Hacking [QUESTION] How to rescue a 3DS with accidentally deleted system files?

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi everyone.

I'm not a noob, but I seriously can't get to understand how to (if it's even possible) to restore a 3DS with erased System Files via FBI.

The 3DS isn't mine, someone is asking me for help. He said he deleted some system files via entering CTR NAND option in FBI.

How was the 3DS working when this person asked me for help:

- Luma's config started when holding SELECT on startup, and Luma's chainload menu loads when holding START.

- If not holding anything, it entered to an endless black / blank screen.

I just thought. Oh, well. A 9.2 CTRTransfer should help! I was wrong:

After the CTRTransfer:

- The same as above. Only difference is it gets to this screen, insted of a fully blank black screen:

error.jpg

Could anyone address me in the right direction for correcting this issue?

My acquaintance don't remember exactly what files did he delete.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone.

Could anyone address me in the right direction for correcting this issue?

My acquaintance don't remember exactly what files did he delete.

What did you use for the CTRNAND transfer? Try to use Decrypt9 if you didn't before Godmode doesn't restore the same way. You could also try another CTRNAND transfer from a higher firmware like 11.2. I'm just going to assume you don't have a NAND backup since you tried the transfer first.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What did you use for the CTRNAND transfer? Try to use Decrypt9 if you didn't before Godmode doesn't restore the same way. You could also try another CTRNAND transfer from a higher firmware like 11.2. I'm just going to assume you don't have a NAND backup since you tried the transfer first.
Yep. He didn't have a NAND backup.

And I don't think using Decrypt9 will make any difference. I used latest version of Godmod9.

I'll try the CTRNand Transfer to 11.2. I'll answer back after doing so.

Thanks for answering.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you have a nand backup? Do you have an ntrboot card?
No to both.

I don't think a NTRBoot card would help.

If you read my post, you'd know I can still access Luma's config and Luma's chainload menu (also Godmod9 and other firms).

It's just that the CTRTransfer didn't work. I'm guessing it's because some essential system files are not restored with the CTRTransfer process.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And I don't think using Decrypt9 will make any difference. I used latest version of Godmod9.

Thanks for answering.

No to both.

If you read my post, you'd know I can still access Luma's config and Luma's chainload menu (also Godmod9 and other firms).
Well I know that it's been discovered Godmode (including the lastest version) doesn't restore the CTRNAND after a transfer properly. The dev even uploaded a potential temp fix for it in another thread, and said it would be worked on. Seriously, use Decrypt9.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for answering.

No to both.

It's just that the CTRTransfer didn't work. I'm guessing it's because some essential system files are not restored with the CTRTransfer process.
I can also confirm the person above is correct. Godmode9 currently doesn't do ctrnand transfers properly, but decrypt9 does. It's a well known problem that's being worked on.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can also confirm the person above is correct. Godmode9 currently doesn't do ctrnand transfers properly, but decrypt9 does. It's a well known problem that's being worked on.
Alright. I'll test with it.

By the way, just a quick question I'm not really sure about.

A CTRNAND Transfer would work even if the system NAND was completely empty?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A majority of it yes, but not the entire nand. Though it would be very difficult to delete the entirety of the nand, you would have to be really trying to do that.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Empty as in "bare bones/no programs" or empty as in nonexistent? Yes, to both but the latter would require NTRBootHaX to load a FULL CTRNAND/emuNAND from the flashcard each boot.

EDIT: :ph34r:

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Empty as in "bare bones/no programs" or empty as in nonexistent? Yes, to both but the latter would require NTRBootHaX to load a FULL CTRNAND/emuNAND from the flashcard each boot.

technically CTRNAND is not the entire nand, but is a majority of it (everything important for the 3ds functions). The other parts are afaik mostly things like DSiWare stuff.

Reactions: Majickhat55

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I meant it more as in deleted every file in NAND, but the FIRMs of course.

A majority of it yes, but not the entire nand. Though it would be very difficult to delete the entirety of the nand, you would have to be really trying to do that.
Good. So, I should throw away the idea I had about CTRTransfer not restoring some system files. Thanks.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
technically CTRNAND is not the entire nand, but is a majority of it (everything important for the 3ds functions). The other parts are afaik mostly things like DSiWare stuff.
Yeah I know, but it would still let the console "work" more or less. I mean in all honesty, if you don't have a NAND chip at all, you just need a new console Lol.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I had a similar problem, someone gave me an N3DS that also wouldn't boot, but loaded into the chainloader menu just fine.

GM9 CTRTransfer wouldn't work after about 3 retries and redownloads, finally someone suggested to try Decrypt9 (because apparently GM9 doesn't fix some headers or something), and that's what finally made it work.

Reactions: Olmectron

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I had a similar problem, someone gave me an N3DS that also wouldn't boot, but loaded into the chainloader menu just fine.

GM9 CTRTransfer wouldn't work after about 3 retries and redownloads, finally someone suggested to try Decrypt9 (because apparently GM9 doesn't fix some headers or something), and that's what finally made it work.
Yep.

I forgot to answer.

Solved it already thanks to Decrypt9. So, thank you to everyone who commented!

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1