own a flasher.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS3 backup utility will backup anything beside internal JB games. So any games that were ripped/copied from BD/USB to internal HDD is excluded from backup.

Multiman itself will be backup when using PS3 backup utility, but if you are going to take the opportunity to update CFW it is better to delete and reinstall Multiman after new HDD is in place.

Oh, and trophy cannot be backed up by any means. You have to sync trophy on PSN to keep it.

rspkers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. So is my method more or less correct, or did I leave any room for error? Also, I think I'll just use the CFW I currently have as it's not a big diff. I'm using REBUG 4.46.1 REX, and was thinking of sticking the LITE version on there, but there's probably no reason to and it'd be a smoother transition with the backup utility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass