Hacking [QUESTION] How to install and play games from a different region

mechagnizmz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I am looking to play games from different regions (USA and JAP) on my EUR 5.5.1 Wii U. Does anyone know how to do this?
I've read about using a fw.img but I am unsure of how to do so. Finally, I use Haxchi (one click on brain age in quick start menu and MochaCFW loads) and do not want to use CBHC due its huge risk of bricking. So, I want a nice, easy, quick way to do so that does not take a lot of complicated steps like RegionHax.

Thanks in advance.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
fw.img method is old.

the first way custom firmware worked was by patching the firmware file on computer, placing it on SD card, and reloading it using an homebrew.
new way is to run a patcher homebrew, and it patches the firmware directly in memory on the console. no more physically modified firmware image to load from an SD card.

If you use Haxchi, you already have it !
Haxchi and CBHC are both patching the firmware to allow you to play games from all regions.
Mocha CFW is also doing it, but is totally unnecessary, lot of additional patches and console rebooting for nothing.

just use haxchi, launch it with keeping pressing B button until the consoles reloads (the default behavior is B pressed = patch firmware and return to main menu)

if you want, you can change haxchi behavior to have :

default (no button pressed) = sysmenu, it will patch the firmware and return to system menu. run it to play out of region games, or DLC, or eshop games installed with WUPinstaller.
a pressed = load fw.img (deprecated, it's there for dev and unbrick purpose)
b pressed = load homebrew launcher

you have to edit the config.txt on your sd:/hachi/config.txt file, and reinstall haxchi to put that file inside your console.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: mechagnizmz

mechagnizmz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I installed Mario Kart 8 USA and the latest update (v4.1 USA) with it and when I load Mario Kart 8 after running Haxchi CFW (like you told me to) it just crashes with an infinite 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep' sound. Do you know how I can fix this problem and actually play the game?
As always, thanks in advance.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Some games have region specific files that the game is coded to look for depending on region the console tells out (this is invention as old as model 1 Mega Drive!) - Most games have universal files - It is more or less same game and same files in all parts of the world. Other games are not like this, AFAIK biggest known is NES REMIX games, and some others. These games will crash when they are launched and made to seek data they are not finding according to given instruction - the data just is not there in "English European" or whatever folder it has instructed to load so it crashes.

For these games; Just seek your region's version, if possible. This might go to dangerous zone but both PAL and NTSC US versions of most games are out there in wild in one way or another. Korean, Chinese and Japanese versions are the harder ones to find.

All in all there is no reason to have Mario Kart 8 USA version in European console when the european version is out there. I can tell, even my book shelf has one!

Reactions: kend09g

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ah, you wanted to install a game from another region which exist in your region, and a game which connect to online servers?
I thought you'd try a game which weren't released in europe, something like a japanese game only.
Why not install Mario kart EUR ? Is there any reason you want to use USA online servers?

Like Sumea said, some games require file edition. it was easy when done with Loadiine (you edited the files on the SD card)
but on installed game, you need to edit the console's file content, which can be dangerous.
look at loadiine compatibility list on GBATemp's wiki, there is usually the information to explain what to do to play the game from another region.

mechagnizmz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for responding so quickly.
The reason why I would like to play mk8 USA is because I have a HUGE code list for mk8 v4.1 USA (powerful stuff such as Drive after finish, no countdown, timer freeze online code that I would like to use) and for mk8 v4.1 EUR, my code list is half the size with many of these hacks simply freezing the console.

So, is RegionHax the only way I can actually launch this game?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for responding so quickly.
The reason why I would like to play mk8 USA is because I have a HUGE code list for mk8 v4.1 USA (powerful stuff such as Drive after finish, no countdown, timer freeze online code that I would like to use) and for mk8 v4.1 EUR, my code list is half the size with many of these hacks simply freezing the console.

So, is RegionHax the only way I can actually launch this game?
No don't use regionhax download spiik and put it in you wiiu apps folder start your cfw then load homebrew channel then select spiik set region to usa and language to English then the wiiu will reset select Mario kart 8 and it will load.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-spiik-region-language-changer.464126/

Last edited by AmandaRose,

mechagnizmz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I tried your suggestion and this time the USA Mario Kart 8 simply loops infinitely on the Mario Kart 8 logo and the game doesn't actually load (you can't get to the main menu). What should I try now? I am hoping that RegionHax isn't needed.
As always thanks in advance.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like with all hacks, regionhax can brick. Although, when following the process correctly, it's fairly safe, and very convenient.

The worst part for me was finding the right files and a compiled wupserver fw.img. Of course it can always be compiled.

mechagnizmz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, can you post the links to the files (please post it here or PM me) and secondly, I have a question about RegionHax. The question is that if I am following a guide like this one (here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/spoofing-a-wii-u-from-5-5-1-5-5-2-and-disabling-updates.477781/ See the instructions under spoofing) do I need to download and install the data for all regions or just one?

I'll see if i can make a pack for regionhax. i had the same problem with just haxchi loading mk8 out of region.

But to be 100% honest. I prefer CBHC+RegionHax. As long as the guides are followed to the letter, its extremely conventient. I love having hacks from boot, and having a menu to where I can boot into homebrew launcher, mocha, vwii, and vwii homebrew channel directly. To me, the simplicity is worth it. Plus it spoofs your system version to the highest possible version, stopping updates forever. The risks of bricking are extremely small, unless you are just careless during installation. After installation, bricking is even harder to do as the latest version only bricks if you format sysnand or unlink your nnid. Both of which you are unlikely to do. If you worry about other people doing that while you aren't home or something, you can restrict everything with parental controls. If you already have a working installation of haxchi, then you are already half way there.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok, so I tried your suggestion and this time the USA Mario Kart 8 simply loops infinitely on the Mario Kart 8 logo and the game doesn't actually load (you can't get to the main menu). What should I try now? I am hoping that RegionHax isn't needed.
It's not a disc game is it? I helped one guy in the past who wasn't able to load out of region disc games with CFW. Seems that isn't supported, I guess. Regionhax worked for him right away.
Firstly, can you post the links to the files (please post it here or PM me) and secondly, I have a question about RegionHax. The question is that if I am following a guide like this one (here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/spoofing-a-wii-u-from-5-5-1-5-5-2-and-disabling-updates.477781/ See the instructions under spoofing) do I need to download and install the data for all regions or just one?

Those instructions are just for version spoofing. They won't help you with your issue.
I can't actually check what's in the archive, because it keeps saying invalid key, so I'm not sure what you mean by data for all regions. But if there are multiple regions in that archive, you should only install the one for your region.
I'll see if i can make a pack for regionhax. i had the same problem with just haxchi loading mk8 out of region.

But to be 100% honest. I prefer CBHC+RegionHax. As long as the guides are followed to the letter, its extremely conventient. I love having hacks from boot, and having a menu to where I can boot into homebrew launcher, mocha, vwii, and vwii homebrew channel directly. To me, the simplicity is worth it. Plus it spoofs your system version to the highest possible version, stopping updates forever. The risks of bricking are extremely small, unless you are just careless during installation. After installation, bricking is even harder to do as the latest version only bricks if you format sysnand or unlink your nnid. Both of which you are unlikely to do. If you worry about other people doing that while you aren't home or something, you can restrict everything with parental controls. If you already have a working installation of haxchi, then you are already half way there.
Version spoof to 99.99.99 doesn't actually stop system updates, they will happen automatically unless updates are blocked with DNS, manually in the router (or a proxy), or by deleting the update folder on NAND. The latter option is the safest and most future proof.
The 99.99.99 version spoof might remove the need for nnupatcher though. Not sure about that.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

mechagnizmz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I can't be asked to do RegionHax because it takes so long to set up and it is quite risky so I thought maybe I could simply just make the USA codes work on the EUR game. Do you know a way that I can port the USA codes to work with the EUR version?

mechagnizmz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, don't get me the wrong way, but I really need an answer. I'm losing my patience now. I don't have much longer to mess about waiting for an answer.

Thanks in advance.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, so I can't be asked to do RegionHax because it takes so long to set up and it is quite risky so I thought maybe I could simply just make the USA codes work on the EUR game. Do you know a way that I can port the USA codes to work with the EUR version?

meh, regionhax is just "download a file, edit a value, reupload the file"

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Sorry for necro-ing this dead thread.

relative to the original question
I understand that Haxchi/mocha has region free patches
I also recall that a user can use rednand from a different wiiu to get a pseudo region change but is there for developers only it is finicky / corruption prone.

I'm also aware that an App like Spiik exists, although - it causes black screens on some games (games that matter / smash / mario kart)

to summarize, what's the most efficient way to play out of region games?
I read about regionhax but that's quite a risky mod (from what others say)

Example:
Wiiu is JAP, I wan to play games in english (yes, I've Wup installed an english version of the game)
if the game is multi-lang, it will play as JAP (still), if I use Spiik, *if it doesn't break it*, it will play in english.

just asking for recommendations :)
ps: i'm sure it is possible to mix haxchi and add the spiik patches too, but i haven't checked the gits yet :D

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sorry for necro-ing this dead thread.

relative to the original question
I understand that Haxchi/mocha has region free patches
I also recall that a user can use rednand from a different wiiu to get a pseudo region change but is there for developers only it is finicky / corruption prone.

I'm also aware that an App like Spiik exists, although - it causes black screens on some games (games that matter / smash / mario kart)

to summarize, what's the most efficient way to play out of region games?
I read about regionhax but that's quite a risky mod (from what others say)

Example:
Wiiu is JAP, I wan to play games in english (yes, I've Wup installed an english version of the game)
if the game is multi-lang, it will play as JAP (still), if I use Spiik, *if it doesn't break it*, it will play in english.

just asking for recommendations :)
ps: i'm sure it is possible to mix haxchi and add the spiik patches too, but i haven't checked the gits yet :D

I'd be curious to know if there are any methods that work. I've done a ton of scrounging on the intertoobs and the best I can find is to do what you're doing.

I've found SM 3D World is unaffected by Spiik and freezes with anything other than the JP region on a JP Wii, as is also the case with Pushmo World. Both of these I gave up on and installed the JP region version of the game. Since theres so little text in both games I figure I can work my way through it. Twilight Princess and Nintendo Land are both fixed by running Spiik thankfully.

Last edited by regnad,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the region launch patch (cfw) and the folder language patch (spiik) are two different things.

CFW's region patches allows you to launch games from another region. you'll need that patch every time.
haxchi/CBHC/sigpatch2xxxx have it by default, so you don't need to worry about it.

once the game is launched, you have to see if the language displayed in game is correct or not. found or missing.
Some games just hardcode the language (and therefore it'll always work in that language on any region). Some other games use different folders for each languages, and dynamically link to the folder based on the console's system settings (region/lang).
this is what Spiik is doing : spoofing the region/lang folder, so the game find "us/en/<language files>/" folder instead of "jp/jp/<language files>/" which are most expectedly absent from any non Japanese releases.

Some games might not have us/en, and could be "eu/en" or any other language. not all languages are included in games.
sometime, only english/french/italian, sometime more, you have to try or check the file structure of the game to see what's there or not. for example, you can use JNUSTool with the titleID to browse a game's structure online on the fly. no need to download the game files.

I don't have a japanese console, so I can't tell if that's enough to make other region games working. I know Wii had issues with this setup too and there were no real fix except convert the region physically (region changer) or use a NAND redirection (emuNAND).

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte