[Question] MSET for new3DS not working anymore, what to do?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Traiver, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    I turned my n3DS XL on today and went to settings to start mset. But its not working and I'm confused...

My console:

new3DS XL MH4U Edition 9.2.0
    Gateway 3DS 3.4.1 16GB
    NTR CFW 3.0 w/ cheat plugins
    MSET 4.5 boot
    Pasta CFW
    16GB micro sd card intern

What can I do to fix this fast?

Thanks in advance.

XRaidersP likes this.

2. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    Maybe try to reinstall the exploit?

3. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Is there a faster method like a .cia file for it?

XRaidersP likes this.
  4. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    I don't think so, I think you need to run Rxinstaller.bin with a NDS flashcard.

5. jaksy

jaksy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    The mset exploit will blank itself every time you launch dsiware or a ds cart, and sometimes seemingly randomly, so it's recommended to have another method of booting into your CFW like themehax.
    You can run the rxinstaller from an .nds file on a ds flashcart as was mentioned, or if you have another method of booting into your CFW like theme/menuhax you can simply boot in and run FBI, using the select button option to reinstall another mset rop link in your ds profile.

6. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    I have done that with Cubic Ninja, it was loading FBI on Ninjax and I installed MSET, then I rebooted the 3DS. I went to settings again and now there is a error message with turning off my console.

XRaidersP likes this.
  7. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Are you installing the correct version of the mset link? As in 4.x for the 4.x mset or 6.x for a 6.x mset?
    I use FBI all the time to restore my 6.x rxtools link to mset.

8. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Yes, its the correct version. Do I install it in NAND Mode or SD Mode with FBI?

XRaidersP likes this.
  9. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Hm, I don't think it matters if you have NAND or SD mode selected as the install mset is another option entirely, but I could be wrong and the install might actually be linked to a location based on that setting.
    You are installing this from fbi running in the homebrewmenu launcher?
    I've only used the FBI mset installer option in emunand and elevated sysnand to install the link, so that could be the difference.
    rxinstaller.nds from a flashcart seems to work fine no matter where I launch the cart from, but this is less convenient than using FBI.

Last edited by jaksy, Nov 11, 2015
  10. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    And I know why its not working anymore.. I tested my DSTWO NDS flashcard before.. Can you link me to a tut or help me quick to fix this?

XRaidersP likes this.
  11. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    What do you need help with exactly?
    If the link was broken from you running your dstwo cart you just need to run something to relink it, you don't need to go through the entire mset setup process again, it still should be downgraded.

If you need the rxtools.nds file to relink it:
    You can download this and put \release\mset\rxinstaller.nds file on your flashcart somewhere and run it to relink it.
    After it runs the link it should kick you out to the home menu, but your mset profile should be relinked now.

It will still reblank seemingly randomly and when you run ds games/dsiware, but you can just rerun that .nds to relink it.

12. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Must I put it on my DSTWO flashcard?

XRaidersP likes this.
  13. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Yes.. or an r4i-sdhc or an acekard or whatever you have. You just need a dsmode flashcard to run the .nds file.

14. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Okay I have done that. There are few options now: 4.x rxTools, 4.x DG rxTools, 4.x NDG rxtools and the same with ropcustom.txt. Whats the right one?

XRaidersP likes this.
  15. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    You said you use a gateway in the first post, so you need the gw_installer.nds and not the rxtools one. .:/

Traiver likes this.
  16. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    I'm starting to think you don't even understand what you're doing at all.
    You should be installing the mset link corresponding to the mset downgraded version you are at (6.x if 6.x 4.x if 4.x), just as FBI gave you options for different ROP mset links to install if you toggled left or right on the dpad, this tool is giving you choices on which link to install.
    If you have rxtools CFW setup and wish to reinstall a rxtools cfw mset link then you would install the corresponding x.x link.
    ropcustom.txt is a text file that can be edited to setup other mset rop links that you might need if you don't have rxtoolscfw. A guide for this is on the github page.

edit:
    -##Custom rop
    -To install a rop for a custom file, put ropCustom.txt in the root of the sdcard. The first line inside the file will be used as the custom dat filename.
    -The custom filename is limited to 12 characters.
    -See example/ropCustom.txt for an example.

17. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Its working now, thank you for letting me know. I only installed the gw_installer.nds again from my DSTWO. Thanks, the exploit is linked again :)

XRaidersP likes this.
  18. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    Well I'm sorry I couldn't have been of any help. I did walk you through two valid methods of mset rop installation if you ever need options though.

19. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    You can help me with my O3DS XL SSB Edition. I bought it last week with firmware 8.1. I need to install mset there. Is it the same way as you said before?

XRaidersP likes this.
  20. jaksy

Jun 10, 2014
    United States
    No. You'd need a CFW installed before you can link to a CFW with an mset link, and for that matter you need to make sure the mset is at a linkable version or see if it needs to be downgraded.
    I mean this tutorial covers it all and then some, but it's a bit of a cluster.