Question - Possibility to have a multiple memory card cartridge adapter

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by MManatane, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MManatane
    OP

MManatane Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    France
    Hello,
    I was wondering if it were possible to have a cartridge adapter for two micro sd card ? Technically speaking and software (cfw) side ?
    In PSP years such kind of adapter was existing for memory stick duo :

Attached Files:

Last edited by MManatane, Aug 7, 2018
  2. Azmort

Azmort GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2015
    Mexico
    Short answer: No.

3. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dgr1592, SuzieJoeBob, Milenko and 2 others like this.
  4. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    Longer answer:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooiiooooooooooooooiiiiioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooiooooioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooiiooooooooooooooiiiiioooooooooooooooooo

5. MManatane
    OP

MManatane Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    France
    Thanks for this detailled answers, it's always a pleasure to have feedbacks from experts :-)

aut0mat3d, dgr1592, c80 and 2 others like this.
  6. PonyStation4

PonyStation4 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    The Switch uses MicroSD cards, what smaller cards would you use a MicroSD adapter? I was unaware they existed for the consumer.

At best we'll see support for USB C flash drives that allow extra MicroSD's at the bottom of the Switch. They'll add some bulk though

7. silvershadow

silvershadow GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2006
    Canada
    I think PS Vita has something? is it not a microSD card adapter in the form of a Vita cartridge? (i never looked into it, i just assumed that's what it was)

maybe once enough time passes, there will be a dual microSD adapter that can be read from the Switch cartridge slot?

8. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    Vita has SD2Vita which goes into the Vita cartridge slot that let's you use MicroSD instead of Sony's overpriced memory cards. It'd be awesome if they made a SD2Switch device so we could run dual MicroSD cards :)

9. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Why not just buy a larger SD? SD2Vita exists only because the vita uses overpriced proprietary memory cards.

10. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I couldn't help myself to give a funny answer. I don't think they make a dual micro sd adaptor and if they did i would assume you would need some kind of raid controller in the switch so it would see it as one physical device.

Sd cards are getting cheap, i got my 400gb for $115 shipped for a sandisk

11. silvershadow

silvershadow GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2006
    Canada
    for the "collectors" i think 400gb microSD is not large enough for the full switch catalog, not to mention future games, and emulation.

SD card in normal slot + "SD2Switch" would allow 400GB+400GB+400GB all internal.

in internal mod chip would be cool too :D.

perhaps when loading from USB is supported, we can connect something (microSD adapter) to the usb internally (but yet still allows docking/charging)

12. MManatane
    OP

MManatane Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    France
    And maybe it can allow to make so hot swapping with the cartridge sd card...

13. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    That be something like gateway

14. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States

Price of larger cards doesn't always make sense....2 256GB cards would be less than $200 and give you 512GB and a single 400GB card is roughly $200 by itself. You would get more storage...512GB cards are $350 at B&H Photo-Video-Audio (only place I could find a 512GB card). Also, some people may not realize how much storage they need. So they may get a 128GB card thinking it'll be enough storage for awhile, only to realize how fast 128GB gets filled up (I was one of those...)

15. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Addict

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    There's a similar thread here with similarly unhelpful responses. I don't actually see any reason it wouldn't be possible, with custom firmware, though weather anybody would be inclined to make one is a different story altogether. Without CFW it's certainly not possible.

16. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    I'm on the 128 wagon, would definitely go for 256 next time around. I will prob get a 256 for permanent games and use my 128 for swapouts

17. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    unless someone make an adapter that sticks out from the microSD slot using a ribbon and it ends with adapter with 2 microSD slots, i don't think there other way then that.
    unless you mean another adapter in the game card.

18. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    better yet would be usb hdd loading for docked play

19. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Actually this is possible. You have to replace the daughter board with the slot with a passive adapter. The Switch talks to the gamecart ASIC over SDIO which is basically exactly what SD cards use.

MManatane likes this.