Question I have to better proceed with A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gkoelho, Mar 10, 2016.

1. gkoelho
    OP

gkoelho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
    I finishing the OTP thing from the great new tutorial. and going to setting up a9lh, have a few question about emuNAND and A9LH in general:

1 - I'm doing it on my stantard 4gb SD card, how do I change it to another one after it is done?

2 - Some people boot into sysnand and others still boot into emunand even this tutorial saying you will not need emunad anymore, so what is the matter? -> https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax)

3 - Almost same as above, keep or dont keep sysnand on low version after a9lh??

4 - tutorial also uses cakesFW, any reason I should favor other cfw???

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Nothing is really the "matter" so much, some of us just prefer to keep the safety net of emuNAND even with the added protection of A9LH. There are two conveniences that sysNAND CFW offers over emuNAND, that I can think of:

1. No more double GBA/DSiware installs
    2. No need to return to sysNAND to save GBA game saves afterward, since you're, well, already in sysNAND.

But in my own opinion, those don't justify getting rid of the extra protection of emuNAND yet. If you've wanted CFW on sysNAND since the first day CFWs came out, then don't let that stop you, ARN and Cakes both offer safe sysNAND CFWs now (but with Cakes, make sure to enable FIRM protection, it's not on by default!!).

3. razer86

razer86 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2016
    1 - https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/
    2 - I personally still use EmuNand with A9LH. I feel safer with it. At least with emunand, i know i can do system updates without worrying about loosing A9LH (so long as the CFW supports the new firmware)
    3 - If you use Sysnand with A9LH you will have faster boot times (few seconds), and you will have latest firmware with CFW features. That being said, if something goes wrong (albeit small chance, limited situations) and you loose A9LH, your options are limited on getting it back
    4 - I had the same question, and it appears its personal preference when its comes to CFW, just make sure your chosen one supports A9LH

4. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    I don't play GBA games so I have no reason to use sysnand.

On my kids system they use an updated emunand with the sysnand on 9.2. I do not have any cia installers on their emunand so there is no way they can break anything.

To install games on their system I boot into gateway emunand from 9.2 sysnand and use a .3ds version of BBM. This isn't done very often so it's really not much of a hassle.

5. gkoelho
    OP

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
  6. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    1- Just make a normal transfer. a9lh lives in the system nand. Get your backups pre and post a9lh somewhere safe. Keep in mind emunand is in a partition on the SD.
    2,3- As long as you have one of the two on 9.2, it's all fine. Probably you already have your sysnand on 9.2, so for convenience I would use emunand. This is because your pc can make and restore backups of the emunand very easily. the 9.2 is for having a secondary kernel access. just in case.
    4- There is no real reason to favor one cfw over another. Reinand and Cakes are very lightweight cfws. Do what you feel best.

7. gkoelho
    OP

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
    And before? I actually did not did everything cause of storage problems in my SD(its becoming full). I used the one that came with the 3ds, a 4gb one that actually only stores 2.8gb lol

I dideverything on step 4 and am about to start part 5 what is setting up A9LH. on this guide => https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax)

Its really late here and was thinking on go sleep and buy a new and good SD tomorrow, is it possible? Can i change then and finish? or should i keep using my sd somehow until the end? (i guess i can delete and copy files as needed)

8. razer86

razer86 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2016
    Not sure if the emunandtool is working or not, but i recently used that guide to move from a 16gb to a 64gb without an issue