Hacking [Question] Homebrew/CFW on a Development Unit?

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Disclaimer: I don't have access to an actual development unit, these are just hypothetical questions.

It's to my understanding that the "Panda" developer 3DS units are pretty much identical to retail units in terms of hardware, however they are running a special firmware that does not allow retail software to be run without being signed for that specific device.

That being the case, how would one be able to access the Homebrew Launcher on such a unit, and subsequently create an emuNAND/install a CFW? Ninjhax, OoTHax, and SmashHax would not be possible since the games can't run on a dev unit, that leaves BrowserHax. The dev units have firmwares labelled 0.0.0 under Settings, so does that mean a specific payload must be made for them in order to load the Homebrew Launcher?

And if a CFW were somehow installed with signature patching, would that enable the dev unit to run retail carts?

Thanks in advance and I understand if these can't be answered due to lack of public knowledge or NDA-restricted information.

BigPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only difference between Panda units and Retail units is the keys/certs used for encryption and signing. The version is not displayed in the setting menu by choice of Nintendo.

Games can run on dev unit if you decrypt them using a retail 3DS unit (xorpads) and rebuild the game into a Debug signed CIA (Witch is possible since the common key is public in the SDK since it is needed to sign the debug cia)

The problem with the Retail Cartridges is that the keys are different and the header also.

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ReiNand has a version for Panda Units but it's very barebones. Also I'm 90% sure ninjhax cannot run on devkits, so MSET exploit is used, or arm9loaderhax.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Dev units basically use other keys, the main difference is that the dev private RSA exponents are known (used in the SDK tools) and therefore allow an official developer to sign content for his own dev unit, he however has to use pre-built accessdesc.
As such, while the homebrew launcher does not run on dev (mostly because it relies on home menu ROPs that would need to be ported to the dev home menu), it doesn't need one to run software as you can sign and encrypt your own cia/ncch for development unit, which means you don't need an exploit to run your software on the device (you however need one for privilege escalation purposes, to run code on the arm9 for example)

Reactions: dankzegriefer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1