[Question] Is it possible to apply cheats to a GBA CIA file?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Blinksidex, May 14, 2016.

1. Blinksidex
    OP

Blinksidex Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2016
    United States
    Hey so I am on A9LH / Luma3DS and was wondering if it was possible to apply AR codes or any codes on a GBA CIA VC file.

EDIT: The game I want to try and mess around with is Chain of Memories.

Last edited by Blinksidex, May 14, 2016
  2. SANNIC789

SANNIC789 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    you can by editing the rom file with a emulator to make it load the cheat evry time and then put it back in the install cia but other than that no

3. Blinksidex
    OP

Blinksidex Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2016
    United States
    Hmm, can I edit the save through an emulator on PC? I found the save file (assuming SD://Nintendo 3DS/ID0/ID1/title/[TitleID]/[UniqueID]/data/ the one from here is the correct one) but the emulator will not load it.

Last edited by Blinksidex, May 14, 2016
  4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    any SD files are encrypted, also iirc GBA VC titles are saves to the 3DS nand, not the SD card, i think there was a tool to extract the GBA saves but i dont remember the name, there is also the option of rebuilding your game and injecting a trainer with the cheats, this will allow you to toggle cheats and have more options for things such as infinite lives etc which generally wouldn't be possible with save editing

you can check the tool for making trainers here
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-auto-trainer-maker-gbaatm.99334/

Ryccardo likes this.