Hacking [Question] I need a clear understanding of how to play roms online

Gus122000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been out of gbatemp for a while, but from my understanding to connect online you need to personally dump identical copies of a game you want to get some sort of code? Did I misunderstand that or has it changed?

I searched this up on gbatemp but had a hard time understanding how it works? Can someone explain it to me in layman's terms? I really want to be able to play my roms online without having the chance of having a friend's copy banned.

Sorox

Master Firo Soul
Trophies
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Each individual game cart, regardless of what the actual game is, has a header.
This header, for lack of a better understanding, allows you to go online.
Scene (pirated) releases do not have this
Your own dumped games do.
It's possible, (using previously mentioned thread in previous post), to replace a scene release's non-existent header with one ripped from your own/someone else's game
This hasn't banned anyone as of yet
Doesnt mean it wont
But as for right now
its safe

Gus122000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This tool lets you import and export headers. It will also fix any compatibility issues so you don't have to mess with any editing. Have used my personal header for 3 different roms using it. http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=13353
Gateway ROM Patcher v1.0 (by PsyKo)
from http://scene.releases.free.fr/index.php?page=tools
http://scene.releases.free.fr/tools/download.php?dl=GRP_v1.0
------------
+ Changelog
------------

v1.0
- Top part of the GUI is now readonly. Manual edit of cart/chip IDs is now in a dedicated section.
- Some public cartridge IDs can be called in app. But again, use them at your own risks.
- Chip ID generator is back. As usual manufacturer can't be guessed so Macronix code will be set by default.
- Automatic ROM backup checkbox has been removed, you're directly working on the original file now.
- Time has been added in logs and more steps are now detailed.

v0.7
- The chip ID autofix is now splitted in two operations: media type fix and chip size fix.
- game serial size fixed
- many wordings changed

------------
+ Thanks to
------------
3Dbrew, Gbatemp community, all people who shared their public IDs.

Reactions: VerseHell and Ryft

Gus122000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway ROM Patcher v1.0 (by PsyKo)
from http://scene.releases.free.fr/index.php?page=tools
http://scene.releases.free.fr/tools/download.php?dl=GRP_v1.0
------------
+ Changelog
------------

v1.0
- Top part of the GUI is now readonly. Manual edit of cart/chip IDs is now in a dedicated section.
- Some public cartridge IDs can be called in app. But again, use them at your own risks.
- Chip ID generator is back. As usual manufacturer can't be guessed so Macronix code will be set by default.
- Automatic ROM backup checkbox has been removed, you're directly working on the original file now.
- Time has been added in logs and more steps are now detailed.

v0.7
- The chip ID autofix is now splitted in two operations: media type fix and chip size fix.
- game serial size fixed
- many wordings changed

------------
+ Thanks to
------------
3Dbrew, Gbatemp community, all people who shared their public IDs.

Alright, I tried using v1.0 with a scene release of mario kart 7. I click the public header button, I used the auto detect and I changed the file to 3DZ (and also downloaded the 1.1 Mario Kart 7 patch from the e-shop.) and it keeps giving me the error that I can not go online with this game cartridge. What could be the problem?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Alright, I tried using v1.0 with a scene release of mario kart 7. I click the public header button, I used the auto detect and I changed the file to 3DZ (and also downloaded the 1.1 Mario Kart 7 patch from the e-shop.) and it keeps giving me the error that I can not go online with this game cartridge. What could be the problem?
if the header was inserted and you renamed it to .3dz the only other thing is that the chip manufacturer is wrong, thats the only bit of the header that cant be figured out automatically.......just try changing the manufacturer in gateway rom patcher until it works (there's only like 3 different options)

Gus122000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if the header was inserted and you renamed it to .3dz the only other thing is that the chip manufacturer is wrong, thats the only bit of the header that cant be figured out automatically.......just try changing the manufacturer in gateway rom patcher until it works (there's only like 3 different options)
Any chance I could get your skype and ask you a couple questions? So I don't clutter forums with troubleshooting posts. I tried switching the 3 different options and still keep getting the same results.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
right anyways :blink:

just make sure you followed the tutorial exactly, maybe try a different header and auto patch it....there is very little room for error with

Gus122000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried everything, had an entire discussion with gamequest via PM and I still can't figure it out. Are there certain requirements for the headers ? Anything note worthy, any requirements that could easily make it unable for you to play roms online?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you weren't too busy spouting memes you would had read the thread and had realized nobody was asking for roms.

Well, the title is misleading but as you said read the entire thread. I almost jumped on here and was ready to let you know as well but it turns out you are trying to get roms to PLAY online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Yes.