ROM Hack Question of a newbie

NDSno1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if this related to ROM hacking, but don't ban me or delete this topic, please move it to someplace else that related.
I want to learn about hacking ROM for DS, Wii and 3DS, then what programing language I have to learn? C, C++, Java, ... ? Not only that, maybe hacking other console, too, like PS3, Xbox360, PSP. So which language these console use in common?

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You don't have to learn a language for ROM hacking, but you need to know Japanese if you want to translate.

If you want to develop your own games, then you need to know C/C++ and some ASM.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
You don't have to learn a language for ROM hacking, but you need to know Japanese if you want to translate.

If you want to develop your own games, then you need to know C/C++ and some ASM.
He said programming language, so C++ etc.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gifi4 said:
Evo.lve said:

But you DON'T need to learn a language for ROM hacking, aside from translating Japanese.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
gifi4 said:
Evo.lve said:

But you DON'T need to learn a language for ROM hacking, aside from translating Japanese.
I know but that's not what he was asking, or atleast it seemed to me that he was asking about the programming language...

NDSno1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually I want to ask about programming language, like C++, Java, C, blah blah. And I want to ask which one I have to learn to hack ROM for DS and 3DS, and other console, too.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NDSno1 said:
I want to learn about hacking ROM for DS, Wii and 3DS, then what programing language I have to learn? C, C++, Java, ... ? Not only that, maybe hacking other console, too, like PS3, Xbox360, PSP. So which language these console use in common?

Learn to hack rom and learn programming language are totally different things.

You can learn to hack rom without knowing any programming language.

And you can learn any language if you want to create your own programs to help make rom hacking easier.

Ex. If you can open a game rom in hex editor, type something to replace some text and make it appear properly when you play it, that's rom hacking in a very basic level. You can use a hex editor to type your translation for the whole game. That's still rom hacking.

Then, if you feel like it's too much pain to type in hex editor and want to make a text extractor/inserter for yourself. Then you find a programming language that you think you can learn, and learn how to write some scripts to make hacking easier.

P.S. It's just my opinion, though.
happy.gif

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NDSno1 said:
Actually I want to ask about programming language, like C++, Java, C, blah blah. And I want to ask which one I have to learn to hack ROM for DS and 3DS, and other console, too.

It's already been stated that you DON'T need to learn any language to hack ROMs.

EDIT: You will also never be able to hack 3DS games, for two reasons
1. No 3D hexeditor exists, and probably will never exist
2. THE 3DS HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED, LET ALONE HACKED, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ASKING HOW TO HACK 3DS ROMS

See how annoying it is when all this BBCode comes into play?

Yeah.

EDIT2: Stupid double posts.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If we can get a ROM of a 3DS game, we can hex edit it.

That said, directly translating the text of a game will only involve hex editing and file replacement skills and such, but for translating an RPG you're going to want to make tools to export and import text, so C++ there (or Java), and you're most likely going to need to change some routines related to drawing the text (often to overcome character amount limits), so some ARM ASM as well.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Evo.lve said:
It's already been stated that you DON'T need to learn any language to hack ROMs.

EDIT: You will also never be able to hack 3DS games, for two reasons
2. THE 3DS HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED, LET ALONE HACKED, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ASKING HOW TO HACK 3DS ROMS

See how annoying it is when all this BBCode comes into play?

Yeah.

EDIT2: Stupid double posts.
QUOTE(NDSno1 @ Jan 12 2011, 10:56 AM) I don't know if this related to ROM hacking, but don't ban me or delete this topic, please move it to someplace else that related.
NO, it's not just the 3ds he wants to hack. do not discourage him and don't make it sound as if he only wants to hack the 3DS.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ASM and C/C++

When you say hack roms, then you need to be a bit more precise.
What exactly does "rom hacking" entail?

If you want to get a rom dump and remove AP, you need Assembler, Hex Editor, and maybe C++ knowledge.

To hack a super mario rom to edit levels, you need to know fuck all, and just download a rom editor that acomplishes that.

If you want to be thorough, you learn game development. That way, you gain an understanding how games come to life, what goes into them, and you can gain valuable knowledge in reverse engineering.

It helps to understand how games are structured, how their mechanics work, and how the code acomplishes just what it acomplishes. Because then, modifying ("hackin") things becomes much easier.

The same way you see the top hackers and software crackers getting hired in the software security industry, you need to try and put some sort of goal together. What is the ultimate purpose of your doing?

in my opinion, learn C++ and debug your own code using Assemlers from day ONE. Use assemblers to understand how your own code works, in order to come to native terms with assembler language. Idealy you want to look at the assembler, and read it like a page of (human readable) code, and understand what is happening.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As you really haven't stated what your definition of ROM hacking is, I'm assuming it's the default one, translating and level editing.

For these two, you don't need to know shit, you can download a ROM editor/hex editor to accomplish the end result.

If you want to hack games to remove AP, which is really pointless now seeing as all good carts have bypass AP, then C++ and a bit of ASM.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Evo.lve said:
lol? I imagine myself wearing 3D glasses to see the hex code.

I suppose a normal hex editor will be able to handle a 3DS game, after all, it's just data

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread has a bunch of damn trolling in it.

Evo.lve, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't post.
He didn't ask to be attacked.

For the OP, you don't need to know programming to romhack, but if you want to make your own tools for games you wish to romhack, then you'll either need to learn programming or ask someone to make a tool for you. A lot of romhackers use C# and C++, so maybe start with C# since it's the easiest with the C language. if the game has a complicated font or something too complicated, then you may need to know ASM.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
while were at it, i just want to ask. is learning how to hack roms time-consuming and should be given focus? i want to contribute something to the ds-scene but i'm currently taking classes about VB.Net, C# and ASP.Net. i don't want to engage into something that i cannot handle. or is it better if i finish the semester first, and wait for summer vacation?

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
game01 said:
while were at it, i just want to ask. is learning how to hack roms time-consuming and should be given focus? i want to contribute something to the ds-scene but i'm currently taking classes about VB.Net, C# and ASP.Net. i don't want to engage into something that i cannot handle. or is it better if i finish the semester first, and wait for summer vacation?

Romhacking, programming and learning Japanese all take a while to learn.
Romhacking took me seven months, I'm still learning new file formats.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Romhacking, programming and learning Japanese all take a while to learn.
Romhacking took me seven months, I'm still learning new file formats.
ahh, well, i'll just focus on me studies first. if i don't i won't have a good job by the end of the year or next year.

thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What the heck is that emote SylverReZ using?