Question regarding NDS-Lite Rom hardwares.

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by vi3t1uv, Nov 30, 2006.

Nov 30, 2006
  1. vi3t1uv
    OP

Newcomer vi3t1uv Newbie

United States
    I'm sorry if this question has been posted, because i try to search the forum but couldn't find any question similar to this, and I've read the FAQ but still not quite clear about it. My question are:
    1. As the FAQ stated, in order to be able to play ROM on NDSL these are the things that required: Passcard, M3 (which is SD), and Superkey.
    2. I know the purpose of Passcard, M3 but what about the Superkey???
    3. If I flash the firmware, then i will no longer need the passcard, do i still need the Superkey or i all i need is the M3 (SD) in order to be able to play both NDS and/or GBA ROM?
    4. What sofware i would need to load ROM files from the computer to M3?
    Any input, advice would be appreciate. I'm new here and not really familiar with these thing. Again sorry for the noob questions. Thank you!

2. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Just so you know, you need either Passcard OR superkey, they serve essentially the same purpose.

If you had FlashMe (the firmware you spoke of) then you wouldnt need the passcard.

Software to load roms onto the M3? the product website has the latest game manager versions.

If you're still unclear about anything, just let us know, we're here to help [​IMG]

3. vi3t1uv
    OP

Newcomer vi3t1uv Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the input. Now you said passcard OR superkey because they're serve the same purpose, that mean i only need to get either passcard or superkey but not both, right?
    And which of the two would you recommend??

And as you said that if i flash the firmware the i will no longer need the passcard OR superkey, right??? But i would need them in order to flash the firmware, is that true?

And What types of those or any particular brand and vendors would you prefer? Thank you for your time to help me [​IMG]

4. vi3t1uv
    OP

Newcomer vi3t1uv Newbie

United States
    Any advice????

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Ultra quick crash course in DS "homebrew":

flash carts:
    Flash carts is the name given to carts that usually contained flash memory but nowadays tend to have either CF, SD, miniSD or microSD slots in them too. There are many sorts with no clear cut leader (quality wise) as far as DS stuff is concerned, read the various reviews around here and check their support forums for a feature list and issues of the day.
    As far as the GBA and DS are concerned there are GBA slot carts (m3, EZ, G6, SC, neoflash........) and DS slot carts (DSX,acekard, some neoflash products, ninja (careful when looking at different ninja branded cards) and a couple more).
    DS slot stuff is new and still in very early days and completely lacks GBA game support, GBA slot stuff is older and sometimes a bit more complex (although it is really just a matter of not being a complete idiot to get them working) and also tends to support GBA roms to varying degrees (some cheap models of various carts forgo extensive GBA support).
    My personally opinion is get a GBA slot cart now and wait for DS slot to settle down and become good.

Pass devices, only necessary for GBA slot carts.

First came the passme1, you plugged a game in the back (some had one built in) and it loaded DS code from your GBA slot cart.

passme2: owing to the passme1 being blocked in a later firmware version these are a more complex take on the passme1.

nopass: DS cart encryption was cracked and nopass devices were the result. Made by all the major GBA cart makers and a few others these are DS cart sized devices that allow you to run DS code from the GBA slot. Check the reviews around these parts to see if your chosen cart is compatible.

Flashme/firmware mods.
    The most popular is flashme although there are two others (FWNitro and a prototype one available from the flashme site.
    Flashme is a firmware modification that allows you to run DS code without a pass device or tweaked wifi card (you also can rid yourself of the boot screen and protectect yourself against the extremely rare malware), the problem: you need to be able to run DS code in the first place to perform it.
    Guide to flashme:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33481

6. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Superkey is a slot1 cart (ie DS cart) that allows you to boot NDS code from slot2, which is usually only able to boot up GBA code.
    Flashme does the same thing when installed - rewrites the firmware to allow this to happen without the need for extra hardware.
    If you want my two cents... Get a superkey. You don't need to flash the firmware then (thus avoiding invalidating your warranty). Just leave this little beauty stuck in slot1, stick your M3 in slot 2, and away you go!
    Alternatively you could borrow a superkey/passcard from a friend - install flashme - give the superkey/passcard back.

If you end up having to buy a superkey, then you may as well use it, rather than flash your DS in my opinion.

7. AznKenshin

Newcomer AznKenshin Member

United States
    You need 4 things:

1. A Passcard (ex. Passcard 3)
    2. A Flashcart (ex. M3 Lite)
    3. Memory Card (ex. SanDisk 1GB microSD)
    4. Memory Card Reader (ex. Any generic microSD reader)

8. vi3t1uv
    OP

Newcomer vi3t1uv Newbie

United States
    Thanks people for the informative inputs. And my last question is as i saw many place sale the M3 Lite for $70-$80, is that come with the memory card (SD) or I have to purchase the SD separately? Thank you, and you guys have a great day.

9. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    you purchase seperately.