[Question] Is it possible to turn ds flashcarts into 3ds flashcarts with cfw?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SimplyFedorable, Jun 18, 2016.

1. SimplyFedorable
    OP

SimplyFedorable Evangelion Geek

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    DISCLAIMER: this is purely hypothetical. I don't expect anyone to actually make this happen. Take this thread as more of "is this even possible" question then a "please code this for me" question.

Hello! This idea has been floating around in my head for awhile, and I would like to ask about it. The question is is it possible to turn old ds flasharts (which are about 5-10 bucks these days) into 3ds flashcarts with cfw. I got this idea from gateway, as their product is really just cfw that needs the gateway card to boot. The gateway cart is basically just a ds flashcart with a special kernal, right? So, then it should be possible to covert a ds flashcart into a 3ds one by creating a modified kernal and edit a cfw (luma, probably) to accept the flashcart. The advantages of this would be direct rips of cartridges, being able to install fbi without screwing with the h & s app, drag and drop games, and easy sd card size upgrades.

2. kristiansja

kristiansja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2016
    Norway
    no, ds flashcarts are ment to run ds roms.

3. Lia

Lia is this the real life

Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    caught in a landslide
    But that's like asking if you can put an n64 cartridge into an xbox and asking it to play xbox games o_o

Last edited by Lia, Jun 18, 2016
    XRaTiX, LinkmstrYT, Tony_93 and 6 others like this.
  4. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    wow. we r fucked.

XRaTiX and lexluth0r like this.
  5. kristiansja

kristiansja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2016
    Norway
    ye, its just stupid and darwin award worthy

6. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    You can use Gateway and Sky3DS+ to run both NDS/3DS roms :)

7. Lia

Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    caught in a landslide
    Correction

8. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    This is like that other thread "can ey cunvirt muh $3 bargen bin gaym 2 cub1c ninju?"

9. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    This is a real stretch of the imagination, but you *could run a ds flashcard as a pseudo 3ds flashcard via ntrcardhax. (*if a flasher is even written)

Ryccardo likes this.
  10. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Rawr

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    This question reminds me a lot of one I got asked years ago, and cite here for posterity:

"I bought Madden NFL in the Xbox 360 version because it was cheaper. Why doesn't it work in my PS3? It's the same game, right?"

Kirtai, XRaTiX, DrkBeam and 4 others like this.
  11. SimplyFedorable
    OP

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    I was more thinking about modifying a ds flashcart, not putting 3ds games on to a ds flashcart and expect it to work, I'm not that stupid :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

please read the post before responding! sorry for the title not being clear:yay3ds:

12. Lia

Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    caught in a landslide
    I knew what you meant, lemme rephrase my statement.

(I'm kidding btw)

chaoskagami likes this.
  13. SimplyFedorable
    OP

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    It's ok, should have made the title of this post "is it possible to MODIFY ds flash carts"

Lia likes this.
  14. Lia

Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    caught in a landslide
    Simply put the insides of a gateway card inside a ds cartridge

Hey, it works xP

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Quantumcat likes this.
  15. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Rawr

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Even with a flashcart on a user-flashable FPGA that would be dodgy. I'm inclined to say 'No' period. No amount of soldering will turn a DS card into a 3DS card, at very least.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jun 18, 2016
  16. SimplyFedorable
    OP

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    ok, I was just wondering if it was possible:P wasn't really expecting it to be possible. but damn it would be beautiful. Thank you!

Lia likes this.
  17. SimplyFedorable
    OP

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    actually though, is probably possible to make an modified kernal/cfw for the dstwo carts, as they have on board cpu's. I don't know how powerful the cpu's are (the plus model is more powerful) bit they may be able to emulate a real cartridge, with the cfw doing the patches. Now that would be awesome.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

achaully, really any gateway clone may work. If a cart can pass as a gateway (not sure how any of the other clones did it besides the dstwo plus, but I know the dstwo emulated a gateway), then it can probably pass as a real cartridge (with the help of cfw, of course)

18. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    If the DSTWO was able to do that with a modified kernel + patches alone alone, Supercard team would have done that instead of making the DSTWO+...

Quantumcat likes this.
  19. SimplyFedorable
    OP

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    what my point is is that if it can be used as a gateway, I see no reason why they can't be used as stand alone 3ds flashcart, with a modified kernal and cfw that can use the modified dstwo. The reason why supercard did what supercard did was probably because they didn't want to make their own launcher and cfw (gateway is just a cfw with a flashcart).They couldn't just make a modified cfw either, as cfw was not nearly as good as it is now when the dstwo+ was made, and gateways were far superior. Supercard probably saw using the gateway launcher as the easiest way to make a 3ds flashcart. Would have worked great too for supercard, if it wasn't for that pesky brick code :3

20. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    yea you can just put theese files into your root it comes with xbox 4U im using snail mail just wait