[Question] is FTP speed bassed on your actual internet speed?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by ScarletDreamz, Sep 2, 2016.

1. ScarletDreamz
    OP

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    So, here at home, i got a 5mb/s, that would be around 600kbs for download, so i use FlashFXP since like it came out, and every time i transfer an item to X device, the speed seems to be linked somehow to the internet speed.

Is the FTP transfer speed based/linked to the network speed? if i create a AD HOC network between the 2 devices, would the FTP be faster?

I also remember using a crossover cable, and the speed was about 1mb, i tough that the ftp speed supposed to be WAY faster.

2. Essometer

Essometer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Enger
    File you transfer over FTP in your local LAN network have nothing to do with your internet connection. The speed you get over ftp are dependent on the devices (CPU, Storage Medium Speed, connection speed)
    and your LAN infrastructure like router and switches. The files in transmission never leave your local LAN, so your internet speed is of no concern. As for speed improvements, just experiment.
    AD HOC could make a small difference, but only if your router or switch is a bottleneck in your network.

The FTP protocol can also be used to download or upload file to or from the internet, in which case your internet speed would matter.

3. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Depending on the way you do it it could be your Router making problems or maybe you used a very old Cable or whatever XD