Question: Post A9LH Setup - What parts need updating? What is needed on the device?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by atlboyz_247, Nov 9, 2016.

1. atlboyz_247
    OP

atlboyz_247 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2008
    United States
    What needs maintenance after A9LH is installed? I installed my A9LH setup during the peak of its popularity during the days of its first iteration. I realize now that there is a later version of the hack, but overall I'm not sure where to refer to in order to keep updated.

I believe there has been a change from using Decrypt9 to Hourglass9 due to people selecting the wrong restore NAND backup option during the "A9LH setup process" and "post setup usage" where A9LH is not maintained, but after encountering these posts, I haven't been able to find an outlet to keep me updated on what homebrew, software, and hacks need to be updated (outside of LumaUpdater, that maintains itself).

TL:DR I'd like to know what I need to do to keep updated with an A9LH setup and where to refer to for the most basic apps used.

Last edited by atlboyz_247, Nov 9, 2016
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You don't need to update a9lh, unless you want the SD-less version. In which case follow the "updating arm9loaderhax" section with the right files. If you want Hourglass9, just add its bin to luma/payloads and rename to up_hourglass9.bin (or something that doesn't conflict with a button you have already set). If you don't want Decrypt9 you can delete its bin (easy enough to add back if you change your mind).

3. atlboyz_247
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2008
    United States
    I see for that particular homebrew (that doesn't mean Decrypt9 is useless for A9LH folk does it?). Are there any benefits to updates for other the standard homebrew we kept from A9LH installation? Like FBI, the "starter" kit, or any of the other apps? Any new ones like Hourglass9 was to Decrypt9?

Last edited by atlboyz_247, Nov 9, 2016
  4. trinhno

trinhno GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2015
    Senegal
    Hourglass9 is the safe for noobs version of Decrypt9 as it always restore and keep A9LH so they don't uninstall it by accident. Also many unnecessary features were taken out. It doesn't mean Decrypt9 is useless or out-dated, just not suitable for most folk.

The other homebrew apps, just update if you need the new features, otherwise if it's working fine for you, there's little need. Unless you're OCD, of course.

5. atlboyz_247
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2008
    United States
    Awesome, yeah, I don't touch my 3DS too often, so when I picked it back up I thought there had to have been something new that I missed, but glad to know it wasn't much.

6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You may want a newer FBI - the newest had a bunch of good features like installing from QR code, browsing and installing homebrew from a database, and other stuff.
    If you don't have freeShop you should probably get it.
    That's really about it :-)